ScanJet 7450C.

A co-worker is supposed to get a scanner.
One of the scanners that looks good is the ScanJet 7450C.
When I went to PriceGrabber, one of the reviewers had some caveats
that made me think twice.
1) If the glass chips at all, you have to get a new scanner because HP
doesn't replace parts.
2) He also mentioned that documents that don't have white backgrounds
don't always scan clearly. Since this will be used mostly for scanning
documents; some on different colored papers this is a concern.
Has anyone else had any experience with this scanner and are these
criticisms valid?
David Gerstman

"David Gerstman" <dhgerstman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> A co-worker is supposed to get a scanner.
> One of the scanners that looks good is the ScanJet 7450C.
> When I went to PriceGrabber, one of the reviewers had some caveats
> that made me think twice.
> 1) If the glass chips at all, you have to get a new scanner because HP
> doesn't replace parts.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partlist&model=SCANJET7400&HP_model=&modname=ScanJet+7400C%2F7450C%2F7490C&template=main&plist_sval=ALL&plist_styp=flag&keysel=%3F&catsel=%3F
(or use http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q12E21DF8 for a shorter link) has many
replacement parts for the ScanJet 7450C. They do not list the glass, but I
suspect it is fairly rare to chip the glass.

I do not know about scanning colored paper, you may have to adjust the
threshold settings to properly differentiate printed text from the colored
background.

Regards,