Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless problem

I spent two hours yesterday trying to get my Linksys broadband router
installed on my new Dell computer. I have Windows XP Home with the latest
(HUGE) update. I use Norton Internet Security. When I run the setup CD I
get a message that I have no Internet connection. I do have my cable
broadband connection running. I disabled Norton and anything else that I
thought might block the setup. I was on the phone with Linksys tech support
for well over an hour and at the end of the call, they were as frustrated as
I was. The tech at Linksys finally said that I have a bad router and to
return it for another one. Since their software couldn't see my Internet
connection, it seems more like a software problem to me. Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Rotorhead

"Rotorhead" <byline1not@charter.net> wrote in message
>I spent two hours yesterday trying to get my Linksys broadband router
>installed on my new Dell computer. I have Windows XP Home with the
>latest (HUGE) update. I use Norton Internet Security. When I run the
>setup CD I get a message that I have no Internet connection. I do have
>my cable broadband connection running. I disabled Norton and anything
>else that I thought might block the setup. I was on the phone with
>Linksys tech support for well over an hour and at the end of the call,
>they were as frustrated as I was. The tech at Linksys finally said that
>I have a bad router and to return it for another one. Since their
>software couldn't see my Internet connection, it seems more like a
>software problem to me. Any thoughts?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rotorhead

Having an IP address and no connection is common after disabling the SP2
firewall. Select the wireless connection, TCP/IP properties, General
tab, Advanced button, Options tab, TCP/IP filtering properties, check
the Enable TCP/IP filtering box, change the protocols and port to Permit
All from Permit Only.

"Rotorhead" <byline1not@charter.net> wrote in message
> I spent two hours yesterday trying to get my Linksys broadband router
> installed on my new Dell computer. I have Windows XP Home with the latest
> (HUGE) update. I use Norton Internet Security. When I run the setup CD I
> get a message that I have no Internet connection. I do have my cable
> broadband connection running. I disabled Norton and anything else that I
> thought might block the setup. I was on the phone with Linksys tech
support
> for well over an hour and at the end of the call, they were as frustrated
as
> I was. The tech at Linksys finally said that I have a bad router and to
> return it for another one. Since their software couldn't see my Internet
> connection, it seems more like a software problem to me. Any thoughts?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rotorhead

Let's take this one step at a time:

1. Does your PC work with your cable modem now?
2. If you connect the Ethernet cable from the PC to one of the LAN ports on
your BEFW11S4 (be sure it's NOT the uplink port), can you reach the router
by bringing up 192.168.1.1 in your web browser?
3. If you connect the WAN port on the BEFW11S4 to the cable modem, does the
"status" page of the router setup screens show it having an IP address?

Post the answers to these questions, and we'll have a better idea of what to
do.

HTH.

William
--
William Warren
(Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)

>> I spent two hours yesterday trying to get my Linksys broadband router
>> installed on my new Dell computer. I have Windows XP Home with the
>> latest

>> (> Let's take this one step at a time:
>
> 1. Does your PC work with your cable modem now?

The PC does work with the cable modem now.

> 2. If you connect the Ethernet cable from the PC to one of the LAN ports
> on
> your BEFW11S4 (be sure it's NOT the uplink port), can you reach the router
> by bringing up 192.168.1.1 in your web browser?

Yes.

> 3. If you connect the WAN port on the BEFW11S4 to the cable modem, does
> the
> "status" page of the router setup screens show it having an IP address?

There is no IP address on the status page. The Linksys tech had me try
everything he could think of. Any idea why the setup CD can't see my
Internet connection?

Rotorhead

Rotorhead <byline1not@charter.net> wrote:
> I spent two hours yesterday trying to get my Linksys broadband router
> installed on my new Dell computer. I have Windows XP Home with the latest
> (HUGE) update. I use Norton Internet Security. When I run the setup CD I
> get a message that I have no Internet connection. I do have my cable

The cable might require that your router's MAC address is registered with
them. This is true of my Mediacom cable. If I disconnect my desktop and
plug in my laptop, any web browser window will open to an authentication
page at https://12.223.4.9/ and I can tell it to remove the old MAC and
connect to the new MAC.

If I connect a router, this web page doesn't come up, and I have no
particular clue why I can't connect to the internet. The Linksys has a
"Clone MAC" option where you can key in the MAC of your PC so that the
cableco can't see the difference between the original PC and your router.

Once I do that, the router works fine with the cable connection.

On WindowsXP, start-run-cmd ipconfig /all
look for the Physical Address to see the MAC of your PC.

The alternative is to call your Cable Support.

--
---

"Rotorhead" <byline1not@charter.net> wrote in message
>I spent two hours yesterday trying to get my Linksys broadband router
>installed on my new Dell computer. I have Windows XP Home with the
>latest (HUGE) update. I use Norton Internet Security. When I run the
>setup CD I get a message that I have no Internet connection. I do have
>my cable broadband connection running. I disabled Norton and anything
>else that I thought might block the setup. I was on the phone with
>Linksys tech support for well over an hour and at the end of the call,
>they were as frustrated as I was. The tech at Linksys finally said that
>I have a bad router and to return it for another one. Since their
>software couldn't see my Internet connection, it seems more like a
>software problem to me. Any thoughts?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rotorhead

The first step to getting a new router working is to power down the
cable modem and router for five or ten seconds. Power up the modem, and
when it is booted, power up the router. This clears the modem's MAC
table and permits a new router or computer NIC to be connected. This is
a pretty standard procedure for most cable systems. Unless the modem
accepts the router's MAC and issues it a WAN IP address, there is no
hope of acquiring an internet connection for the computer.