2002 XP pro won't load on new comp.with XP home

I had a Hew Pack with Windows ME on it. It crashed in 2002 and I bought XP pro.
Come to find out it would not load on my computer. So I put it aside. Now I
bought a new Dell with XP home edition and I want to use my $200 XP pro now
BUT I get a openning meesage the version on the computer is new than the XP
pro. To install is I'd have to completely remove the Home edition. Is is
really worth it???
And is there any other way.???
3 answers Last reply
More about 2002 load comp with home

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    If you have a "Retail Version", and not an "OEM Version" of
    Windows XP Professional, you can upgrade over an existing
    Windows XP Home Edition installation. However, if SP2 is
    installed on your computer, you'll need to make a new
    Windows XP Professional CD with SP2 "slipstreamed" in order
    to perform the upgrade.

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    or

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Once you've made a new Windows XP w/SP2 CD, perform the following:

    1. Uninstall your current antivirus program.
    2. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
    3. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    4. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select
    the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]
    5. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.
    6. Reinstall your antivirus program and defrag your hard drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    In news:60334FD4-BC8B-4C4B-B0AF-7ECC9EA4256A@microsoft.com,
    Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I had a Hew Pack with Windows ME on it. It crashed in 2002 and
    > bought XP pro. Come to find out it would not load on my
    > computer. So
    > I put it aside. Now I bought a new Dell with XP home edition
    > and I
    > want to use my $200 XP pro now BUT I get a openning meesage the
    > version on the computer is new than the XP pro. To install is
    > I'd
    > have to completely remove the Home edition.

    No, you do *not* have to do that. See below.

    > Is is really worth it???

    Very likely not, and XP Home would probably suit you just as
    well. Are you aware that XP Home and Professional are identical
    except that Professional includes a few features (mostly related
    to security and networking) missing from Home? Most home users
    don't need and would never use these extra features and will see
    no benefits by upgrading.

    For details go to

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    connections, and Home only five.

    You might be better off keeping XP Home and selling your XP
    professional.

    > And is there any other way.???

    If you do decide to upgrade, your problem is that you have SP2
    installed, and your XP Professional Upgrade is without it, so is
    an older version than what's installed.

    You have two choices:

    1. Uninstall SP2, do the upgrade, then reinstall SP2.

    2. Create a slipstreamed version of XP Professional, including
    SP2, and use it. See

    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi, Mike.

    As Carey said...

    Service Pack 2 for Windows XP didn't arrive until August 2004, so the retail
    WinXP CD-ROM you bought back in 2002 would not have had SP2. The new Dell
    you just bought recently would have SP2 included in the pre-installed WinXP
    Home Edition. That's why it tells you that the version on your computer is
    newer that on that 2002-vintage CD.

    There's no way to back SP2 out of your pre-installed WinXP, so you'll need
    to use a WinXP CD-ROM that has SP2 integrated into it. If you buy a new
    WinXP today, it will have SP2. But to use your older CD, you'll have to get
    SP2 and "slipstream" it into a new CD, using your CD burner, as Carey said.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    >I had a Hew Pack with Windows ME on it. It crashed in 2002 and I bought XP
    >pro.
    > Come to find out it would not load on my computer. So I put it aside. Now
    > bought a new Dell with XP home edition and I want to use my $200 XP pro
    > now
    > BUT I get a openning meesage the version on the computer is new than the
    > XP
    > pro. To install is I'd have to completely remove the Home edition. Is is
    > really worth it???
    > And is there any other way.???

Computers Microsoft Windows XP