A7N8X and Vantec Aeroflow

RPMayhem

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
I just finished puting together my new computer and ran into a problem I thought I should warn others about. When I tried to install the Vantec Aeroflow CPU fan on the CPU, I discovered that the transitors (or whatever they are) next to the CPU get in the way. The Aeroflow has to be installed differently than most heatsinks. You have to put the first clip on the tabs by holding the heatsink at an angle then setting it flat on the CPU. The reason for this is that the back clip doesn't bend as much as most clips, and as a result the transitors get in the way. This could lead to a chipped or broken CPU if you are not careful. Anyone with experience should be able to do this, but I don't recommend this combo to people who haven't done very many heatsink installations. Other than this, the CPU stays very cool and the system works well. I give my thumbs up to both mobo and heatsink/fan. Both work well. Just a heads up.

PS - I also had a problem with the onboard sound and Win98SE, but that was quickly solved with a special windows update.

"Yes, you could just buy a computer from Dell, but that would take all the fun out of building it."