URGENT: considering a cheap intel OC system

bsdtamashi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
heya guys.

i'm building a moderately cheap system with a celeron 2.2GHz. i'm currently considering asus p4pe, but i want to ask if abit bh-7 is of any good as an OC mobo. e7205 boards is just out of reach (financially) and the same case applies to the upcoming 865/875 chipsets.

so, which is a better buy, asus p4pe or abit bh-7?

thanks.

<hr>
:: L'Arc~en~Ciel on BSD ::

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well to tell you the truth, you can grab an AMD Athlon based system which will perform better at stock as well as in overclocking for at MOST the same price you would be spending on the Celeron/mobo setup. Between the two, I say the Asus is better, but if going with AMD you can grab a VIA KT333 based motherboad like MSI's KT3 Ultra2, a great board, add an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ or anything with a price tag you like and guaranteed it will outperform the celron based system... i mean common dude, celeron is a garbage processor... might as well go with a Via C3.. heh

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

bsdtamashi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
thanks for the reply :)

and yes, an athlon xp 2000+ would seem like a better buy. but the socket478-i845pe platform seems like it would stay for awhile since the chipset is (partly) guaranteed to run 800MHz FSB p4s; so that it would survive for awhile IMO. so, the jump to athlon is sorta hard for me.

the celeron will be replaced with a higher clocked p4 in 2 months time (at least a 3.06GHz p4). i know i should go for a granite bay board, but my pocket is kinda dry.

and i didnt mention gigabyte's ga-8pe667 in my original post, so include it in my choice. could you state a reason why the abit bh7 is not the better choice? stability while OCing is my main criteria for a purchase. i intend to OC the celeron as high as it can go while maintaining stability, since it will stay that way 24/7.

i'm giving myself 1-2 weeks to think about this before settling on a purchase. any comments/suggestions is welcome.

UPDATE: seems like i don't have 1-2 weeks. there's a parts store in my neighbourhood putting out a sale for all mobos. the sale is on the weekend (29-30th March). hehehe. Please help.

:D

always the happy guy.

<hr>
:: L'Arc~en~Ciel on BSD ::<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bsdtamashi on 03/27/03 02:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bsdtamashi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
ga-8pe667 seems like a good buy. but i see a lot more ppl buy asus p4pe nowadays (forums etc). what do you guys say?

<hr>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I don't like Gigabyte, they put out a lot of lemon boards, including the infamous Ga-7vrxp, (first revision) which had horrific problems. The Asus p4pe isn't bad, but isn't a stellar overclocker either. Look around for some reviews, like <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.comp" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.comp</A>, the Bh7 got very good reviews all around. About staying around a while, the pentium 4'll be around a while yes, but so will the athlon, at least until the end of this year and sometime into next year as well, depending on how the hammer pans out (my guess, take it for all its worth if you want to).

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I don't particularly like the gigabyte board - they're just nothing special compared to the abit and asus. Now i say the asus because between the two, the asus is the more solid mobo, but if you're looking for something completely tweakable I guess the abit is the better choice... though I would still go with an AMD based system between the two - but again, thats just me...

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

bsdtamashi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
yea i read the bh7 review on hardocp. and count the gigabyte out of the options. my research on the net doesnt find the board that good. i put it in the option just in case i was wrong bout it.

i'll wait until tomorrow before purchasing the board. tough choice between these two. (p4pe vs bh7)

thanks for your reply.

:D

<hr>