Windows Logon Password

My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to help settle his estate. He bought a new
computer before Christmas but I don't know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check
to see if there are important documents and photos that should be saved before formating the hard drive and
offering the system for sale. How can i get around the logon password?

Rick
4 answers Last reply
More about windows logon password

    "Rick" <nospam.sandyez@deletespam.golden.net> wrote in message
    > My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to
    > help settle his estate. He bought a new computer before Christmas but
    > I don't know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up
    > and check to see if there are important documents and photos that
    > should be saved before formating the hard drive and offering the
    > system for sale. How can i get around the logon password?
    >
    > Rick

    Remove the hard drive and install it as a slave drive in another machine.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi,

    Also, boot to Safe mode, try the administrator account.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rick" <nospam.sandyez@deletespam.golden.net> wrote in message
    > My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to help
    > settle his estate. He bought a new computer before Christmas but I don't
    > know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check to
    > see if there are important documents and photos that should be saved
    > before formating the hard drive and offering the system for sale. How can
    > i get around the logon password?
    >
    > Rick

    Hi Rick,

    Sorry for your loss.

    This article lists several possible solutions.
    Password Lost: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Rick wrote:
    > My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and
    > I have to help settle his estate. He bought a new
    > computer before Christmas but I don't know the Windows
    > Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check to
    > see if there are important documents and photos that
    > should be saved before formating the hard drive and
    > offering the system for sale. How can i get around the
    > logon password?
    > Rick

    Thanks everyone I will try your suggestions.
    Rick
    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message news:O3opYtZBFHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > Sorry for your loss.
    >
    > This article lists several possible solutions.
    > Password Lost: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Rick wrote:
    >> My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and
    >> I have to help settle his estate. He bought a new
    >> computer before Christmas but I don't know the Windows
    >> Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check to
    >> see if there are important documents and photos that
    >> should be saved before formating the hard drive and
    >> offering the system for sale. How can i get around the
    >> logon password?
    >> Rick

Microsoft Windows XP