Windows Logon Password

January 28, 2005 7:21:25 PM

My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to help settle his estate. He bought a new
computer before Christmas but I don't know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check
to see if there are important documents and photos that should be saved before formating the hard drive and
offering the system for sale. How can i get around the logon password?

Rick

More about : windows logon password

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:21:26 PM

"Rick" <nospam.sandyez@deletespam.golden.net> wrote in message
> My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to
> help settle his estate. He bought a new computer before Christmas but
> I don't know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up
> and check to see if there are important documents and photos that
> should be saved before formating the hard drive and offering the
> system for sale. How can i get around the logon password?
>
> Rick

Remove the hard drive and install it as a slave drive in another machine.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi,

Also, boot to Safe mode, try the administrator account.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rick" <nospam.sandyez@deletespam.golden.net> wrote in message
> My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and I have to help
> settle his estate. He bought a new computer before Christmas but I don't
> know the Windows Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check to
> see if there are important documents and photos that should be saved
> before formating the hard drive and offering the system for sale. How can
> i get around the logon password?
>
> Rick
January 28, 2005 10:41:58 PM

Hi Rick,

Sorry for your loss.

This article lists several possible solutions.
Password Lost: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Rick wrote:
> My wife's Uncle a widower recently passed on. My wife and
> I have to help settle his estate. He bought a new
> computer before Christmas but I don't know the Windows
> Logon Password. I need to boot the system up and check to
> see if there are important documents and photos that
> should be saved before formating the hard drive and
> offering the system for sale. How can i get around the
> logon password?
> Rick
January 29, 2005 12:56:54 PM

Thanks everyone I will try your suggestions.
Rick

!