How format usb drive?

I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a Linux
server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it wont see
the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt show up at all
as external storage in the drive list.

How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?

thanks for any tip!

Gordon

jtsnow wrote:
> I have a USB external hard drive for back up. It was formatted by a Linux
> server and now when I plug it into my USB on my Windows XP PC, it wont see
> the drive. It recoginzes there is a HD there, but it doesnt show up at all
> as external storage in the drive list.
>
> How do I go about formatting the external drive via USB?
>
> thanks for any tip!

Log on as an Administrator. Go to Control Panel-Administrative Tools.
Click on Computer management. Go to Storage (expand it if it's not
already) and then click on Disk Management. the unformatted HDD should
show up. Right-click on it and select Format.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(3 weeks and

great help!..thanks!

Gordon wrote:

>Log on as an Administrator. Go to Control Panel-Administrative Tools.
>Click on Computer management. Go to Storage (expand it if it's not
>already) and then click on Disk Management. the unformatted HDD should
>show up. Right-click on it and select Format.

You may first need to r-click Delete and then r-click the resulting
Unallocated space and create a (new) partition.