Help! Incredibly irritating mouse problem with games.

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hello there, I have just completed my new build and it is a beast of a machine. i love it! however I am having a huge problem playing games in it!

The Build:
Asus M3A79-T deluxw
Phenom 2 940
4 GB RAM
1GB GDDR5 4870
Vista 64 Bit

The Problem:
Using the mouse is fine in normal vista and programs however when i enter games i have the following problems:
Right clicking and Middle button clicking makes the view suddenly jump to a random direction.
It happens when i click the button down and when i let go of it!
Its extremely problematic in games like crysis where i cant aim or use suit functions!

What Ive Tried:
Two different mice (one cheap brandless and one average belkin)
Two different games (Crysis and Assassins Creed)
disabling "enhanced pointer something" in mouse settings
disabling UAC
Running in Direct x 9 mode
Running in compatibility mode

Both games and mice run normally on my old XP i mac.

Please help, its so frustrating, crysis looks so good on this system but its unplayable with this problem!

I would appreciate any comments or idea anyone has.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Tried updating the Microsoft mouse drivers? The Intellipoint drivers should function for generic ones as well. The option you mention refers to Pointer Ballistics, but i thought that was XP only. /shrug Logitech ftw

http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/intellipoint-on-vista/

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hmmmm no luck.

Installed the latest intellipoint driver from microsoft (6.3) was unable to get the steps on the link to work though, probably because they are for a 5.x version. There is no OEM.exe. :S

Any other ideas?

GNR

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
This is a motherboard problem, if the latest Asus BIOS doesn't fix it, then you much switch to USB mouse (if you used ps2 mouse) or to ps2 mouse if you the mouse you tested was USB.

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
I've had similar problems in games when using Logitech Laser mouse (Specificaly Crysis). I just shut down the logitech mouse junk thats running before i play games.

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Belinda you legend, it worked! i have the most basic mouse, it only had the one process running for it but ending that ended the probem!

Thank you

is there any way to block the process from starting? is that even safe, or will it stop the mouse from working all together?

GNR i have the latest asus drivers, but im definately thinking of gettin a new mouse and keyboard so i will see if i can get a ps2 one.

Thank you all for your input. :)

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Auslogics Boostspeed has a startup manager which i use to control any bloatware.
I cant actually remember how to do it manually im that much of a noob :eek:

Btw @GNR...BIOS update for a mouse problem? Im glad OP didnt try this!!

GNR

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
pr2thej

Some motherboards have something like strange interrupts from the legacy ps2 (mouse and keyboards) commands that make the system stop responding when a key is pressed repeatedly.

Even worse for example, the ASUS M3A-78 EMH crashes the whole system when you press some buttons repeatedly on the keyboard. You play a game and wonder why the PC crashed? Temperatures? Drivers? no it is the keyboard. Anyway Asus fixed it with an bios update (and they even dared to write it on the changelog).

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
In the end I just uninstalled the mouse drivers and that did the trick! no more problem. I wander if they just werent meant for vista.

Ah well, thanks for your help everyone :)

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Wow, never knew that GNR, i take back my comment.

You would think they could find a better way, its not as if ps2 is totally outdated.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Some BIOS also offer the option to change the A20 gate controller to go from the keyboard to the system. Changeing that to system take away some of the legacy probs with keyboard controllers.

warcoook

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
hi i was reading this in hope to fix the problem with the mouse on GTA san andreas.
are you saying all i have to do if i have a mouse plugged into the ps/2 slot is to delete the 2 drivers that the mouse has?
I want to be sure that is how you do it and fix the problem because i don't want to mess up my dad's computer.
thx.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Windows will automatically create the environment for the mouse at boot up.
The only time I have ever installed mouse drivers was for a special mouse that I had and it turns out that it didnt work correctly anyway.