Need help with surround sound ( 5.1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicbobman52

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
So, I just finished my first gaming/entertainment system build and I want to set up a 5.1 surround system to complement it. now, what I need help with is is picking out a set of speakers, a receiver and a subwoofer in my budget ( 150- 200). Im not sure if that is enough money, but my research is telling me that I need 100-300 so i think I should be OK.
These are going to be used mainly for music, gaming, and movies. now the thing is, these are going into an odd shaped room, so im going to be mounting them on the celling, angled in towards the sitting area ( except the subwoofer, it will be on the ground) ( its hard to explain, but just trust me its an odd room). The other thing is, is this wiring configuration ok ( see below )?
PC ---HDMI--> HD TV --- orange coaxial cable ( I think its S/PDIF ?)---> receiver----> speakers

so thanks for the help people, and sorry, im clueless to surround sound ( right now im using 2 speaker stereo with my 1980's onkyo tx-8500 w/ some even older sony speakers that are about to go :na: )

p.s. sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasent sure if I should put it here or under the home theater section.

jakeythehobo

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
You could go for the Pioneer HTP-071. (Around £250)

The setup would be HDMI-->Receiver-->TV I'm sure.

It also means you could plug in a Blu-ray player, PS3, Xbox 360 into one of the other 3 HDMI inputs.

It's 5.1, 192 kHz / 24-bit...

Here's a link to the system specs:

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/HTP-071/print.html

This would mean you wouldn't need an optical cable, as HDMI deals with audio as well.

Solution

epicbobman52

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks, its a little more then I wanted to spend ( its 320 USD) but I can come up with the extra 20, but its just what I was looking for :D

Status
Not open for further replies.