A couple of quick questions

There was a registry change that I did in win98 that stopped the recent
documents from being used, does anyone if that can be done in XP?

In win98 I used to be able to change the screen properties by clicking a
shortcut in the system tray, I can not find where that is for XP or if it
even exist.

thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about couple quick questions

    Let me clarify, with regards to the recent document question, I have found
    how to do it in the new start menu, but I prefer the classic menu. That
    being said, I am trying to figure out how to do it in the classic menu.

    Thanks,

    "Wingman" <duane0524@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > There was a registry change that I did in win98 that stopped the recent
    > documents from being used, does anyone if that can be done in XP?
    >
    > In win98 I used to be able to change the screen properties by clicking a
    > shortcut in the system tray, I can not find where that is for XP or if it
    > even exist.
    >
    > thanks

    How To Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307875

    To not show your most recently used documents on the Start menu
    1 Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
    2 On the Start Menu tab, click Start menu, and then click Customize.
    3 On the Advanced tab, UNSelect the List my most recently opened documents
    check box.
    -----

    Using TweakUI
    [+] Explorer

    ? Allow Recent Documents on Start menu
    [[This check box enables the display of “Documents” on the classic start
    menu and enables the “List my most recently opened documents” checkbox on
    the Start menu customization dialog.]]

    ? Clear document history on exit
    [[This check box will control whether Explorer will clear the recent
    documents history, run dialog history and typed-URL history when
    you log off]]

    ? Maintain document history
    [[This enables the tracking of recently opened documents on the Start menu
    and on the file menu of many applications. (Note that some applications do
    not respect this setting). ]]
    -----

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ----

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx
    -----

    Registry settings for TweakUI tweaks:

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = Yes, allow recent docs
    1 = No, do not allow recent docs

    Value Name: ClearRecentDocsOnExit
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = No don't clear
    1 = Yes clear them

    Value Name: NoRecentDocsHistory
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = Yes history
    1 = No history
    ----------------------

    If XP Pro you can use Group Edit...
    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    Navigate to >>>
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\

    Remove the Documents menu from the Start menu.

    [[The Documents menu contains links to the nonprogram files that users have
    most recently opened. It appears so that users can easily reopen their
    documents.
    If you enable this setting, the system saves document shortcuts but does not
    display them in the Documents menu. If you later disable it or set it to Not
    Configured, the document shortcuts saved before the setting was enabled and
    while it was in effect appear in the Documents menu.
    Note: This setting does not prevent Windows programs from displaying
    shortcuts to recently opened documents. See the "Do not keep history of
    recently opened documents" setting.
    Also, see the "Do not keep history of recently opened documents" and "Clear
    history of recenTly opened documents on exit" policies in this folder.
    This setting also does not hide document shortcuts displayed in the Open
    dialog box. See the "Hide the dropdown list of recent files" setting. ]]

    Do not keep history of recently opened documents

    [[Prevents the operating system and installed programs from creating and
    displaying shortcuts to recently opened documents.
    If you enable this setting, the system and Windows programs do not create
    shortcuts to documents opened while the setting is in effect. Also, they
    retain but do not display existing document shortcuts. The system empties
    the Documents menu on the Start menu, and Windows programs do not display
    shortcuts at the bottom of the File menu.
    If you disable this setting, the system defaults are enforced. Disabling
    this setting has no effect on the system.
    Note: The system saves document shortcuts in the user profile in the
    System-drive\Documents and Settings\User-name\Recent folder.
    If you enable this setting but do not enable the "Remove Documents menu from
    Start Menu" setting, the Documents menu appears on the Start menu, but it is
    empty.
    If you enable this setting, but then later disable it or set it to Not
    Configured, the document shortcuts saved before the setting was enabled
    reappear in the Documents menu and program File menus.
    This setting does not hide document shortcuts displayed in the Open dialog
    box.]]

    Clear history of recently opened documents on exit

    [[If you enable this setting, the system deletes shortcuts to recently used
    document files when the user logs off. As a result, the Documents menu on
    the Start menu is always empty when the user logs on.
    If you disable or do not configure this setting, the system retains document
    shortcuts, and when a user logs on the Documents menu appears just as it did
    when the user logged off.
    Note: The system saves document shortcuts in the user profile in the
    System-drive\Documents and Settings\User-name\Recent folder. ]]
    -----

    Registry settings for gpedit.msc:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer

    The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
    of 0 is disabled.

    Policy: Remove Recent Documents item from Start Menu
    removes the corresponding checkbox from the Start menu customization CPL.
    Registry Value: "NoRecentDocsMenu"

    Policy: Clear history of recent documents on exit
    the user logs off.
    Registry Value: "ClearRecentDocsOnExit"

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:AtKdnQw8U5hXO2bcRVn-tg@adelphia.com,
    Wingman <duane0524@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:

    Wingman wrote:
    > Let me clarify, with regards to the recent document question, I have found
    > how to do it in the new start menu, but I prefer the classic menu. That
    > being said, I am trying to figure out how to do it in the classic menu.

    Microsoft's TweakUI powertoy has a checkbox option to show/hide recent
    documents in the Start menu (in the Explorer settings.) I believe this
    works in the classic or XPified menu.

    Start --> Run --> gpedit.msc
    I believe there are policy settings to help prevent document tracking..

    I'm guessing this is the one you found/tried?
    User Key:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    System Key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

    This path assumes that you have not selected "Classic Start Menu".
    If you have done so it will not appear like Wes said. From the Start, follow
    the path to where the radio buttons give a choice of which "Start" display
    menu to use, and swap over to "Start Menu", and you will be ok.
    Rob.
> [...]
    | the Start menu is always empty when the user logs on.
    | If you disable or do not configure this setting, the system retains
    document
    | shortcuts, and when a user logs on the Documents menu appears just as it
    did
    | when the user logged off.
    | Note: The system saves document shortcuts in the user profile in the
    | System-drive\Documents and Settings\User-name\Recent folder. ]]
    | -----
    |
    | Registry settings for gpedit.msc:
    |
    | HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    | Explorer
    |
    | The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a
    value
    | of 0 is disabled.
    |
    | Policy: Remove Recent Documents item from Start Menu
    Also
    | removes the corresponding checkbox from the Start menu customization CPL.
    | Registry Value: "NoRecentDocsMenu"
    |
    | Policy: Clear history of recent documents on exit
    | the user logs off.
    | Registry Value: "ClearRecentDocsOnExit"
    |
    | --
    | Hope this helps. Let us know.
    |
    | Wes
    | MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    |
    | In news:AtKdnQw8U5hXO2bcRVn-tg@adelphia.com,
    | Wingman <duane0524@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
    | > Let me clarify, with regards to the recent document question, I have
    | > found how to do it in the new start menu, but I prefer the classic
    | > menu. That being said, I am trying to figure out how to do it in the
    | > classic menu.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > "Wingman" <duane0524@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    | >> There was a registry change that I did in win98 that stopped the
    | >> recent documents from being used, does anyone if that can be done in
    | >> XP?
    | >>
    | >> In win98 I used to be able to change the screen properties by
    | >> clicking a shortcut in the system tray, I can not find where that is
    | >> for XP or if it even exist.
    | >>
    | >> thanks

Windows XP Registry Microsoft