User Accounts

In my computer I am having one Administrator account , one limited account
and visitors account. (created in place of guest account). Now I find that
even from limited account and visitors account I can access files created in
Administrators account via c:\documents and settings. As I would like to
keep my documents in Administrators account private, is there any way to set
up files in my document so that accept administrator, no one else can have
access to my documents.
TIA.
10 answers Last reply
More about user accounts

    First, make sure that the other accounts are limited.
    Second, in the administrator account, log on, change the password (you can
    change it to the same thing if need be) then there should be a screen asking
    if you want to make its files and folders private. Click YES.

    --
    -Tony Norman

    newbie wrote:
    > In my computer I am having one Administrator account , one limited account
    > and visitors account. (created in place of guest account). Now I find that
    > even from limited account and visitors account I can access files created in
    > Administrators account via c:\documents and settings. As I would like to
    > keep my documents in Administrators account private, is there any way to set
    > up files in my document so that accept administrator, no one else can have
    > access to my documents.
    > TIA.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    newbie wrote:
    > In my computer I am having one Administrator account , one limited account
    > and visitors account. (created in place of guest account). Now I find that
    > even from limited account and visitors account I can access files created in
    > Administrators account via c:\documents and settings. As I would like to
    > keep my documents in Administrators account private, is there any way to set
    > up files in my document so that accept administrator, no one else can have
    > access to my documents.
    > TIA.

    Under normal circumstances, you can safely convert the partition to
    NTFS whenever desired, without having to format the partition and
    reinstall everything. As always when performing any serious changes,
    back up any important data before proceeding, just in case. A little
    advance preparation is also strongly recommended, so you can avoid any
    performance hits caused by the default cluster size:

    Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm

    Once you've converted to a securable file system:

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I did as advised by you, but their was no screen asking me to make my files
    and folders private. Mine is windows xp without sp2.
    What should I do now?
    TIA.

    "Tony Norman" <Tony Norman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > First, make sure that the other accounts are limited.
    > Second, in the administrator account, log on, change the password (you can
    > change it to the same thing if need be) then there should be a screen
    asking
    > if you want to make its files and folders private. Click YES.
    >
    > --
    > -Tony Norman
    >

    > "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > In my computer I am having one Administrator account , one limited
    account
    > > and visitors account. (created in place of guest account). Now I find
    that
    > > even from limited account and visitors account I can access files
    created
    > > in
    > > Administrators account via c:\documents and settings. As I would like to
    > > keep my documents in Administrators account private, is there any way to
    > > set
    > > up files in my document so that accept administrator, no one else can
    have
    > > access to my documents.
    > > TIA.

    HI Bruce,
    What you are telling me is, if I am using FAT32, there is no way, I can keep
    My folders and file private, even in administrators account, from other
    limited users of same computers. That means as far as FAT32 is concerned
    there is no privacy between administrator and limited account. Right?
    Regards.

    > HI Bruce,
    > What you are telling me is, if I am using FAT32, there is no way, I
    > can keep My folders and file private, even in administrators account,
    > from other limited users of same computers. That means as far as
    > FAT32 is concerned there is no privacy between administrator and
    > limited account. Right? Regards.

    Right.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    newbie wrote:
    > HI Bruce,
    > What you are telling me is, if I am using FAT32, there is no way, I can keep
    > My folders and file private, even in administrators account, from other
    > limited users of same computers.

    Well, there's no way using WinXP's native tools. I suppose that you
    could purchase and install some sort of 3rd party encryption solution.
    A cumbersome method, at best, and on fraught with peril, should you
    lose/forget your password(s).

    > That means as far as FAT32 is concerned
    > there is no privacy between administrator and limited account. Right?

    Right, The FAT32 file system has *NO* security capabilities.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > HI Bruce,
    > > What you are telling me is, if I am using FAT32, there is no way, I
    > > can keep My folders and file private, even in administrators account,
    > > from other limited users of same computers. That means as far as
    > > FAT32 is concerned there is no privacy between administrator and
    > > limited account. Right? Regards.
    >
    > Right.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    That means only alternative is to convert to NTFS. Right.
    Thanks.

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >>> HI Bruce,
    >>> What you are telling me is, if I am using FAT32, there is no way, I
    >>> can keep My folders and file private, even in administrators
    >>> account, from other limited users of same computers. That means as
    >>> far as FAT32 is concerned there is no privacy between administrator
    >>> and limited account. Right? Regards.
    >>
    >> Right.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >>
    > That means only alternative is to convert to NTFS. Right.
    > Thanks.

    That's just one of the reasons to use NTFS.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    newbie wrote:

    > That means only alternative is to convert to NTFS. Right.
    > Thanks.

    Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
    option. FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
    capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
    on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size. But your computing needs may
    vary, and there is no hard and fast answer.

    To answer your questions without getting too technical is
    difficult, but has been handled quite well by Alex Nichol in the
    article here:

    FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm

    Somewhat more technical information is here:

    Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314463

    Choosing Between File Systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/techrep/filesyst.asp

    NTFS file system