Icons lost

Icons that were on the desktop and start menu have changed to blue and white
boxes instead of their original icons (like Word and Excel icons - - now are
blue and white rectangular boxes - - same with OE and other programs).

I have tried restarting, but still get the blue box icons.
I have tried right clicking the icons to change the icon, but there is no
method to do that on the MS icons or for shortcut to desktop icon or IE icon
(this method did work for icons for non-MS programs).

Any help about these two questions is appreciated:

1. What causes the icons to change?
2. How can I restore the MS program icons?

Thank you

JB
2 answers Last reply
More about icons lost

    Use TweakUI to Repair | Rebuild icons
    [[Rebuilds all Explorer icons and removes unused Explorer icons from memory.
    Rebuild icons when you find that Explorer is displaying the wrong icon for a
    program or shortcut. Note that repairing icons may cause icons to lose any
    custom positions.]]

    TweakUI Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    Download Tweak UI here:
    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===============
    In addition to Wesley's advice:

    Repairs the Icon View [Line 4]

    Or, manually edit the registry and set 'Shell Icon BPP' value to 16:
    Display High Color Icons (All Windows) at Registry Guide for Windows:

    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Icons get corrupted after using Tweak UI "Rebuild Icons" function
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairicons.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:087B5901-7B35-44DD-B3D9-BC944C878B6D@microsoft.com,
    JBNCDOJ <JBNCDOJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Icons that were on the desktop and start menu have changed to blue
    > and white boxes instead of their original icons (like Word and Excel
    > icons - - now are blue and white rectangular boxes - - same with OE
    > and other programs).
    >
    > I have tried restarting, but still get the blue box icons.
    > I have tried right clicking the icons to change the icon, but there
    > is no method to do that on the MS icons or for shortcut to desktop
    > icon or IE icon (this method did work for icons for non-MS programs).
    >
    > Any help about these two questions is appreciated:
    >
    > 1. What causes the icons to change?
    > 2. How can I restore the MS program icons?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > JB

    This worked great for me, thanks for the info to repair them!!
    I have had my icons go nuts like this on many occassion (could be weeks or
    months in between). But what causes it????

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Use TweakUI to Repair | Rebuild icons
    > [[Rebuilds all Explorer icons and removes unused Explorer icons from memory.
    > Rebuild icons when you find that Explorer is displaying the wrong icon for a
    > program or shortcut. Note that repairing icons may cause icons to lose any
    > custom positions.]]
    >
    > TweakUI Guide
    > http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx
    >
    > Download Tweak UI here:
    > Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > Tweak UI
    > TweakUI.exe
    > ===============
    > In addition to Wesley's advice:
    >
    > Repairs the Icon View [Line 4]
    >
    > Or, manually edit the registry and set 'Shell Icon BPP' value to 16:
    > Display High Color Icons (All Windows) at Registry Guide for Windows:
    > http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/39/
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    > www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >
    > Icons get corrupted after using Tweak UI "Rebuild Icons" function
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairicons.htm
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:087B5901-7B35-44DD-B3D9-BC944C878B6D@microsoft.com,
    > JBNCDOJ <JBNCDOJ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Icons that were on the desktop and start menu have changed to blue
    > > and white boxes instead of their original icons (like Word and Excel
    > > icons - - now are blue and white rectangular boxes - - same with OE
    > > and other programs).
    > >
    > > I have tried restarting, but still get the blue box icons.
    > > I have tried right clicking the icons to change the icon, but there
    > > is no method to do that on the MS icons or for shortcut to desktop
    > > icon or IE icon (this method did work for icons for non-MS programs).
    > >
    > > Any help about these two questions is appreciated:
    > >
    > > 1. What causes the icons to change?
    > > 2. How can I restore the MS program icons?
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > JB

Internet Explorer Desktops Microsoft Icons Windows XP