the "bios" idiot! please help him!

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
I know very little about bios settings and what they should be, and what settings work best when overclocking.
win 98 se (I know I need xp)
Asus a7n8x deluxe
AMD 2200+ (running at 1944, no probs)
crucial pc 2700 (2@256)running cas 2
Gainward ti 4200 ultra 650 128mb graphics
Turtle beach santa cruz
plenty of cooling! rarely seen it go over 38 degrees c.
would like to know where I can learn what bios settings should be, like, AGP FREQ. AGP VDDQ Voltage, enable fast write? and so on. Would really like to know what settings to use and when to use them. Any ideas? and exactly what settings work best and are more stable for overclocking on this mobo.
Thanks everyone.

To err is human, too really screw things up you need a computer!

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
NO,
First you tell me why you stole my sig!....lol...
Have been using this sig on here and e-mail for about8 months. Sure would like some help on this bios thing though!
(actualy that was a quote from years ago)
Thanks!

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I have the same board and the manual has a section for bios settings (default). The fast write option should be enabled for better preformance. Be careful when you increase the voltage or frequency as that generates a lot of heat and could do some harm to your system. Check the descriptions in the manual before you make any changes though. I would also look in the oc'ers part of this web site for more info. You'll prolly find some experts there that can give you some good info.You gotta get xp though. You'll wonder why you ever settled for 98. Good luck.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly W 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
Ge Force2/WD 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200

"There is no magic server pixie dust."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because 98SE is better than XP?

I mean, yes, 98SE does crash more often with VIA chipsets, but that's because XP recovers from some VIA errors. Get rid of the junk hardware, no more problems.

But he might want XP because some companies do such a poor job with 9x drivers, yes.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
ok.. well the agp pci frequency you should not touch but for ref it should be something like 66/33.
As for graphics options... fast write and MS 0 Write and read... can help you increase your speed slightly by giving your graphics card increased priority... but it may lead to system crashes... it all depends on what your bios allows you to do... you interested in overcklocking you can read about it online...

Just make sure that the standard stuff is on.. like all your usb ports.. all DMA's... SMART for your hd's etc...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Thanks,
I have read what I have found on overclocking in the bios (my mobo, asus a7n8x, allows me to overclock) but I have yet to find any reading on what combos of changes to work on, v-core and multiplier together, fsb and....and so on.
Know any places to really get a good idea of what needs to be set and whay, would love to understand more!
does cpu need to be unlocked...(amd athlon xp 2200+)
Have gotten to about 1940mhz and then start running into probs.
Thanks again.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
The best way to find that is to search around the web a forums and web sites and get a feel of what others have been able to do as far as overclocking...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Is SMART a good thing? I currently have SMART disabled but thats because I dont know what it does.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>