cheap OS software for real?

I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like
that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.

http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html
4 answers Last reply
More about cheap software real

    Stay away from bogus web sites that claim to sell
    software at "too good to be true" prices. You'll be
    very sorry! Only purchase software locally or from
    a proven, reputable web site. Example:

    You can get a good price for an OEM version
    of Windows XP Professional here:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=37-102-153&DEPA=6

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    jtsnow wrote:
    >I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
    >OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
    >(there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
    >hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something
    >like that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.

    OEM software - so support from Microsoft and buying over ebay - hard to tell
    if it is legit or not.

    ie: Sounds too good to be true, probably is.

    (Did you even bother to read the FAQ for the web page you sent?)
    ( http://fansoft.info/faq.html )

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

    jtsnow wrote:
    > I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
    > OS on a old Dell PII latitude company laptop I have with a fresh install
    > (there is nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some
    > hidden gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like
    > that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
    >

    > http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

    Actually, if you were to clicked the links provided and then read
    the site's self-contradictory,broken English "FAQ," you'd probably
    have known it was a scam. Full OEM CDs that are full retail versions
    that are legal as backup media? Shipped from eastern Europe? All CDs
    shipped with the serial number included in a text file? Definitely
    not legitimate CDs.

    Those people who have reported back here after making purchases
    from several of such web sites have indicated that what they actually
    received was a copy of the widely-known-to-be-pirated Volume Licensed
    version of WinXP Pro. They couldn't even install SP1 without being
    informed that the had an invalid Product Key. And then there were the
    mysterious charges that started appearing on some of their credit cards....

    Additionally, be very careful buying any software on eBay, as eBay
    makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales are legitimate; they
    react only after someone has been ripped off and files a complaint.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. ...
    <snip - yeah, another wannabe dupe but smart enough to ask>

    > http:// fansoft . info / ...

    Psst, psst. Hey, buddy, back here, yeah, over here. See this Mercedes
    CL65 AMG over here (http://snipurl.com/cl65amg), absolutely pristine
    condition, only 45 miles, 604 horsepower, fully tricked out. Suggested
    retail price is $178,000 but I can let you have it for $35,000, just
    one-fifth the price. Sure, it's an up and up deal. My mom died and I
    need the cash quick. I'll mail you the pink slip. You'll never see a
    deal like this again. So whaddya say, do we deal? Think of it. You
    could resell it quick for $100,000, still be at a discount, and make
    $65,000. Greed is good. So whaddya say, huh? This has gotta be quick.
    Never mind those sirens. Must be a fire nearby. So whaddya say?

    So, are you still listening to this guy and thinking it really is a
    legal deal? Domain registration for fansoft.info lists the registrant
    in Krinits, RU (Russia). A traceroute to fansoft.info takes you to
    China (and the trace is really slow so it is likely the site will also
    be really slow). APNIC.net's WhoIs says the IP address 211.144.164.202
    (for fansoft.info) is allocated to CHONGQING LIANFENG COMMUNICATION
    Co.,Ltd, China. I didn't realize Cox.net operated in China.

    Yeah, of course, you as a Cox.net user in the USA obviously wants to
    divulge your credit card number to some entity in a country over which
    you have no legal recourse for an illegal sale. Maybe you are extremely
    philanthropic and want those scammers to have a real good time on your
    credit card.

    For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

Windows XP