Laptop freeze when booting up in Windows XP page

When starting up my laptop it freezes on the window xp
blue page and just sits there. I've tried pushing f8 and
starting in safe mode but it still freezes in the same
place what can I do to try and boot the system?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Ursula

Ursula wrote:
> When starting up my laptop it freezes on the window xp
> blue page and just sits there. I've tried pushing f8 and
> starting in safe mode but it still freezes in the same
> place what can I do to try and boot the system?

Instead of Safe Mode, have you tried the Last Known Good Configuration?

All else fails, repair installation may be your only hope.

--
<- Shenan ->
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

Yes I have tried the last know configuration and it still
freezes on the same page. This is a laptop that was
given to me a month ago and I don't have much saved on
the hard drive but there are 3 files I really need and I
don't have them backed up and I don't want to lose them.
If I do a repair will I lose them and how do I do a
repair.

Kind Regards
Ursula

research for

Ursula wrote:
> Yes I have tried the last know configuration and it still
> freezes on the same page. This is a laptop that was
> given to me a month ago and I don't have much saved on
> the hard drive but there are 3 files I really need and I
> don't have them backed up and I don't want to lose them.
> If I do a repair will I lose them and how do I do a
> repair.

Shouldn't lose them.. HOWEVER...
May want to get something like the UltimateBoot CD (
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/ ) to try and get those three files off.

How to perform a repair installation:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/dougknox/doug92.asp
or