Sign in with
Your question

Rockstar Laughing at its Paying Customers?

Last response: in Video Games
February 4, 2009 2:49:00 PM

I am trying to see if any renound sites like this one, will do a little story in regards to GTA IV as R* has been fowling this game up from the get go. The reason is we "GTA IV Gamers" feel used and are mad about this issue and need help voicing our oppinions on the issue.

The way they have been handling the issues in my oppinion is just ridiculous and frankly, they are just blatantly disrespecting their paying customers.

They came out with Patch 1.0.1 or whatever the first patch, and it was a joke, it broke more stuff then it fixed and seemed like it really didn't fix anything TBH. Now R* came out with patch 1.0.2.0 and this thing broke more stuff and made the game unplayable for alot of people as they get out of memory errors "RESC10" where as before patch 1.0.2.0 they didn't have this issue. I my self have been dealing with this error message ever since the game came out. I found through searching on Google a long time, that the issue is a memory leak the Clip Capture option in the game, which is just to edit videos exc.. if, I turn this bad boy "clip capture" off the issue stops. This has been pointed out to them "R*" and they have yet to resolve the issue on setups like mine yet... In most cases including mine they just made more irritating issues like, pop-ins and flickering headlights at night while driving, Flickering lights when in safe house when starting game up "this one might be normal, unsure" flickering objects, textures missing like legs, faces. I have even seen in the videos a couple of different times now "no matter what patch or even no patch" Heads missing off bodies and way over on the other side of the room and similar issues like skins missing off of characters exc ..

ATI came out with a new driver and I can't even get the game to run for longer then ten minutes with it installed "9.1" as it just crashes with no echo back from a DOS window as to what the issue is which they have every possible error covered, trust me on that one. If you like I can post there error codes that they have programmed into the game. I have completely wiped out my OS to try to resolve the issue, reinstalled the game in certain ways like trying to install all updates to software it uses after the game has been installed because I was thinking that maybe the DirectX that they include with the game was writing over the newer version of Direct x in some spots or something along those lines.. I have all possible updates to .net Vista DirectX exc exc. If you need more details or suggestions of things to try then by all means chime in but, I honestly feel I have covered everything possible here as I have no issues with my other games. I reverted back to the 8.12 driers by the way and my random no explanation crashes have stopped.

The way they have been handling it has been, ignore and deny all issues and we will act like nothings wrong. I think that your team should install the game and do some test and see what you think and check out this forum "http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showforum=240", where they "R*" have been posting updates. They were supposed to be helping people and asked people to post their issues in a certain part of the forum so they could help people and so far they have been just ignoring people more then anything. If you poke around on that forum you will see where people are all saying that the issues have just been made worse and no response from R* at all unless it is something simple then the tech support people chime in, other wise they just ignore people..

My system setup is as follows by the way,

MB: P5Q Deluxe, BIOS Version 1702
CPU: Q9450 @ 3.86GHZ 1.29V~
GPU: 2 X 4870 1GB cards at 800 / 925 by default, Driver: 8.12 Hotfix
HD Setup: 2 X WD RE3 320GB 16MB Cache Drives in Raid 0
Memory: 2 X 2GB G-Skill DDR2 1066 @ 1156MHZ~ 2.1V
PS: Silverstone 750W Decathalon Modular
All air cooled, and in a Antec 900 Case

Tell me what you guys think. I appreciate all comments in regards to this issue and thank you for your time.
February 4, 2009 3:00:14 PM

What I would suggest is you dont skip over the actual issues. In about 25 lines of text you briefly refer to some issues with graphic pop-ins (pop up?) and flickering lights...whatever that is.

If you were more specific in both the problems and the attempted resolutions then you might get something going but all this looks like is someone who is pissed coz he cant run the game at max after spending £1000+ on a rig. Its a familiar story.
February 4, 2009 3:15:29 PM

pr2thej said:
What I would suggest is you dont skip over the actual issues. In about 25 lines of text you briefly refer to some issues with graphic pop-ins (pop up?) and flickering lights...whatever that is.

If you were more specific in both the problems and the attempted resolutions then you might get something going but all this looks like is someone who is pissed coz he cant run the game at max after spending £1000+ on a rig. Its a familiar story.

I edited my OP and gave more details. Hope this helps. Tell me what you think and thank you again.
Related resources
February 4, 2009 6:31:30 PM

Did I put enough information in this time?? I thought that would be enough information as that is alot of details right there.
February 4, 2009 7:24:03 PM

Basically, they are not required to give you any help whatsoever. The best you can do is demand a cash refund for the game (required under federal law if a product is defective), although odds are they will refuse every time...

Its this same issue why I'm now suing Bethesia...but thats another story...
February 4, 2009 7:52:06 PM

gamerk316 said:
Basically, they are not required to give you any help whatsoever. The best you can do is demand a cash refund for the game (required under federal law if a product is defective), although odds are they will refuse every time...

Its this same issue why I'm now suing Bethesia...but thats another story...

I wish you nothing but the best with that first of all. Second, they just have a lot of people pissed over this and I am surprised no one like this site for instance has done an article about it "and actually I have seen a few smaller sites complaining about it but, only in an article to say there is a new patch type of deal". It is a pretty big blunder for such a big name game. If you look at that site I linked earlier gtaforums and go under the PC version, there are a lot of other people having these exact same issues complaining it really isn't just me. I don't really want to get my money back either.

I just want them to take it more seriously and fix the issues that's all and show some respect and say, hey we are working towards resolving these issues for you guys right now as they haven't said anything at all in regards to a patch or even a hint. They just came out with the last patch unannounced. I have been waiting for this game forever now, and now that it is here it is a piece of crap as far as coding goes. The game is awesome but, the glitches have got to be fixed before you can actually enjoy the game the right way..
February 7, 2009 12:54:45 AM

my setup runs it just fine. sorry that doesn't help i know.

understand that when they issue a patch... the act of patching released, non subscription based software is your nod of respect. patience.
February 7, 2009 2:37:05 AM

ozarkamax said:
my setup runs it just fine. sorry that doesn't help i know.

understand that when they issue a patch... the act of patching released, non subscription based software is your nod of respect. patience.

True but, if they keep putting out garbage out the gate "bully", then this will give them a bad rep. I my self wouldn't want this for my game company and am surprised peoples reactions are not different.. I think of it like this, what if xbox360 games and ps3 games just didn't work for over half the people playing it when they came out and, after two patches? Then I would think it would be a bigger issue, right?
February 7, 2009 9:36:10 AM

Hmm... the game was another bad console port...
February 7, 2009 12:17:32 PM

amdfangirl said:

Pretty much yeah.. It is kinda sad IMO. I was waiting for this game forever, only to get let down..
February 9, 2009 7:51:43 PM

Actually ... When I got GTA4 I could play it for about 5mins just fine till it crashed. I had no graphic problems or slow downs, just the memory leak. Then patch 1.01 came out ... didn't fix the crashing problem. Patch 1.02 was giving me the RESC10 error as well but let me play the game for about 2 hours now. I figured it was an error on my end so I uninstalled the game, reinstalled and applied patch 1.01. Started the game up and it runs GREAT and SMOOTH!!! No problems what so ever. The game doesn't even crash! So I didn't install 1.02 because I was afraid I might get the RESC10 back lol.

9550 Quad Core, Vista 64, 8gig of memory and GTX 260

~Death Dream~
February 10, 2009 11:54:33 AM

Death Dream said:
Actually ... When I got GTA4 I could play it for about 5mins just fine till it crashed. I had no graphic problems or slow downs, just the memory leak. Then patch 1.01 came out ... didn't fix the crashing problem. Patch 1.02 was giving me the RESC10 error as well but let me play the game for about 2 hours now. I figured it was an error on my end so I uninstalled the game, reinstalled and applied patch 1.01. Started the game up and it runs GREAT and SMOOTH!!! No problems what so ever. The game doesn't even crash! So I didn't install 1.02 because I was afraid I might get the RESC10 back lol.

9550 Quad Core, Vista 64, 8gig of memory and GTX 260

~Death Dream~

Yeah the game is very unstable. I have done clean install of everything exc exc.. I can play the game with patch 1.0.2.0 but, with glitches here and there and a memory leak still but, it takes like 8 hours of play for it to show up. I gave up on it and have been playing Burnout Paradise. I hate EA but, they actually did good on the game it runs better then GTA 4 ever has for me.. That says alot because I really do despise EA.
February 10, 2009 4:39:00 PM

amdfangirl said:

No it's not!

Just have look at the comparison videos for the PC version against the 360 version, the PC version is vastly superior in every way, just because people can't play it at max settings on a 2 year old PC that's no reason to whine that the game is a bad port. The game looks and plays fine if you adjust the settings to match your configuration, in fact I would say GTA IV is the best example of a game that's a true measure of scalability.
February 11, 2009 10:23:39 AM

JeanLuc said:
No it's not!

Just have look at the comparison videos for the PC version against the 360 version, the PC version is vastly superior in every way, just because people can't play it at max settings on a 2 year old PC that's no reason to whine that the game is a bad port. The game looks and plays fine if you adjust the settings to match your configuration, in fact I would say GTA IV is the best example of a game that's a true measure of scalability.

"smack to forhead" Have you seen my specs? My PC is not, 2 years old parts and can't handle this game at max. The game sets itself, at near max settings on my system. I hate people that post before doing some research in regards to what they are reading. The game runs fine smoothness and eye candy wise on my rig, it has to many glitches and can bearly be played because of this, IDIOT . I have been playing burnout paradise, now that game is coded correctly for the PC. GTA IV didn't even have Anti Alliasing coded into it at first. Your dumbness seriously scares me, really..
February 11, 2009 11:11:28 AM

Its fairly well known that GTA IV is designed to be scaleable as JeanLuc says.
e.g. theres nothing out there that can max it now in the enthusiast market but future systems will be able to max it.
Crysis was the same.

Glitches are a different story, and its really frustrating to be one of the first with whatever hardware or softeware only to find out you should be on the manufacturers Quality Testing payroll.
February 11, 2009 1:26:54 PM

truehighroller said:
"smack to forhead" Have you seen my specs? My PC is not, 2 years old parts and can't handle this game at max. The game sets itself, at near max settings on my system. I hate people that post before doing some research in regards to what they are reading. The game runs fine smoothness and eye candy wise on my rig, it has to many glitches and can bearly be played because of this, IDIOT . I have been playing burnout paradise, now that game is coded correctly for the PC. GTA IV didn't even have Anti Alliasing coded into it at first. Your dumbness seriously scares me, really..

:hello: 

You know it's sad to see that your a year older then me (your profile says your 29) and your still posting like a 12 year old. Just clam down a bit yeah?

February 11, 2009 7:54:35 PM

JeanLuc said:
:hello: 

You know it's sad to see that your a year older then me (your profile says your 29) and your still posting like a 12 year old. Just clam down a bit yeah?

Why are you saying my PC is 2 years old? You make no sense. The flaming has started, go away.
February 11, 2009 8:20:34 PM

pr2thej said:
Its fairly well known that GTA IV is designed to be scaleable as JeanLuc says.
e.g. theres nothing out there that can max it now in the enthusiast market but future systems will be able to max it.
Crysis was the same.

Glitches are a different story, and its really frustrating to be one of the first with whatever hardware or softeware only to find out you should be on the manufacturers Quality Testing payroll.

Thanks for a sensible reply. I will say this, I get the following running it at 1920/1080 with the benchmark,

Statistics
Average FPS: 60.61
Duration: 37.27 sec
CPU Usage: 64%
System memory usage: 69%
Video memory usage: 80%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: High
Water Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
View Distance: 41
Detail Distance: 71
Definition: Off
VSync: Off

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.630
Audio Adapter: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

so, I'm not complaining about the performance of the game on my system per say. I am just really disappointed with all the bad glitches that actually hinder a lot of other peoples play bad, to where some people can't play at all or longer then 5 minutes at the most. Now I can play just fine with that option turned off myself "clip capture" I will add again just for clarification. Like I said though after about 8 hours of play it does still show signs of the memory leak like the desktop background will disappear or the game will end up making the PC hard boot all of a sudden. The flickering of the lights and stuff like that are not as bad as these main issues I have pointed out here.
February 11, 2009 8:26:11 PM

truehighroller said:
Why are you saying my PC is 2 years old? You make no sense. The flaming has started, go away.

I think you have taken my comments well out of context, I never said your specific PC was two years old it's just that a lot of the threads I've seen on this subject concerning GTA IV performance the people who have been complaining are the ones who have 2 year old C2D that can't cut the mustard with this game.

Rockstar repeatedly said that GTA IV for the PC was going to be improved from the console version to make full use of the PC's superior hardware and the highest settings were meant for 'future hardware' and for my money that's what they have done. The game on high settings requires a quad core CPU, a large amount of ram and powerful video card, and if you don't have those specs you have crank the settings to down but even then the game still looks better then the 360/PS3 version.

Check out this videofor a direct comparison.

The 360 version looks as if Rockstar drained all the colour out of it.

Also bear in mind I'm talking about performance related issues here and nothing else, if your having other issues other then performance then whine away. I think there's a lot of snobbery here with regards to GTA IV just because it started life on the consoles and as PC gamers we have dismissed the game as little more then a console port when in reality (look at the video) it's a lot better then just a port.
February 11, 2009 8:55:53 PM

Well then you are way off subject because I am talking the glitches and how they are handling the issues at hand.
February 12, 2009 2:36:56 AM

truehighroller said:
Well then you are way off subject because I am talking the glitches and how they are handling the issues at hand.

I think he is a R* employee trying to distract everyone from the real issue about the PC version of the game.
February 12, 2009 7:43:38 AM

And then he could just be a damn nice guy who is raising awareness of the issues for people playing on lesser PCs. Either way, Tom's stopped doing Game reviews a few months back when the team got sent packing.
February 12, 2009 10:08:33 AM

pr2thej said:
And then he could just be a damn nice guy who is raising awareness of the issues for people playing on lesser PCs. Either way, Tom's stopped doing Game reviews a few months back when the team got sent packing.

No, because he said that he is tired of whiners with PCs that can't run it :lol:  .

It's cool though. I am sorry to hear the game review crew got cut. Alot of people are losing jobs, it is very sad.

@trialsking:

Agreed :kaola:  .

I just want them to fix the damn bugs and make the game that people paid for work right already that's all.

Even Death Dream said that he has the leak present as well. I think the memory leak is the root of most issues TBH. I think that is probably why some people can't even play at all as well.
!