Motherboard Upgrade?

deadeye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
My current PC system is based around an Asus A7V333 motherboard and an Athlon XP2100 CPU, which I built about 8 months ago (when the A7V333 had just come out). I've had no problems at all with my Radeon 8500 graphics card and all it well. I have just got a new Radeon 9700 card and am therefore considering upgrading motherboard to provide an AGP 8x interface rather than the 4x present on the Asus board. However no-where can I find performance data to see what kind of an increase the 8x AGP would have. Is it worth it? I know that the performance of the 9700 will also be dependent on the CPU running, how much difference would a processor upgrade make? Assuming that I can get a reasonable improvement by the upgrade, can you suggest a motherboard to satisfy my requirements: (both a P4 and an AMD choice)

Must support Ultra ATA133, and RAID ATA133 (one of the reasons for buying the original A7V333) 6 channel audio Lan (Gigabit preferred, but 100MB/S Ok) USB2 support Firewire AGP 8x Serial ATA - This would be nice, but is not a requirement as the technology is still very new and I will have probably upgraded again before it is commonplace!

In terms of chipsets, I do not really mind, though I know there have been some known problems with certain chipsets and the 9700 cards.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Paul Baker

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
AGP 8x and ATA-133 has no benefit over AGP 4x and ATA-100.

The mobo for you is MSI K7N2G-ILSR. It has <b> Two </b> 10/100 MB/s LAN ports and everything you need. Cheaper than any mobos (AMD/Intel) that have such ammount of features. Plus no non-nForce/nForce2 (MCP-D/MCP-T) mobo will be able to beat it in terms of onboard audio quality. nForce APU is better than Audigy. Moreover, it has integrated GeForce4 MX for "free", though it's useless to you

Submit your opinion <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28537#28537" target="_new"> Should Tom Fire Omid? </A>