Can I use remote desktop in home between 2 pc's using XP h..

I've been fighting remote desktop/control between 2 pc's I have networked
wirelessly. I've been reading and I think I saw I had to have XP pro on the
host pc in order to do this. Can I remote control my daughter's pc in the
basement when both pc's are running XP home edition and not XP PRO? I'm a
paraplegic and I can't get to the other pc that is in the basement, my wife
would sooner smash the pc than drag it back upstairs for me to work on again.
Both pc's have P4 chips and are networked via Netgear wirelessG router. 1 is
a P4 2.4ghz and the host is a P4 3.0ghz. I'm trying to include all info
needed for someone to be able to answer this Q. I hope I didn't leave
anything out and I know I provided some useless info. Just trying to cover
all the bases in 1 post.
Thank You! --
Thanks for the help and for being patient with this "Windows challenged"
newbie/.
JD

jdavis493 wrote:
> I've been fighting remote desktop/control between 2 pc's I have networked
> wirelessly. I've been reading and I think I saw I had to have XP pro on
> the
> host pc in order to do this. Can I remote control my daughter's pc in the
> basement when both pc's are running XP home edition and not XP PRO? I'm a
> paraplegic and I can't get to the other pc that is in the basement, my
> wife
> would sooner smash the pc than drag it back upstairs for me to work on
> again.
> Both pc's have P4 chips and are networked via Netgear wirelessG router. 1
> is
> a P4 2.4ghz and the host is a P4 3.0ghz. I'm trying to include all info
> needed for someone to be able to answer this Q. I hope I didn't leave
> anything out and I know I provided some useless info. Just trying to cover
> all the bases in 1 post.

There is no Remote Desktop HOST in Windows XP Home.
You could install something like "UltaVNC" and get the control you need.

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.com/

--
<- Shenan ->
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

Shenan.
Thanks so much for the quick reply and link. I've just now glanced at it and
it looks like exactly what I've been looking for and need. I sure hope it is
as usuer friendly as described on their site. And ITS FREE! Very cool and
thanks again.
JD

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> jdavis493 wrote:
> > I've been fighting remote desktop/control between 2 pc's I have networked
> > wirelessly. I've been reading and I think I saw I had to have XP pro on
> > the
> > host pc in order to do this. Can I remote control my daughter's pc in the
> > basement when both pc's are running XP home edition and not XP PRO? I'm a
> > paraplegic and I can't get to the other pc that is in the basement, my
> > wife
> > would sooner smash the pc than drag it back upstairs for me to work on
> > again.
> > Both pc's have P4 chips and are networked via Netgear wirelessG router. 1
> > is
> > a P4 2.4ghz and the host is a P4 3.0ghz. I'm trying to include all info
> > needed for someone to be able to answer this Q. I hope I didn't leave
> > anything out and I know I provided some useless info. Just trying to cover
> > all the bases in 1 post.
>
> There is no Remote Desktop HOST in Windows XP Home.
> You could install something like "UltaVNC" and get the control you need.
>
> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.com/
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible
> for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are getting into before
> you jump in with both feet.

Shenan. I found the site but none of the DL links will open for me. Hopefully
they're just down for maint.. I'll keep trying. You wouldn't have any further
advice by chance? I'll keep at it and see what I can do.
Thanks again!

"jdavis493" wrote:

> Shenan.
> Thanks so much for the quick reply and link. I've just now glanced at it and
> it looks like exactly what I've been looking for and need. I sure hope it is
> as usuer friendly as described on their site. And ITS FREE! Very cool and
> thanks again.
> JD
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > jdavis493 wrote:
> > > I've been fighting remote desktop/control between 2 pc's I have networked
> > > wirelessly. I've been reading and I think I saw I had to have XP pro on
> > > the
> > > host pc in order to do this. Can I remote control my daughter's pc in the
> > > basement when both pc's are running XP home edition and not XP PRO? I'm a
> > > paraplegic and I can't get to the other pc that is in the basement, my
> > > wife
> > > would sooner smash the pc than drag it back upstairs for me to work on
> > > again.
> > > Both pc's have P4 chips and are networked via Netgear wirelessG router. 1
> > > is
> > > a P4 2.4ghz and the host is a P4 3.0ghz. I'm trying to include all info
> > > needed for someone to be able to answer this Q. I hope I didn't leave
> > > anything out and I know I provided some useless info. Just trying to cover
> > > all the bases in 1 post.
> >
> > There is no Remote Desktop HOST in Windows XP Home.
> > You could install something like "UltaVNC" and get the control you need.
> >
> > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.com/
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible
> > for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are getting into before
> > you jump in with both feet.

Actually, the address should be http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultravnc/

The downloads are on Files (on top row)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"jdavis493" <jdavis493@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Shenan. I found the site but none of the DL links will open for me.
Hopefully
> they're just down for maint.. I'll keep trying. You wouldn't have any
further
> advice by chance? I'll keep at it and see what I can do.
> Thanks again!
>
> "jdavis493" wrote:
>
> > Shenan.
> > Thanks so much for the quick reply and link. I've just now glanced at it
and
> > it looks like exactly what I've been looking for and need. I sure hope
it is
> > as usuer friendly as described on their site. And ITS FREE! Very cool
and
> > thanks again.
> > JD

I'm a

> > > There is no Remote Desktop HOST in Windows XP Home.
> > > You could install something like "UltaVNC" and get the control you
need.

> > > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.com/
> > >
> > > --
> > > <- Shenan ->
> > > --
> > > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible
> > > for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are getting into
before
> > > you jump in with both feet.

Thank you Mr. Wendell. I'll give it another shot.