Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 (first look)

AfroGeek1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Ok...here's the scoop.If you have been reading the boards , you know that I have had some issues with above mentioned motherboard. I finaly got it up and running. My first thought is it seems to be a little more sluggish than my AMD 2500 barton was. But, I have not really played with the settings. The dual bios does not seem to be doing it's job. I tried some aggresive settings and the motherboard lost video. I had to get old school with it and removed the battery , so I could reset the bios. Came right up after that. But, I thought this board would have been smarter than that. I am now going to exchange my standard DDr for some dual channel DDR and see what this thing can do with some added bandwidth. I'm also going to read the boards to see what OC options I have. This is all for now.

Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394
Intel P4 2.53GHZ 533
ATI Radeo 9700 pro
OCZ PC3200 DDR x 2
Seagate 69GB SATA drive x 2 (raid 0)
Yamaha 44x?x? CD burner

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Well for starters.. sluggish is not necessarily abnormal... XP's are way better at multitasking that p4s... mostly basue of the shorter pipelines.. anyway... why did you upgrade from a 2500 baront?... Check bios settins and flash it... I know there is atleast one update you can make...

As for exchanging your DDR for duar chanell DDR! I thinkg your confuced... dual ddr has nothing to do with the modules.. they are the same ddr modules... all you need is 2 of them...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
am now going to exchange my standard DDr for some dual channel DDR

WTF is that all about? There is no such thing! There are modules that have been tested in pairs, but that means nearly nothing. Two standard modules, when placed in the proper sockets, will give you dual channel. You're going to want to run the memory at Cas2.5 and the rest of the memory settings as fast as possible.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

AfroGeek1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Thanks for your information in reference to the dual channel DDR. I had the same assumption you did. However the Gigabyte gave me an error that read dual channel DDr disabled. From what I know, this was a pretty automatic thing. you put the DDr in the right slots and you're on. I mentioned that to the tech at the store and he informed me that I would have to purchase Dual channel DDR to get more bandwith. The only other assumption I have is that there must be some toggle for it in the bios. I'm going to look now.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The tech is blowing smoke at you, trying to make more money I think. Make sure you have the memory in the proper slots, and see if it's disabled somehow in BIOS.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
make sure that the modules are the same size and have the same timings... that's all you need.. and also make sure you have one in each channel.. A and B...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

AfroGeek1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Thanks for the info guys. Cancelled my order for dual channel DDR. I just noticed that I did not put the DDR in the proper slots for Dual channel mode. Got it going, works fine so far.