Windows Xp Home Hangs during Start

Windows appears to crash just before the welcome screen comes on and stays
with a black screen with the mouse pointer showing. Ive Tried Safe mode same
problem. I done a system restore and same problem. I tried putting the drive
in another computer, im able to see my windows files and access them. but it
wont boot alone in my computer. I do have some error codes from the hard
drive read errors and verify errors 00F0:0244 uncorrectable data error or
media is write protected. Im trying to salvage the drive or atleast map out
the bad sectors. Please advise. Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about windows home hangs start

    Have you tried rebooting into the windows advanced options menu(f8) and
    choosing vga mode?

    "Carl" wrote:

    > Windows Xp Home Hangs during Start
    > Windows appears to crash just before the welcome screen comes on and stays
    > with a black screen with the mouse pointer showing. Ive Tried Safe mode same
    > problem. I done a system restore and same problem. I tried putting the drive
    > in another computer, im able to see my windows files and access them. but it
    > wont boot alone in my computer. I do have some error codes from the hard
    > drive read errors and verify errors 00F0:0244 uncorrectable data error or
    > media is write protected. Im trying to salvage the drive or atleast map out
    > the bad sectors. Please advise. Thanks

    Hi Carl,

    Put the drive in another system, recover the data you want to save. Then,
    put it back in the system, boot with the WinXP CD and run the Recovery
    Console. From the prompt, run "chkdsk c: /r" (without the quotes) and see if
    this helps.

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Carl" <carlhuhn@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Windows Xp Home Hangs during Start
    > Windows appears to crash just before the welcome screen comes on and stays
    > with a black screen with the mouse pointer showing. Ive Tried Safe mode
    > same
    > problem. I done a system restore and same problem. I tried putting the
    > drive
    > in another computer, im able to see my windows files and access them. but
    > it
    > wont boot alone in my computer. I do have some error codes from the hard
    > drive read errors and verify errors 00F0:0244 uncorrectable data error or
    > media is write protected. Im trying to salvage the drive or atleast map
    > out
    > the bad sectors. Please advise. Thanks

    Yes, Also tried in vga mode safe mode same problem just pointer is larger.
    "Mal_E" <MalE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried rebooting into the windows advanced options menu(f8) and
    > choosing vga mode?
    >
    > "Carl" wrote:
    >
    > > Windows Xp Home Hangs during Start
    > > Windows appears to crash just before the welcome screen comes on and
    stays
    > > with a black screen with the mouse pointer showing. Ive Tried Safe mode
    same
    > > problem. I done a system restore and same problem. I tried putting the
    drive
    > > in another computer, im able to see my windows files and access them.
    but it
    > > wont boot alone in my computer. I do have some error codes from the hard
    > > drive read errors and verify errors 00F0:0244 uncorrectable data error
    or
    > > media is write protected. Im trying to salvage the drive or atleast map
    out
    > > the bad sectors. Please advise. Thanks

Windows XP