Error 535FF58H during upgrade from 98 to XP Professional

Tags:
  • Windows 98
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
January 29, 2005 5:55:38 PM

I keep receiving "Error 535FF58H" when trying to upgrade
from Windows 98 to Windows XP Professional. I tried to
look for help in Microsoft's knowledge base, but the best
it can do is send me to a general troubleshooting page for
upgrading to XP.

I don't have any troubleshooting experience, and I get
lost pretty quickly in technical jargon. I was wondering
if one of you who has dealt with this same error could
provide me with a step-by-step explanation--or at least
point me in the right direction--to solve it.

Thank you very much.

--Ben

More about : error 535ff58h upgrade professional

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:21:17 AM

Hi Ben,

It's a generic error, not specific to any one thing. That makes it difficult
to troubleshoot. It could be a hardware incompatibility, a software
conflict, or the system BIOS may need an update. Have you checked that the
system, both hardware and software, are compatible with WinXP or that you
have drivers/updates available for them? Things I would do:

- check compatibility, I can't stress this enough. Some OEM machines are
simply not upgradeable.
- disable (or simply uninstall) your antivirus software.
- remove all unneeded peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.)
- uninstall any third-party CD burning software (reinstall later, it will
conflict with the XP burning engine).
- disconnect the system from the internet.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone