Error 535FF58H during upgrade from 98 to XP Professional

I keep receiving "Error 535FF58H" when trying to upgrade
from Windows 98 to Windows XP Professional. I tried to
look for help in Microsoft's knowledge base, but the best
it can do is send me to a general troubleshooting page for
upgrading to XP.

I don't have any troubleshooting experience, and I get
lost pretty quickly in technical jargon. I was wondering
if one of you who has dealt with this same error could
provide me with a step-by-step explanation--or at least
point me in the right direction--to solve it.

Thank you very much.

--Ben
1 answer Last reply
More about error 535ff58h upgrade professional

    Hi Ben,

    It's a generic error, not specific to any one thing. That makes it difficult
    to troubleshoot. It could be a hardware incompatibility, a software
    conflict, or the system BIOS may need an update. Have you checked that the
    system, both hardware and software, are compatible with WinXP or that you
    have drivers/updates available for them? Things I would do:

    - check compatibility, I can't stress this enough. Some OEM machines are
    simply not upgradeable.
    - disable (or simply uninstall) your antivirus software.
    - remove all unneeded peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.)
    - uninstall any third-party CD burning software (reinstall later, it will
    conflict with the XP burning engine).
    - disconnect the system from the internet.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ben" <benjohn8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I keep receiving "Error 535FF58H" when trying to upgrade
    > from Windows 98 to Windows XP Professional. I tried to
    > look for help in Microsoft's knowledge base, but the best
    > it can do is send me to a general troubleshooting page for
    > upgrading to XP.
    >
    > I don't have any troubleshooting experience, and I get
    > lost pretty quickly in technical jargon. I was wondering
    > if one of you who has dealt with this same error could
    > provide me with a step-by-step explanation--or at least
    > point me in the right direction--to solve it.
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > --Ben

Windows 98 Microsoft Windows XP