Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to Improve FSX (with HW upgrades

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 6, 2009 1:14:04 PM

Hi guys.

I'll post my specs, and after that, my planned upgrade. As i'm not sure about how to get FSX smooth at 1920x1200 (or 1680x1050), any suggestion would be greatfully appreciated.


My specs are:

* Asus P5WDGS2- Profesional mobo
* Intel Q6600 Step 0
* 2x2GB Kingston CL5
* Adaptec SAS 4805 Raid controller
* 2x147GB Fujitsu Sas disks (2.5 ms)
* Sapphire Radeon 1950 Pro: 512MB GDDR3


I've read a lot of "FSX is Cpu-based"... So i'm wondering if an upgrade to a Q9300 Will worth it or not (I'll spent 100€ in order to get it (selling Q6600)).

Also I've seen that Nvidia 9800GTX+ works AWESOME with FSX...

How would you do?

How can I test, accurately which is my bottleneck? When I'm playing, CPU is far away from 100% of load. The same for GPU (due to temperatures).


So?

Thanks early dudes!

More about : improve fsx upgrades

February 6, 2009 1:37:04 PM

you're in quite a situation.... FSX is a cpu intensive game but your graphics card is very old. i would bet that both will give an upgrade but if you also play other games (especially on a 24" screen.... how come you have such an old graphic card when the rest of the computer is new.... recycling?
btw just checked on your MB, either you upgraded (in a strange path, it's a very new CPU w/ a strange MB - you should check whether it will even support a Q9300...
February 6, 2009 1:37:28 PM

Your GPU is pretty ancient by todays standards. I would invest money there in a 4 series Radeon and look at overclocking the Q6600 if you havent already to around 3.2GHz
You missed the letter off the stepping....G0 by any chance?
Related resources
February 7, 2009 9:41:01 AM

^ Well, the other revision is B3 right?
February 7, 2009 11:27:45 AM

keep most of ur system and upgrade the GPU to a to a ATI 4870 or Nvidia GTX260 maxcore.

i believe this would give u the best upgrade for the games that u play.

also if u wish to (and may have a bit of cash spare) then upgrade the Mobo to a P45 chipset, this will give u better support for the new GPU (PCI-E 2.0) and possibly a better stock voltage overclock for the Q6600 (dont bother replacing the Q6600), try to get it to around 3.2 (should be possible on or near the stock voltage - Vcore).


this will give u a sweat little system witghout the anoyance of bottleneckin.

good luck.
February 9, 2009 6:13:47 PM

Hey buddy I have been searching and building and writing these formus for FSX for quite a while. I love that game, but it is almost impossible to run everything on max with 30fps.

I have a Q9550 OCed to 3.83Ghz plus a GTX 260 Black Edition Oced to 700 core and 1200 mem as well as 4GB memory.

To my surprise the game still runs at about 15-25fps on the highest settings. When I went from an E6600 2.4Ghz to my Q9550 I only notice about a 4 frame increase if that. Also when I went from my 8800GT to my GTX 260, I didn't notice any difference. The biggest difference I noticed was when I went from 2GB of Mem to 4GB. That was about a 10 frame increase. So I use to have to play on medium to high settings and now I can play on ultra high with about 30fps. But if I try to manually increase the settings higher I drop to about 15fps. It is sooooo frustrating and I am not sure what PC can run that flawlessly. The designers of the game and some spec sheets actually say that the 8800GTS is the best for that game. It outperforms every other card even my GTX 260. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-char...

I thought this was so stupid and its not about the best card on the market or card speed anymore, but what card works for what game the best. Also, if you go SLI with your card FSX actually hates SLI and you will lose a lot of performance. Search for my threads. I have left a lot and a lot of good stuff and have done a lot of research already for you. Hope that helps. Very soon I will be testing FSX on a super computer. It will be 8GB ram, Core i7 965 <(something like that. the best one out there) which is factory OCed to 3.75Ghz, Raid 0, or a 10000 raptor drive with a 9800GT. I may try my card just to see if that makes a difference. Good luck.
June 17, 2009 5:27:21 PM

Spitfire7 said:
Hey buddy I have been searching and building and writing these formus for FSX for quite a while. I love that game, but it is almost impossible to run everything on max with 30fps.

I have a Q9550 OCed to 3.83Ghz plus a GTX 260 Black Edition Oced to 700 core and 1200 mem as well as 4GB memory.

To my surprise the game still runs at about 15-25fps on the highest settings. When I went from an E6600 2.4Ghz to my Q9550 I only notice about a 4 frame increase if that. Also when I went from my 8800GT to my GTX 260, I didn't notice any difference. The biggest difference I noticed was when I went from 2GB of Mem to 4GB. That was about a 10 frame increase. So I use to have to play on medium to high settings and now I can play on ultra high with about 30fps. But if I try to manually increase the settings higher I drop to about 15fps. It is sooooo frustrating and I am not sure what PC can run that flawlessly. The designers of the game and some spec sheets actually say that the 8800GTS is the best for that game. It outperforms every other card even my GTX 260. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-char...

I thought this was so stupid and its not about the best card on the market or card speed anymore, but what card works for what game the best. Also, if you go SLI with your card FSX actually hates SLI and you will lose a lot of performance. Search for my threads. I have left a lot and a lot of good stuff and have done a lot of research already for you. Hope that helps. Very soon I will be testing FSX on a super computer. It will be 8GB ram, Core i7 965 <(something like that. the best one out there) which is factory OCed to 3.75Ghz, Raid 0, or a 10000 raptor drive with a 9800GT. I may try my card just to see if that makes a difference. Good luck.



I saw your thread and wanted to ask you since your last post if you had any interesting updates or comments you would like to share?

I would also like to ask your advice on components for a new build just for FSX.

I was thinking about using the 720 AMD with DDR3 ram and a very good ASUS mobo like the M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790 GX HDMI ATX. I was wondering what your thoughts are in regards to the GPU and I guess the CPU. I really don't want to go much over $700 (for CPU, GPU, Ram, Mobo, PSU, and case), but I am trying to find the right balance between the processor and the video card. I understand that with a much higher budget Intel I7 would be the way to go but I am not so sure that Intel is favorable at this price point. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
June 22, 2009 4:18:53 PM

Long story short, FSX likes multi core INTEL CPUs and nVida 8800GTS 512[g92] graphics card [non SLI] for the best playable PC. The new 9800GTX+ might give better perforance but I'm not sure about that.

Your right, i7 would be the best since it is a quad with Hyper-Threading. Thats "8" cores as far as FSX is concerned and that sim will respond accordingly. It was optimized for 256 cores. DUMB. Who in the world could put something like that together, NASA?

Don't get me wrong here, what you propose will play the sim. It just will not play it as well as Intel quads will. They OC really good [the higher the better] which is another plus as compared to AMD for this particular sim.

Just so you know, I've played this with an AMD 5000+ OC'd to 3.4. I now have a FSX specific built PC with an Intel quad. Frist 3 settings on CUSTOM, the other 2 on ULTRA HIGH. Custom is better.

I have it set at 30 FPS with no sutters and have the best eye candy I have experienced so far. Built this PC last year. It also does everthing else I do very well too.

Any ways your proposed build will certainly play this sim but at much lower settings. HOWEVER...., if you've never seen how it plays with a simular PC like mine but compare it to what you have then you will like it. Its all relative to what you will accept as good performance per $ against what I might accept.

I have 4 PCs in my home. This is the only Intel build, remember just for FSX. The rest are AMD builds and do what they were built for very well also.
June 23, 2009 2:35:50 AM

So here is an update for ya. I just installed FSX and all the latest patches on a brand new computer with... two 285 GTX graphics cards in SLI as well as the core I7 920 at 2.66Ghz which is like 8 CPUs as well as 6GBs of DDR3 ram and I still cant get that FSX to go maxed out. I have to put everything on Ultra high and then still knock out the vehicle traffic and airport traffic to get anywhere close to 30fps. When i put everything on the highest it can go by manually increasing everything I get about 18-21fps. With everything on their pre configured ultra high settings I am getting about 20-22fps. It was a huge disappointment to see that. I dont know what system can run this game on maxed everything. All I do know is that the amount of CPU's doesn't increase performance at all like everyone once thought. Its actually about the CPU speed and the RAM you have. On my own personal system I have a 260 GTX and a Q9550 Overclocked to 3.4Ghz with 3GB of RAM and I am getting equal if not better performance on mine. RAM, GPU, and CPU speed not amount that you have for FSX!
June 23, 2009 3:44:12 AM

Spitfire7 said:
So here is an update for ya. I just installed FSX and all the latest patches on a brand new computer with... two 285 GTX graphics cards in SLI as well as the core I7 920 at 2.66Ghz which is like 8 CPUs as well as 6GBs of DDR3 ram and I still cant get that FSX to go maxed out. I have to put everything on Ultra high and then still knock out the vehicle traffic and airport traffic to get anywhere close to 30fps. When i put everything on the highest it can go by manually increasing everything I get about 18-21fps. With everything on their pre configured ultra high settings I am getting about 20-22fps. It was a huge disappointment to see that. I dont know what system can run this game on maxed everything. All I do know is that the amount of CPU's doesn't increase performance at all like everyone once thought. Its actually about the CPU speed and the RAM you have. On my own personal system I have a 260 GTX and a Q9550 Overclocked to 3.4Ghz with 3GB of RAM and I am getting equal if not better performance on mine. RAM, GPU, and CPU speed not amount that you have for FSX!


My experience and Toms review shows that this sim does not like SLI. It also does not like really powerful GPUs.

I get my best game play with one 8800GTS 512[g92] OC'd. This graphics card seems to be the best one to use for this sim hands down. As I OC my CPU it just gets better and better.

If you have an older graphics card, even a 7800, to try I think you would be surprised at the results with the CPU you are using. Good luck.
October 4, 2009 12:07:40 AM

arthurh said:
Long story short, FSX likes multi core INTEL CPUs and nVida 8800GTS 512[g92] graphics card [non SLI] for the best playable PC. The new 9800GTX+ might give better perforance but I'm not sure about that.

Your right, i7 would be the best since it is a quad with Hyper-Threading. Thats "8" cores as far as FSX is concerned and that sim will respond accordingly. It was optimized for 256 cores. DUMB. Who in the world could put something like that together, NASA?

Don't get me wrong here, what you propose will play the sim. It just will not play it as well as Intel quads will. They OC really good [the higher the better] which is another plus as compared to AMD for this particular sim.

Just so you know, I've played this with an AMD 5000+ OC'd to 3.4. I now have a FSX specific built PC with an Intel quad. Frist 3 settings on CUSTOM, the other 2 on ULTRA HIGH. Custom is better.

I have it set at 30 FPS with no sutters and have the best eye candy I have experienced so far. Built this PC last year. It also does everthing else I do very well too.

Any ways your proposed build will certainly play this sim but at much lower settings. HOWEVER...., if you've never seen how it plays with a simular PC like mine but compare it to what you have then you will like it. Its all relative to what you will accept as good performance per $ against what I might accept.

I have 4 PCs in my home. This is the only Intel build, remember just for FSX. The rest are AMD builds and do what they were built for very well also.


what addons do you use because i can get over 100 fps using default planes like cessna, learjet,etc but when i use like pmdg i get like 25 to 40 even 50 if iam not over any city and airport
my specs are

m4a79 delux mother board
amd *3 770 oc to 3.3
ati 4890 1g also oc
8 g hyper x(over kill)

ive tried nvida 8800 gt, ati 4870,ati 4890 and ,nvida 9800 gtx i get the best frames with with 4890
!