Portable USB games for school

Status
Not open for further replies.

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
hi,
I downloaded a portable version of half life and it's expansions (portable meaning it's running from a USB so I can play it w/o installing at work and school), no I found out you can do this to almost any game so I thought I would make a couple more but I don't know which games to use.... the games have to be able to run on weak computers, not be too big and not require additional CDs (like most old adventure games or C&C games). do you have suggestions?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
To get more technical on you, with 99% of the games out there this wont work.
You can stick an .iso (CD / DVD image) onto a USB drive and mount it using a virtual drive like daemon tools but all this will do is emulate sticking a CD in the physical drive, possibly bypassing admin rights but you should run into permissions again when it asks you to install the program.
Other than that you are looking at copying the CD folders over to a c:\program files\xxxx directory and hoping that the game doesnt require any local files eg DirectX
I cant think of a single game that can run standalone off the top of my head, and i imagine that HL you got would have been specifically modified due to demand.

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I'm not slacking, I learn computers and usually finish my work earlier than others, I don't want to be on facebook all the times. also because of the bad driving arrangements ( i live far from school) I have a lot of time on the computer in the library. Another thing that give me this time is that because I speak english better than the rest of the class (here in israel) I'm in a special "native speakers" group which means I have lots of window hours.
so stop being moaning bitches and be all "you have to learn more" because that doesn't answer my question, I know that was very mean but you don't know **** about my school so you think I'm just slacking.

@pr3thej: I plan on using a no-cd crack on the games but I will buy them, that's why I need old games that I can usually find cheap second hand or on the discount shelves.

btw I put visual C# on my DoK so i can do my homework not just at home, you call that slacking?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Clearly you have a little more to learn about English if you think calling people moaning bitches and then asking for help is acceptable ;)

z999

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I'm sorry, I got pissed off. I hope you accept my apology.
I just hate people telling me I have to study more, especially since you don't even know where I'm coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.