Closed Solved

Win 7/Network/Printer

I use Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with a Brother MFC8460N plugged in via ethernet to a Linksys WRT610N router. Up until two weeks ago it worked fine then just stopped. The printer configuration seems to be correct. As does the network configuration. I can ping the printer. It installed successfully. The print spooler works fine with the other machine on the system. Using the 8460 I receive "Cannot contact the printer over the network." If I open the print queue it shows "Error - Printing". The printer works perfectly fine if i go over to it and use its features. The Brother support group hasn't figured it out yet. Any ideas? Anyone?
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about network printer
  1. Best answer
    Try to simplify they situation by plugging the Printer into the Win 7 machine through the USB option it most likely has. If it prints then that will at least eliminate the Drivers as a potential problem. Then if that works try networking the printer with a static IP address through a Switch if you can lay your hands on one. If the printer prints then the bone can be pointed at the Router as a likely candidate. Try a Static IP and Network it through the Router. If it works then the Router may acting up on the DHCP side of things.
  2. Best answer selected by rodconroy.
  3. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Network Printer Printers Windows 7