8inxp & 9700 pro crashing problems

armitage_shanks

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Hey all,

I am at my rope's end with this one. I busted myself getting an 8INXP motherboard as they are so rare these days. I managed to get it and rebuild my system thusly:

p4-3.06
1.5 gig crucial ddr mem
sapphire radeon 9700 pro atlantis
antec truepower 480 watt
sb audigy 2
winxp pro

My machine intermittently crashes with either a dead desktop or the now infamous INFINITE_THREAD_LOOP in the video device.

I am using the catalyst 3.1 drivers and not up'ing to dx9 (still on 8.1a). I also found that the infinite thread loop thing was solved when I 'pushed' the agp card into the slot more firmly. A tech friend told me that agp cards we nortorious for popping out due to heat and movement - they may still work but you get errors. Wierd...

Yet now I get these intermittent crashes where the machine just locks up. I have looked for answers but cannot see any - obviously Giga-Byte and ATI arent helpful, so is there anyone else out there getting these problems with the same similar config?

I have also upped the 8INXP bios to version F4 as well. I don't the the DPS power errors like some people have mentioned.

Anywaze, any help would be appreciated.

Armitage Shanks

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Well the DPS errors were fixed in the F4 flash so that's not a problem...

Well I'm using a similar configuration... and I have tested my machine with a 9700 pro and I had no problems... have you attempted to find a way to hold your card in properly? Is the retention mechanism in properly? You can buy card holders which add aditional support to expansion cards in your system... or of course you could be really ghetto and try a temp fix to see if it indeed works...tape??

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

Romanov

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
I had the same problems with the 8INXP and the Radeon 9500. Solution: lower the AGP to 4x, up the voltage to the AGP board with 0.1V, disable Fast Write (in the ATI control panel under the SMARTGART tab). Problem is.... with the Intel E7205 chipset on our mobo's. Problem is acknowledged by Intel, but they will not fix it (there's a pdf file on their website on this subject). E7205 -aka Granite Bay- has stability problems with AGP3.0/8x.
Anyway: your performance is not really suffering with these new settings. Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS