Foreign Language - support & fonts

Hello,

I'm working on a website that is being translated into several languages.
Before I work on a new language, I enable support for that particular
character set in Internet Explorer. A few translators, who are working in
foreign languages have sent me, along with their translation, the TTF font
for their particular character set (ie Hindi, Chinese, etc), and I have
installed those fonts in my windows system.

My question is this - If I design a web page, say in the Hindi language,
using the "Kruti Dev 021" font (as font-face tag in HTML), will Hindi
readers all over the world be able to read and recogise this font? I mean,
just because I happen to have the "Kruti Dev" font installed in my windows
system, I can see the Hindi character set portrayed (in Dreamweaver and
IE6), but does that mean that all Hindi readers wherever they are would have
to have the same font support in their systems to be able to correctly
render the web-page?

Perhaps a more relevant question would be, where would I find out the
"system default fonts" for for foreign character sets, so that if I got a
web-page translated into, say, Taiwanese, that the font-style references in
my webpages would be recognised by all Taiwanese computer users world-wide?
Or how about this: for people in Taiwan using Windows / Internet Explorer
platforms, what is the DEFAULT font support installed by windows in their
systems in order for them to read Taiwanese characters? If I knew the
Default system fonts for all of these languages, then I would have a basis
to work from.

"If you're not confused at this point, it means you're not comprehending the
situation..." !!

thanks for any pointers...

Arby
2 answers Last reply
More about foreign language support fonts

    Thank you for visit the Windows XP "New Users" newsgroup.
    Your inquiry can best be addressed by posting in the "Internet Explorer"
    newsgroup:

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:33:27 GMT, Arby Trary wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm working on a website that is being translated into several languages.
    > Before I work on a new language, I enable support for that particular
    > character set in Internet Explorer. A few translators, who are working in
    > foreign languages have sent me, along with their translation, the TTF font
    > for their particular character set (ie Hindi, Chinese, etc), and I have
    > installed those fonts in my windows system.
    >
    > My question is this - If I design a web page, say in the Hindi language,
    > using the "Kruti Dev 021" font (as font-face tag in HTML), will Hindi
    > readers all over the world be able to read and recogise this font? I mean,
    > just because I happen to have the "Kruti Dev" font installed in my windows
    > system, I can see the Hindi character set portrayed (in Dreamweaver and
    > IE6), but does that mean that all Hindi readers wherever they are would have
    > to have the same font support in their systems to be able to correctly
    > render the web-page?
    >
    > Perhaps a more relevant question would be, where would I find out the
    > "system default fonts" for for foreign character sets, so that if I got a
    > web-page translated into, say, Taiwanese, that the font-style references in
    > my webpages would be recognised by all Taiwanese computer users world-wide?
    > Or how about this: for people in Taiwan using Windows / Internet Explorer
    > platforms, what is the DEFAULT font support installed by windows in their
    > systems in order for them to read Taiwanese characters? If I knew the
    > Default system fonts for all of these languages, then I would have a basis
    > to work from.
    >
    > "If you're not confused at this point, it means you're not comprehending the
    > situation..." !!
    >
    > thanks for any pointers...
    >
    > Arby

    The front page newsgroups would probably have some good ideas about how you
    should construct these pages: microsoft.public.frontpage.client

    As far as I know, a user has to have a font installed before it can be used
    to display a page. On the other hand, if they're reading a Hindi page, it
    would be reasonable to expect at least one Hindi font is installed.
    Hopefully it would be called as a font substitute if they do not have the
    same one that you are using.

    There is a way to embed fonts into a web page but since this requires a
    user to trust you for a font download, it's not often the desired or
    recommended route to take.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Internet Explorer Support Font Windows XP