PaulVarjak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Having a problem w/A7V8X and my hard drive. I spoke w/Asus tech support who advised me to connect the HD to the RAID connector rather than primary IDE. The problem is that when I attempt to install XP Home I get a message stating that there is no HD installed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

PaulVarjak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
No it doesn't. I was having a problem when the HD was connected to PRI_IDE1 and that's when Asus told me it had to be connected to the RAID. When I set up the BIOS I didn't see anyplace to designate the HD with the RAID.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure the HD's jumper (Master/Slave) is setup right as well as its data cable (The blue connector is plugged into mobo).
To setup the HD to boot with RAID built-in controller, you need to set its jumper to IDE instead of RAID (check your manual) and enable its BIOS (in Boot menu I believe).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

PaulVarjak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I hit F6 as Windows was setting up so that I could set-up the RAID controller. But I get to a certain point and get the same message that there is no HD installed.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sorry. Please diregard my post about RAID controller. Is your mobo has Serial ATA RAID controller onboard and that where you connect your drive (it is Serial so if you do, you have to use IDE to Serial converter and serial data cable)?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

a4amd

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2003
i dont know much but i could suggest u one thing. Pre-format the HDD before installing Win XP. u cud pre-format using FDisk utility in the Win98 WinME boot disk, Disk Manager or use the Partition Magic utility. Only problem is with FDisk and Partition Magic (version 5.0), u cant format the HDD to NTFS format, but only in FAT32 format. But then, u cud format it to NTFS while installing WIN XP i guess. i hope whatever i said helps. :smile:

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Was your HD recognized by RAID controller when your comp startup? Also, have you tried to test your Primary IDE channel to see if it's working with other devices (HD or CD-ROM)? It seems to me that your HD might be defective.