How much would you pay for my rig? make an offer if you wish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm trying to get an idea of how much I could sell my rig for used via ebay or craigslist, not only for my own curiosity but also to see if anyone is interested, I could set up payment through paypal. Thanks for taking a look. I am going to be traveling for work a lot next month and I am trying to get a gaming laptop of some sorts and I would like to get a decent chunk of it paid for.

AMD phenom II x4 955 (clocked at 4.1 ghz)
2X2 gig corsair 1600mhz ddr3
XFX Black edition 650w psu
MSI 890gxm-g65 mobo
Hitachi 1 tb hd 7200rpm
4 120 mm case fans (3 multicolored LED)
hyper 212+ cooler w/ 2 120 MM fans
Thermaltake v3 case
(XFX 6870 1020 core 1180 mem)
Lite-on DVD drive
No OS

the rig was assembled about 3 months ago and has always been babied, for what its worth. Thanks for taking a look and I appreciate all and any input.

Solution
You're not going to be getting a "decent chunk" of the cost of a gaming laptop for it. Part of that is the fact that gaming laptops are massively expensive, and generally a waste of money. Part of it is that the machine isn't worth that much.

Adding all the parts up on Newegg gives a new price of about $750. Take off 25% of that for being built by an amateur (no warranty) and being overclocked (reduces the useful life and stability). Then take another 20% off that for age (10% for every couple of months of age). That leaves you with a price of $450.

You might have better luck parting the machine out. If you split up the major components, you're likely to get more than if you tried to sell it all together.

Also, where you sell...
You're not going to be getting a "decent chunk" of the cost of a gaming laptop for it. Part of that is the fact that gaming laptops are massively expensive, and generally a waste of money. Part of it is that the machine isn't worth that much.

Adding all the parts up on Newegg gives a new price of about $750. Take off 25% of that for being built by an amateur (no warranty) and being overclocked (reduces the useful life and stability). Then take another 20% off that for age (10% for every couple of months of age). That leaves you with a price of $450.

You might have better luck parting the machine out. If you split up the major components, you're likely to get more than if you tried to sell it all together.

Also, where you sell it can have a big difference in what you can get for it. If you sell it on a forum dedicated to computers (like this one), you're likely to get less for the machine, but you won't have to deal with a lot of haggling and other headaches. If you sell it somewhere open to the unwashed masses, you'll likely get more for it, but you'll have to deal with a lot of other headaches, especially since it doesn't have an OS.

Solution
thanks, I think you about hit the nail on the head. In the end im going to keep it, gaming laptops are a huge ripoff... thanks for your input, this rig runs like a dream so IDK why I wanted to get rid of it in the first place, guess I'll ride this one out for a couple years and so how it holds up at that time and probably do a new build then, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.