Where to put second hard drive?

timbo

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion a118.uk ( a basic tower PC), for which I have bought a
second hard drive.

However there doesn't appear to be anywhere to mount it inside the PC (the
maxtor drive came with no mounting brackets or anything). The grey cable
(forgotten the name!) which the two drives are plugged into doesn't have
much free play between the plugs for the two drives to reach the spare bay
beneath the floppy disk drive (don't know if that would be right anyway).

HP support suggested I just leave the second drive loose next to the first
one, but put a piece of cardboard between the two drives to prevent static -
which I have done, but it seems like a fire risk to me.

Can anyone help? Many thanks if you can.

--
Remove NOSPAM from email address.

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

"Timbo" <tim.pindar@NOSPAM.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a HP Pavilion a118.uk ( a basic tower PC), for which I have bought
> second hard drive.
>
> However there doesn't appear to be anywhere to mount it inside the PC
(the
> maxtor drive came with no mounting brackets or anything). The grey cable
> (forgotten the name!) which the two drives are plugged into doesn't have
> much free play between the plugs for the two drives to reach the spare bay
> beneath the floppy disk drive (don't know if that would be right anyway).
>
> HP support suggested I just leave the second drive loose next to the first
> one, but put a piece of cardboard between the two drives to prevent
static -
> which I have done, but it seems like a fire risk to me.
>
> Can anyone help? Many thanks if you can.
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM from email address.

If you have the case where the HDD in mounted vertically below the floppy,
then the 2nd drive goes between the 1st drive and the front of the case.
There are 4 screws stored in the front sheet metal that go into the drive so
it can be supported by the mounting bracket the 1st drive is attached to.
You'll have to remove the front of the case to mount the drive.

(Assuming your case is the same as this one.)
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08280.pdf

craigm

Alan

"Timbo" <tim.pindar@NOSPAM.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<kipRc.1411$TB1.13388970@news-text.cableinet.net>...

> I have a HP Pavilion a118.uk ( a basic tower PC), for which I have bought a
> second hard drive.
>
> However there doesn't appear to be anywhere to mount it inside the PC (the
> maxtor drive came with no mounting brackets or anything). The grey cable
> (forgotten the name!) which the two drives are plugged into doesn't have
> much free play between the plugs for the two drives to reach the spare bay
> beneath the floppy disk drive (don't know if that would be right anyway).

Buy a longer drive cable -- take along the old one to get the right
type. Probably it's the 80-wire type with a blue conenctor for the
motherpoard.

There are two kinds of drive bays: the 5-1/4 inch wide, as used for CD
drives, and the 3-1/2 inch, as for floppy drives. Hard disks can fit
in either, with the larger ones you get a couple of brackets that
screw on the drive.

Both the cables and brackets should cost about $1 or so. Take your new
drive and old cable with you to a PC accessories shop if you feel at
all unsure and ask them for the parts and how to fit.

Also if you're keeping the original drive you'll need to set the
jumpers on the new drive to make it a slave. There is uusally a
diagram on the drive showing this.

Of course you'll also need a power connector, make sure that can reach
too, get an extender if not.

timbo

"craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message

> If you have the case where the HDD in mounted vertically below the floppy,
> then the 2nd drive goes between the 1st drive and the front of the case.
> There are 4 screws stored in the front sheet metal that go into the drive
so
> it can be supported by the mounting bracket the 1st drive is attached to.
> You'll have to remove the front of the case to mount the drive.
>
> (Assuming your case is the same as this one.)
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08280.pdf
>
> craigm

Thanks Craig - I did originally think this was a spare drive bay but when I
couldn't get into it easily I assumed it wasn't!

I'll give it a go.

Thanks to other respondents, too.

--
Remove NOSPAM from email address.

ty rap it to the first drive with 1/2" tys.

Timbo wrote:
> "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>If you have the case where the HDD in mounted vertically below the floppy,
>>then the 2nd drive goes between the 1st drive and the front of the case.
>>There are 4 screws stored in the front sheet metal that go into the drive
>
> so
>
>>it can be supported by the mounting bracket the 1st drive is attached to.
>>You'll have to remove the front of the case to mount the drive.
>>
>>(Assuming your case is the same as this one.)
>>http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08280.pdf
>>
>>craigm
>>

> Thanks Craig - I did originally think this was a spare drive bay but when I
> couldn't get into it easily I assumed it wasn't!
>
> I'll give it a go.
>
> Thanks to other respondents, too.

What? Not with duct tape? ... Ben Myers

> "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> >

> > If you have the case where the HDD in mounted vertically below the
floppy,
> > then the 2nd drive goes between the 1st drive and the front of the case.
> > There are 4 screws stored in the front sheet metal that go into the
drive
> so
> > it can be supported by the mounting bracket the 1st drive is attached
to.
> > You'll have to remove the front of the case to mount the drive.
> >
> > (Assuming your case is the same as this one.)
> > http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08280.pdf
> >
> > craigm
> >

> Thanks Craig - I did originally think this was a spare drive bay but when
> couldn't get into it easily I assumed it wasn't!
>
> I'll give it a go.
>
> Thanks to other respondents, too.
>
> --

Thanks - I've managed to position it in the space you mention but couldn't
find any screws or anything to mount it securely....?

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Four screws ( that usually come with the drive) go through four holes in the
recessed areas on either side of the power switch. These screws go into the
'bottom' of the drive.