Real Network Dumbell Question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 7:35:54 AM

I have a laptop and a desktop. I bought a PCMCIA 802.11b for the laptop and
a wireless pci 802.11b for the computer. I set both cards up and I get a
connection between the two.However that's as far as I can get. I set them
both up with the same SSID.

I assumed that next I would just set up a small home network with the
wizard. So I ran through the setup on the Desktop, using the same name as
the ssid for the network, (I also tried other names, like mshome) I did the
same on the laptop. I set up a hard drive for sharing on each. Now the
problem.

If I go to show workgroup computers on the laptop I get a long wait before I
get the error (name of network) is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use the network resources. The list of servers is not
available. yada yada yada.
My network places is blank.

On the Desktop, my network places is also blank.
View workgroup computers doesn't give an error but is blank with the network
name in the task bar at the bottom.
I have tried many times and I always get the same thing.

If I view connections on either computer I see the wireless connection. I
also see signal strength and connected.

On the laptop
Under wireless networks I checked use windows and entered the network name.
The laptop is the same. Client for MS Networks is enabled as well as File
and print sharing and Realtek EAPPkt Protocol.

Properties on the desktop has only tc/ip enabled
On the Desktop if I check client for MS networks and File and print sharing
I get a message that my current selection will turn them off, and the check
mark goes away after I hit ok and yes.

Under TC/IP of the laptop and desktop I have checked Obtain IP address
automatically.
I also tried top set up an address, 162.162,0,1 and 255,255,0,0 on the
laptop and 162,162,0,2 and 255, 255,0,0 and I get the same thing. I have
also tried other addresses with the same results.

Once upon a time I had an Ethernet work between 2 computers in my house but
I got dialup and satellite download, and the satellite download, uses an IP
address which killed my network, I was never table to get it working again.
Now I have removed the satellite card and uninstalled it, so its out of the
picture.

Somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
September 1, 2004 9:46:55 AM

Try 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 :-)

Guy

> Under TC/IP of the laptop and desktop I have checked Obtain IP address
> automatically.
> I also tried top set up an address, 162.162,0,1 and 255,255,0,0 on the
> laptop and 162,162,0,2 and 255, 255,0,0 and I get the same thing. I
> have also tried other addresses with the same results.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
September 4, 2004 11:40:24 PM

"yehool" <somewhere> wrote in message
[snip]

> Properties under each computer wireless connection is TC/IP 192.168.0.1
> Computer 1 and 192.168.0.2 computer 2 both 255.255.255.0. Both have client
> for ms networks and file and printer sharing for MS networks. Wireless
> network tab, checked use windows to configure my wireless network and
> preferred networks is Orion auto connect.

What kind of Access Point are your using? What is the default Gateway
address?

Most AP's default to 192.168.x.1 for the gateway address, which would
conflict with one of your computers.

HTH.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)
!