Upgrading from Vista

srogers6

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
HI, I'm currently running vista 32-bit and was wanting to upgrade to a windows 7 62-bit. Now i realize I have to do a clean installation but can i just buy a windows 7 62-bit upgrade package or do i have to buy the full package. Also recently i got a pop-up that says my windows is not genuine, is it because I used a copy my dad had for their computer? Would I still be able to upgrade to windows 7 if this version may not be genuine? Thanks

Solution
The OS you want is Win 7 64 bit not 62 bit. You will most likely need a full version as you appear to be lacking a genuine OS from which to upgrade. It is most likely the software you are using has been used by many people and its key and serial number are on Microsofts list of pirated keys. It is unlikely that you will be able to upgrade off an OS that MS has listed as non genuine.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The OS you want is Win 7 64 bit not 62 bit. You will most likely need a full version as you appear to be lacking a genuine OS from which to upgrade. It is most likely the software you are using has been used by many people and its key and serial number are on Microsofts list of pirated keys. It is unlikely that you will be able to upgrade off an OS that MS has listed as non genuine.

Solution

Jonmor68

Distinguished
You will have to buy a full version as you don't have a legal copy of a qualifying OS to upgrade.
You can't use your dad's copy, it can only be used on one computer.
If your current copy hasn't yet been disabled by Microsoft, it may be soon and you won't be able to use it at all.

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Nope, you will not be able to upgrade to a full version of Windows 7 from a non-genuine version of Vista. You will need to purchase a full, genuine copy of Windows 7 (64-bit, but only if your computer is capable of running 64-bit) in order to upgrade your system. Also, if you are interested in the importance of running genuine Windows, visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/genuine

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach