Why cant anyone make a real combat morrowind mod

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I mean make it like pirates vikings knights source, or age of chivalry, or oblivion, I mean I would imagine the pvk and aoc was even harder to make considering the game wasnt even about swords in the first place (source engine) so why cant they do that for morrowind instead of having that lame combat enhanced mod that almost doesnt even do anything (esp in terms of animation)? You dont even see the shield in fornt of you when you use it to block nor do the weapon reactions change in any way.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
To answer your question about why it can be done [apparently] so easily for source games like PVK and AOC and not Morrowind is because Source is by design a very mod-able engine. Valve makes their games with modders in mind.
With that said I've never played Morrowind and have zero familiarity with the modding community of that game, but I think it's safe to say that with just about any game it's pretty unfair to compare a lack of mods, or in this case the mods you want, with what can/has been done with Source titles.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
You sound like someone who hasn't written a single line of code, made a model, or created an animation. Figure out how to do one of them, see how much work it takes, then complain.

Or learn all three and make the mod yourself.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
so u admit its possible but cause of laziness hasnt been done? Im not necessairly complaining about the users just bethesa themselves cause they could easily make an updated patch as well as that guy who claims he's the shet for making combat enhanced when it doesnt even do much.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

First of all I specifically said that I'm not at all familiar with Morrowind modding because I've never played the game, so your question as to whether I "ever heard of the morrowind construction kit?" is quite redundant.

Secondly if you're so sure it's an easy mod and people are just lazy not to make it, go do it yourself. But keep in mind that just because there is a SDK available for a game that does not mean that you can do anything in terms of modding. Source games have a luxury of very flexible SDKs which allows modders to turn a shooter into a sword and shield combat game. It's really not fair to compare two different sets of code and say "well it was done in A so it should be easy to do in B".

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
@Pershing121:

Go and do it then, big shot, if it's so easy and everybody else are just "lazy". I think THQ is just lazy for not producing Homeworld 3 since getting the license, or Vivendi are lazy for not doing it when they had it.

Sheesh what a tw@ you are...

anthropophaginian

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
It would be nice to see better combat in morrowind. However, I assume it must not be that easy to mod since someone would have done something about it. I haven't had much of a look at the construction set, but given what some people have produced it must be fairly powerful.

I don't think Bethesda could "easily" release a patch for it as it would require a lot planning to balance out all the weapons. Given that this game is probably getting minimal revenue at this stage, it would hardly be worth their while.

If you can make a good mod for combat, you'll get the respect of many modders and morrowind fans (myself included).

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

Well said mate.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
As someone who's had and worked with modding Morrowind since not after it's release, I'd like Pershing121 to know that simply put, many of the things he asks are virtually impossible with Morrowind. The Elder Scrolls Construction Set may be potent, but it really is only potent on the content-side of a game; with MW, it's virtually powerless to change any of the game's core design components. And this includes the combat system.

So go ahead, and use the Construction Set. And then get back to us and tell us how far you (didn't) get.