XP or W7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbo1

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I just built a new everyting computer (primarily business, photos, HD, and stock trading, though some gaming) and I wanted to know what the pros and cons would be to loading XP vs W7 onto it. Which OS would you run on this system? This is the last decision I need to make before I start putting everything together this weekend.

Here is my system:

1. Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
2. GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
3. Sony CD/DVD Burner w Lightscribe
4. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard x 1
5. Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive x 2
6. LG W2043T-PF Black 20" 5ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor x 3
7. Geek Squad 1500VA UPS/Battery Back-Up System
8. G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD
9. Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Power Supply
10. Cooler Master Strom Scout Case
11. Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler
12. XFX 4850 1 GB Graphic's Card x2

thx

Solution
Please install a shiny new OS on your shiny new computer. There is little reason to bother with XP anymore... if you have reason to believe any of your software won't run on Windows 7... then you might consider getting Windows 7 Pro because it comes with a "free" Windows XP virtual machine.
Both XP and Win7 will run on that system.
Win7 will best support the Turbo-Boost feature of the Core i5 750.
You could always run both Win7 and XP and decide which best suits your taste.
I have Win7/Vista/XP all running on the same PC and I much prefer Win7.

mrmez

Splendid
Hilarious really...
After a decade on XP M$ still has not managed to make and market a new OS comprehensively better.

Its like Intel saying "sorry guys, were still trying to make something better than a Pentium 3"
You wouldnt be expected to run Crysis on a P3, so why should we still be using XP?

I really hope 7 is the bizz.

M$ spent the last decade jerking off in my mouth. I hope they are finally finished.

PS. If you earn your living off a computer, get a Mac.
Sure i use my quad core xp/vista sys for gaming, but for marketing/advertising and photography where i earn my money... i wouldnt trust anything other than a mac.

wow, not helpful at all so GTFO

to the OP, you might as well get Windows 7 as it is going to be running out of support soon (i think 2012) and the 32bit memory limit (you wont be able to use all 4GB of memory), yes there is a 64bit version, it really didn't work the best though

I agree with this, except for the last part of the last sentence. 64 bit Windows versions work now. They've worked ever since SP1 for Vista was released. Drivers are available, and now work properly, even for a lot of older hardware. Don't fool yourself by believing anyone trying to spread FUD about x64 versions of Windows. It simply isn't true anymore.

For a new build with 4GB, go with 64-bit Windows 7. You may not need more than 4GB today, but chances are you'll want to expand memory at some point and if you use the 32-bit version you'll be hamstrung. There's no extra cost for the 64-bit version, and no disadvantage to using it - so go for it.

Please install a shiny new OS on your shiny new computer. There is little reason to bother with XP anymore... if you have reason to believe any of your software won't run on Windows 7... then you might consider getting Windows 7 Pro because it comes with a "free" Windows XP virtual machine.

Solution
Not only will 7 allow you to use all 4GB of your memory, it will also be far superior to XP in multi-core processing and parallel applications. I use 7 as my main OS now (MSDN :sol: ) and even with beta drivers, the OS performs like a champ.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
If u put xp on that i will come round in the middle of the night and replace ur i7 with a pentium 4 take out 3 gig of ur ram and swap ur GPU for a geforce 5 as they would all be wasted in ur system

WIN 7 FTW!!!

bobbo1

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

LMAO! good point:)

bobbo1

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Thank you for all that replied. Iwill be using W7 Pro for my system. From all of the reivews I have read over the past few days it seems to be one of MS better OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.