Sign in with
Your question

Empire Total War

Last response: in Video Games
February 10, 2009 1:09:47 AM

Hey everyone,

Are any of you guys familiar with Empire Total War? I'm trying to get my computer prepaired for this game coming our very soon. Do you all think in terms of system resources, what will it demand more: CPU, graphics, memory, etc?

More about : empire total war

February 11, 2009 3:55:43 PM

dragonfly22588 said:
Hey everyone,

Are any of you guys familiar with Empire Total War? I'm trying to get my computer prepaired for this game coming our very soon. Do you all think in terms of system resources, what will it demand more: CPU, graphics, memory, etc?

Looking at the information you have in your sig, you will be able to play the game with your current config however, based on the minimum specs for the game (see below), you may not get the best overall performance. This game is going to be resource intensive and you may have to dial down the game settings in order to have the game run smoothly on your system as it is. The 7900 may have some issues with displaying a lot of details and at 256MB of video RAM, you're at the minimum of what the game requires. Creative Assembly has kept most of the recommended specs close to the vest so far while they finalize things but's the minimum specs needed to play thus far:

Operating System: Windows XP 32(service pack 2), Windows Vista 32 OS.
Processor: 2.4 GHz Single Core Intel or AMD equivalent processor.
System Memory: 1GB RAM (XP) 2GB RAM (Vista).
Graphics Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (shader 2.0 or higher). (No onboard video cards appear to be supported here - Nvidia and ATI cards only)
Sound Card: Directx9.0c compatible sound card.
Windows compatible mouse & keyboard.
15 GB free uncompressed hard drive space.

Good luck!
February 11, 2009 4:52:02 PM

Well I'm building a pc right now for my friend at college who has pre-ordered Empire TW, he doesnt have a pc that can run it atm soo Im making it for him:

Specs:
AMD dual core 3GHz 6000+
ati 4870 512GDDr5
4GB xms2 ddr2
undecided on OS or hdd

I need to build it for under 500GBP so I decided to spend less on cpu and more on ram and gpu

hope that helps
Related resources
February 12, 2009 7:48:19 AM

Did they release recommended yet? Ive seen the minimums but they were keeping hush about what you need for a good game

EDIT: nevermind, can see my answer above...
February 12, 2009 1:25:57 PM

I've certainly heard about it ;)  http://www.gamershell.com/pc/empire_total_war/downloads... for gameplay videos.

Anyway, I'd say that you wouldn't go wrong with a new graphics card, especially since they're so cheap nowadays. Something like the ATI HD 4850 can be found for $130, and should totally wallop that old 7900 you have. $200 will get you HD 4870's and Nvidia GTX260. So that's certainly an upgrade I would pursue in your position.

As for the rest, I'd venture a guess and say that your setup should be fine. Well know more once we start seeing some reviews.
February 12, 2009 7:10:47 PM

Empire Total War has been coded to take full advantage of quad core CPU's, that should give you some idea on the sort of demand the game will place on your hardware. I would wait until the demo comes out and give that a spin first and you can see if your system is up to the task.

BTW I have a C2D E6400 @ 3.04Ghz, 2Gb DDR2, 8800 GT and I can't play M2TW on huge units, high settings @ 1920x1200. A playable frame rate for a Total War game is a lot lower then other games in this case 15 FPS (according to FRAPS) gives you a smooth gameplay experience. On my rig I was settings around 9-12 FPS I had to lower the graphics settings to get higher frame rates. What I learn't from this was that RTS games like Total War which use 3D engines to play real time battles require just as much GPU power to render the display as it does CPU power to calcualte all the battle A.I.

Empire Total War uses a brand new engine (M2TW used an upgraded engine of RTW), has all the latest technologies built into it. In fact it's the first TW game to have multi-threading (previous games only used a single thread/core), PhysX, Xfire, SLI, etc etc I just know it's going to be demanding, all previous TW games have brought mid-high systems to there knees. But as I said wait for the demo, it's just around the corner.
!