Is this the right chip?

the_grip

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
i'm looking at buying the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (TBred). Here's the link at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=19-103-348

The model # is AXDA2800KV3D. From what i understand, the model number is important, as you can be purchasing something you are not expecting. If this is correct, is this the best model number of this chip that i could buy?

Also, i'm not overclocking, so what type of cooling components should i look get?

Thx!

On another note, do nForce2 boards (the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe in particular) support ATI boards (since nForce is an NVidia technology)? Lastly, should i go for the all-in-wonder cards? What is the difference btwn the regular ATI cards and the AIW cards?

Cases - how do i find which cases will house the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board?

One last thing... on Corsair memory, i assume CAS Latency 2-2-2-5-T1 is CL2? What are the differences btwn the different heat spreaders (platinum, black, and none)?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by the_grip on 03/31/03 06:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All TBred XP2800+ processors have the same model number. The model number only indicates what speed it supposed to run as well as its settings (voltage, Bus speed, max temp that it can work). The other code is Batch code (eg. AIUHB or something like that) is only useful for overclockers (some batches of chips have been considered as best overclock compared to others).
I don't have Asus A7N8X, but I do have Abit NF7-S also is NForce2, and I've used Ati Radeon 9500 Pro that working great.
About the cooling component, the web page you listed has more info on the link '<font color=red><b>CLICK HERE FOR APPROVED MOTHERBOARD LIST</font color=red>'</b>.
Any <b><font color=blue>ATX</b></font color=blue> case will fit Asus A7N8X mobo.
Corsair memory you stated is clk 2. The heat spreaders as their name suggested is supposed to dissipate heat that memory chips generated better than others.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

the_grip

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
Corsair memory you stated is clk 2.
Is this a typo, or is clk 2 a type of CL2 RAM? Plz pardon the ignorance, but i was recommended CL2 RAM and i thought i would stick with it.

Thx!

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
The Corsair memory is CL2, I use Corsair memory (Corsair TWINX512-2700LL) and have had no problems with it.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Reply to: On another note, do nForce2 boards (the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe in particular) support ATI boards (since nForce is an NVidia technology)? Lastly, should i go for the all-in-wonder cards? What is the difference btwn the regular ATI cards and the AIW cards?

All nForce2 mobo support ATi card well enough, don't be afraid getting screwed (there is absolute no issue between this two component). The major difference between AIW 9700 Pro and normal Radeon 9700 Pro (which I assume you are getting) is that AIW 9700 Pro got TV tuner, Video input etc. on board but only support single display while Radeon 9700 Pro supports two display, so I would say get Radeon 9700 Pro instead then get a PCI TV Tuner like Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Deluxe (it's cheaper in this way and you'll get two display supported!).

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>