Critical Error Message - Blue Screen

I downloaded a new driver required for my Canon scanner on my new computer
with Windows XP. The scanner is working fine, but since downloading the
driver I have received two blue screens that say the following:

The following problem is caused by file - Intelc52.sys - an attempt was made
to write to read only memory. Disable BIOS memory such as caching or
shadowing.

Im not sure what this message means. The new driver said it was compatible
to Windows XP. Should I uninstall the driver, or does this error message
refer to the driver installation or some other problem. Please help. Thank
you.
5 answers Last reply
More about critical error message blue screen

    Hi,

    The error message is referring to a BIOS configuration setting. This is the
    basic interface of your hardware and software, and is accessed when the
    system first loads by hitting a key or key combination. It is probably
    referring to video shadowing which can safely be disabled.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "rumblefish" <rumblefish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I downloaded a new driver required for my Canon scanner on my new computer
    > with Windows XP. The scanner is working fine, but since downloading the
    > driver I have received two blue screens that say the following:
    >
    > The following problem is caused by file - Intelc52.sys - an attempt was
    > made
    > to write to read only memory. Disable BIOS memory such as caching or
    > shadowing.
    >
    > Im not sure what this message means. The new driver said it was
    > compatible
    > to Windows XP. Should I uninstall the driver, or does this error message
    > refer to the driver installation or some other problem. Please help.
    > Thank
    > you.

    Good Morning Rick

    Thank you for your response. I am pretty much a newbie at this stuff.
    Could you please tell me how I would go about disabiling the video shadowing
    and what affect this would have on watching videos. Thank you.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The error message is referring to a BIOS configuration setting. This is the
    > basic interface of your hardware and software, and is accessed when the
    > system first loads by hitting a key or key combination. It is probably
    > referring to video shadowing which can safely be disabled.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "rumblefish" <rumblefish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I downloaded a new driver required for my Canon scanner on my new computer
    > > with Windows XP. The scanner is working fine, but since downloading the
    > > driver I have received two blue screens that say the following:
    > >
    > > The following problem is caused by file - Intelc52.sys - an attempt was
    > > made
    > > to write to read only memory. Disable BIOS memory such as caching or
    > > shadowing.
    > >
    > > Im not sure what this message means. The new driver said it was
    > > compatible
    > > to Windows XP. Should I uninstall the driver, or does this error message
    > > refer to the driver installation or some other problem. Please help.
    > > Thank
    > > you.

    When the computer first starts (before you see the windows screen), you need
    to press a key or keys to enter BIOS Setup. The key to press depends on PC or
    motherboard manufacturer. It's usually Del, ESC, F1, F2 or F10. Once in the
    BIOS, take a look around for video shadowing and disable it. The exit saving
    your changes. Be careful in the BIOS. You don't want to make any unnecessary
    changes. If you make a mistake or are unsure, exit without saving your
    changes.

    Good Luck,

    HJ

    "rumblefish" wrote:

    > Good Morning Rick
    >
    > Thank you for your response. I am pretty much a newbie at this stuff.
    > Could you please tell me how I would go about disabiling the video shadowing
    > and what affect this would have on watching videos. Thank you.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > The error message is referring to a BIOS configuration setting. This is the
    > > basic interface of your hardware and software, and is accessed when the
    > > system first loads by hitting a key or key combination. It is probably
    > > referring to video shadowing which can safely be disabled.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "rumblefish" <rumblefish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I downloaded a new driver required for my Canon scanner on my new computer
    > > > with Windows XP. The scanner is working fine, but since downloading the
    > > > driver I have received two blue screens that say the following:
    > > >
    > > > The following problem is caused by file - Intelc52.sys - an attempt was
    > > > made
    > > > to write to read only memory. Disable BIOS memory such as caching or
    > > > shadowing.
    > > >
    > > > Im not sure what this message means. The new driver said it was
    > > > compatible
    > > > to Windows XP. Should I uninstall the driver, or does this error message
    > > > refer to the driver installation or some other problem. Please help.
    > > > Thank
    > > > you.

    I shouldnt worry too much about shadowing being an issue, thats just
    a generic message windows comes up with when it displays the blue
    screen because its a possibility that it *could* cause a page fault.

    I got the same error on a friends machine when the modem was trying to
    dial the internet.

    I found turning off the windows firewall solved everything because i
    noticed the computer blue screened immediately when the pc secured
    the connection and authenticated to the net.

    It was a dell machine too, and even upgrading the bios to the newest
    version there were still no shadowing options in it... which was
    pretty useless.

    Hope this helps if anyone has a similar problem.

    "Dimebag" wrote:

    >I got the same error on a friends machine when the modem was trying
    >dial the internet.
    >
    >I found turning off the windows firewall solved everything because i
    >noticed the computer blue screened immediately when the pc secured
    >the connection and authenticated to the net.

    Hey Dimebag, could yu possibly explain this a little more for me? I
    have the same problem, again - on a dell machine. Everytime i open up
    explorer and try to dial to the internet i get the blue screen and
    error message ("page_fault_in_nonpaged_area")...

    im a little hesitant to just turn off window firewall for internet
    explorer... wouldnt that leave the machine unprotected??

    cheers..

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Critical-Error-Message-Blue-Screen-ftopict259123.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1393984

Windows XP