Pavilion 4445

Hi all,
Just assisted a friend with reformatting a Pavilion 4445 with Win 2K.
Getting the following device error messages "PCI Simple Communications
Controller", "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "PCI Input Device"--Need to
know which drivers we are missing and where to get them from. Of course, he
has no disks available. Looked on the website but was unsure what I needed.
Thanks,
Faith

*remove pants to reply*
8 answers Last reply
More about pavilion 4445

    Visit:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&product=57606

    OR

    visit http://www.support.hp.com
    then select "software & Driver downloads
    then enter the product number Pavilion 4445
    then click submit

    --
    Chuck
    "Gotta Have Faith" <faith@pants.zendog.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > Just assisted a friend with reformatting a Pavilion 4445 with Win 2K.
    > Getting the following device error messages "PCI Simple Communications
    > Controller", "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "PCI Input Device"--Need to
    > know which drivers we are missing and where to get them from. Of course,
    he
    > has no disks available. Looked on the website but was unsure what I
    needed.
    > Thanks,
    > Faith
    >
    > *remove pants to reply*

    This system has a motherboard with an Intel 440ZX chipset (no problem for Win
    2K), a Rockwell RipTide combo card for a audio/fax/data modem.

    Try downloading the Riptide modem Win 2K driver from the HP web site. Not sure
    whether or not it also covers the audio part of the card... Ben Myers

    > This system has a motherboard with an Intel 440ZX chipset (no problem for
    Win
    > 2K), a Rockwell RipTide combo card for a audio/fax/data modem.
    >
    > Try downloading the Riptide modem Win 2K driver from the HP web site. Not
    sure
    > whether or not it also covers the audio part of the card... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:42:48 GMT, "Gotta Have Faith"
    <faith@pants.zendog.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >Just assisted a friend with reformatting a Pavilion 4445 with Win 2K.
    > >Getting the following device error messages "PCI Simple Communications
    > >Controller", "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "PCI Input Device"--Need
    > >know which drivers we are missing and where to get them from. Of course,
    he
    > >has no disks available. Looked on the website but was unsure what I
    needed.
    > >Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    > >Thanks,
    > >Faith
    > >
    > >*remove pants to reply*

    Ben,
    Thanks for the tip--I tried it and now I am getting the following blue
    screen error message:
    The registry cannot load the hive (file)
    \systemroot\system32\config\software or its log or alternate--It is corrupt,
    absent or not writeable--Beginning dump of physical memory--Dumping physical
    memory
    This keeps looping--any suggestions? I would like to reformat and simply
    start over but I am not sure how to do that. I cannot even start in safe
    mode.
    Thanks,
    Faith

    "Gotta Have Faith" <faith@pants.zendog.net> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Ben,
    > Thanks for the tip--I tried it and now I am getting the following
    blue
    > screen error message:
    > The registry cannot load the hive (file)
    > \systemroot\system32\config\software or its log or alternate--It is
    corrupt,
    > absent or not writeable--Beginning dump of physical memory--Dumping
    physical
    > memory
    > This keeps looping--any suggestions? I would like to reformat and
    simply
    > start over but I am not sure how to do that. I cannot even start in
    safe
    > mode.
    > Thanks,
    > Faith

    Did the computer come with restore cd's? If so you place the recovery
    cd into the cd rom drive and restart the machine and on restart the
    system should find the recovery cd and start the format and reinstall
    process. However you must make sure that the boot from cd option is
    set in the bios (F2) I believe is the way to the bios.

    If you have them and it is set then the system will reset itself back
    to original factory specs. Please remember this process is lengthy to
    complete.

    Now if you don't have those cd's or disks you have to go to
    bootdisk.com http://www.bootdisk.com and download a boot disk to start
    the fdisk and format process. Always select option 1 for full cd rom
    support since it makes it easier to fdisk and format the system.

    After boot up you will see an "a prompt"

    a:>

    You type fdisk.exe [Hit Enter] choose option 4 but if its just a bad
    system disk I would only reformat which is again at the "a prompt"

    a:>format c/s [Hit Enter] [make sure to leave a space between the t in
    format and c]

    all media on drive c will be erased continue Y/N select Y and Hit
    Enter.

    After the format is complete you restart the machine with the floppy
    diskette and select the option 1 for full cd rom support and then load
    the OS on the machine (Windows NT, XP, 2000 or what ever version you
    have been using) from the run line it will show up as either an "A
    Prompt" or "C Prompt" if it shows an "a" you will do the following:

    a:>cd d or e [hit enter and make sure there is a space between the d
    in cd and the d or e for the drive letterof the cd rom]

    it should look like this:

    e:>

    from that prompt you type

    e:>setup.exe [Hit Enter] at this juncture the system should be
    installing. However many of the systems are upgrades so make sure you
    have the previous version to show as proof to use the upgrade and that
    you have the Operating System to load on the computer. if you don't
    you will have to buy a copy or go the route of getting the recovery
    cd's from HP.

    I hope that helped?

    Elector

    "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > diskette and select the option 1 for full cd rom support and then load
    > the OS on the machine (Windows NT, XP, 2000 or what ever version you
    > have been using) from the run line it will show up as either an "A
    > Prompt" or "C Prompt" if it shows an "a" you will do the following:
    >
    > a:>cd d or e [hit enter and make sure there is a space between the d
    > in cd and the d or e for the drive letterof the cd rom]
    >
    > it should look like this:
    >
    > e:>
    >
    > from that prompt you type
    >
    > e:>setup.exe [Hit Enter] at this juncture the system should be
    > installing. However many of the systems are upgrades so make sure you
    > have the previous version to show as proof to use the upgrade and that
    > you have the Operating System to load on the computer. if you don't
    > you will have to buy a copy or go the route of getting the recovery

    I hate to sound dumb but... No, my friend does not have the install/restore
    CD's. I went to the website you listed but I am unsure which set up to
    download. We are looking to re-install Win2K. Can you direct me? Many
    thanks in advance.
    Faith

    "Gotta Have Faith" <faith@pants.zendog.net> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > I hate to sound dumb but... No, my friend does not have the
    install/restore
    > CD's. I went to the website you listed but I am unsure which set up
    > download. We are looking to re-install Win2K. Can you direct me?
    Many
    > thanks in advance.
    > Faith

    A windows 2K start up disk will work
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm but if there is a bootdisk for
    your OS then choose it W2K Pro: svrops is the one your choosing then
    follow the directions from that page. Place a blank diskette into the
    floppy drive and then download the start up disk.
    Select the option 1 for full cd rom support. However you will need a
    copy of Windows 2000 full install cd to place the operating system on
    the computer.

    I am not certain but in Windows XP the cd can be bootable and then
    format and reinstall the operating system. Since I have not used
    Windows 2000 I cannot say if that is possible. You need the cd's there
    is no way around that other than calling up HP and buying the restore
    cd's that came with your system. That is the easier way. Sorry.

    Elector

> [...]
    > > in cd and the d or e for the drive letterof the cd rom]
    > >
    > > it should look like this:
    > >
    > > e:>
    > >
    > > from that prompt you type
    > >
    > > e:>setup.exe [Hit Enter] at this juncture the system should be
    > > installing. However many of the systems are upgrades so make sure you
    > > have the previous version to show as proof to use the upgrade and that
    > > you have the Operating System to load on the computer. if you don't
    > > you will have to buy a copy or go the route of getting the recovery
    > > cd's from HP.
    > >
    > > I hope that helped?
    > >
    > > Elector
    > >

    > I hate to sound dumb but... No, my friend does not have the
    install/restore
    > CD's. I went to the website you listed but I am unsure which set up to
    > download. We are looking to re-install Win2K. Can you direct me? Many

    Just put the win2k disk in the cd-rom and start the computer. You don't
    even need a boot disk. Bit first, go into your bios and make sure that
    you're set to boot from cd-rom.

    Installation of win2k is so easy, anyone can do it.

    Brigitte

    You may be able to get a original restore cd from
    http://www.ambry.com. They usually carry all of them. All you need
    is the correct part number from hp.

    "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<K3pTc.143161$bp1.138469@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
    > "Gotta Have Faith" <faith@pants.zendog.net> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > I hate to sound dumb but... No, my friend does not have the
    > install/restore
    > > CD's. I went to the website you listed but I am unsure which set up
    > > download. We are looking to re-install Win2K. Can you direct me?
    > Many
    > > thanks in advance.
    > > Faith
    > >

    > A windows 2K start up disk will work
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm but if there is a bootdisk for
    > your OS then choose it W2K Pro: svrops is the one your choosing then
    > follow the directions from that page. Place a blank diskette into the
    > floppy drive and then download the start up disk.
    > Select the option 1 for full cd rom support. However you will need a
    > copy of Windows 2000 full install cd to place the operating system on
    > the computer.
    >
    > I am not certain but in Windows XP the cd can be bootable and then
    > format and reinstall the operating system. Since I have not used
    > Windows 2000 I cannot say if that is possible. You need the cd's there
    > is no way around that other than calling up HP and buying the restore
    > cd's that came with your system. That is the easier way. Sorry.
    >
    > Elector

Hewlett Packard Controller Pavilion Computers