Problem booting with new motherboard

godlemon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2003
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting and I just hope that someone out there can help me. I just bought an ASUS A7N8X board to replace my old Gigabyte GA-7ZX. I just felt that I had waited long enough and I needed an upgrade. Now, pretty much everything went fine. I replaced the motherboard and installed all of the cards and the CPU, memory, hard drives, etc. So I'm feeling pretty good because everything is working the first time. Then, BSOD. It POSTs and loads the drives and everything, but just before it gets to the WinXP logo screen, the BSOD comes up. I am completely at a loss for what to do. I can boot to dos through a floppy and access the hard drive from there and all, but no matter what I've tried to do, I can't boot normally. It won't even let me boot into Safe Mode. I'm really hoping that someone out there can help me. I'll provide any other info that you might need.

AMD AthlonXP 1900+
512MB Kingston DDR333 RAM
ASUS 9280 GF4
ASUS A7N8X 1002.A BIOS
SBLive5.1
Maxtor 30GB HD

Thanks in advance

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
what's the message of the BSOD? that's an important message which tells you what went wrong. before getting that message, I can only assume you haven't formatted your hdd before you changed your mobo (driver issue). But if you are sure your hdd had been formatted then I would say use your WinXP CD to boot and reinstall windows.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
i agree with TKH i think you have driver issues. reformat and fdisk ur hdd then reinstall windows.
or it may be ram related but that isnt too likely

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.