Sign in with
Your question

Off Road Thunder Monitor issue

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2009 6:48:31 PM

When I turn on the above game my monitor begins to zap like a bug zapper and spark towards the top. Was working fine and just began. No visual appears on the monitor. just a zapping/sparking. I tunr it right off. Has anyone encountered this? Is my monitor bad? Is there something i can do to troubleshoot and repair? any help greatly appreciated. thanks

More about : road thunder monitor issue

February 13, 2009 4:41:41 AM

I had that problem before, but that was because I dropped the computer monitor.
August 3, 2009 2:52:38 PM

wangfox said:
When I turn on the above game my monitor begins to zap like a bug zapper and spark towards the top. Was working fine and just began. No visual appears on the monitor. just a zapping/sparking. I tunr it right off. Has anyone encountered this? Is my monitor bad? Is there something i can do to troubleshoot and repair? any help greatly appreciated. thanks

Check closely and you'll see the spark comes out from the flyback, this is the only component that will generate really high voltage (more than 10 k volts), this voltage finds its way through the nearest ground (in this case the chassis).

The flyback it's the big black transformer, usually in one corner of your chassis, and you will see a big red wire going to the top back of your tv.

On time the flyback housing will crack and will allow this high voltage to come out from it.

With the game turned off check for any small crack, most of the times it will be easy since the high voltage will leave a burned mark on the flyback itself. Try and isolate this leaking point with any kind of silicone. Be generous, usually you will find the crack on the top side of it, but it's always a good idea to cover with silicone all of the top to avoid future problems like it. Let it dry for a couple of hours and try it again, if it doesn't spark you are all set.

Most of the time this will fix your problem, if not you will have to replace your flyback.

Good Luck!!!!
September 24, 2009 8:02:34 PM

Played with the flyback and as i got further in to it found more issues. Ended up just purchasing a new flat screen monitor assembly for the game. A little more than i wanted to spend but it was easy to install and replace much of the wiring in the entire game. New monitor connected directly to the computer with standard monitor cable. Clarity of the picture is so much better and the game plays very well.

Thanks for your input.
!