Msi K7n2-L vs Soltek 75frn-L

deee12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Im asking here since nobody responded in the overclocking section. Ive read reviews of the K7n2-L where this board doesn't unlock the chip is this still a problem with this board? Also which of these 2 boards would be recomended for someone who wants to get a decent air overclock of a XP 2600+ or 2700+? I want something very stable and as trouble free as possible but inexpensive...NOT looking for extreme overclocking.I have sound card and Vid card...Thx for all repies.

robertk

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Er not looking for extreme overclocking.
All overclocking is extreme.
1)Instantly half the life of your hardware.
2)Possibly destroy expensive computer components.

Overclocking is great if it works but if it dont you outta pocket, my friend.

Only overclock old gear coz who cares if it frys.
And theres a certain good feeling about overclocking a 1ghz duron.
Finally I would not really recommend the k7n2, you should really go for the asus a7n8x or better the nforce epox.

If you gotta go, go with a smile/y.

deee12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Can someone who owns or know alot about these boards give me some advice on which one would be prefered? I have read as much as I could find on both but hearing from people who own these boards would be helpfull. I would like to know if there would be any problem Unlocking the chip and also If I would be able to hit 400mhz fsb stable with Corsair DDR 3200 RAM. I have only overclocked my vid card before so Im a little inexperienced with this.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
AFAIK, all nForce2 boards unlock T-bred "B" CPU's, including MSI K7N2-L.

MSI K7N2-L is a better buy than Soltek nForce2. It's the fastest nForce2 board and also stable

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Overclock to 200MHz FSB and you think it's not EXTREMELY overclocked? Only you have very good cooling (water cooling preferred) and you are ready to cash out some more to get another CPU at any time. And as far as I known nForce2 is not to be design for running in sync at 200/200 (at least not for now, BIOS update needed!) so you may not have big performance gain but you've shorten your CPU's life.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

nYak

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
I own the soltek board too, it was far cheaper then the msi ones that I saw , it's running stable @ 200FSB and alot comparasions of the nforce2 mobos didn't include the soltek board.

So really the soltek will give you alot more for you dollar, and the performance of all nforce2 boards are so high that and the lead one board has over another isn't really worth the extra money and you should really go for what has the best features for the right price. The75frn-RL is a damn good buy, and if the supplier is up to date then you'll get yourself a Version D board with some BIOS revesions and new stepping chipsets not found on the earlier boards (they also use a new series of bios the board , which is called "75frn2-L/RL" on the site.

But if your overclocking then I highly recommend getting some GOOD QUALITY (NOT OCZ)pc3200 RAM just to know you've got the whole spectrum up to at least 200FSB covered