Password Folders

Trying to find out if it is possible to put passwords on specific folders in
your drive. For example when you double click on Program Files you are asked
for a password. Any response welcome.
4 answers Last reply
More about password folders

    Windows XP does not have the capability to password-protect
    an individual file or folder. Instead, read the following:

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows ­XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for ­files and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Raz" wrote:

    | Trying to find out if it is possible to put passwords on specific folders in
    | your drive. For example when you double click on Program Files you are asked
    | for a password. Any response welcome.

    No - as NT OS's (NT 4.0, 2k, XP, 2k3) all use a "superior" method of
    security called "permissions" - it is very similar to, but not exactly like
    the same "permissions" scheme used on unix/linux. This way, you can control
    access down to the "file" level, if needed.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    In news:3BA26442-7A51-4114-A1CC-2F4F28C66829@microsoft.com,
    Raz <Raz@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Trying to find out if it is possible to put passwords on specific
    > folders in your drive. For example when you double click on Program
    > Files you are asked for a password. Any response welcome.

    I suppose that you could if you wanted to compress the files first and then
    use the built in encryption feature. It's a rather round about way of doing
    this but it's easy enough and works I suppose. Feel free to click this link:

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,110663,00.asp

    That should wisk you away to a site that will describe the process in
    detail. Let me know if it works, I've never honestly tried it but it's worth
    a shot.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    You need third party software for this. Here are a couple of options
    http://www.folder-password-expert.com/ or
    http://www.everstrike.com/lock_folder.htm Of course there are many more. Be
    advised that while these apps will work well from Windows the folders may be
    not locked from outside of Windows. So if the hard drive is mounted in
    another system the protection will not be there.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Raz" <Raz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Trying to find out if it is possible to put passwords on specific folders
    in
    | your drive. For example when you double click on Program Files you are
    asked
    | for a password. Any response welcome.

Microsoft Windows XP