Password Folders

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
February 2, 2005 6:05:04 PM

Trying to find out if it is possible to put passwords on specific folders in
your drive. For example when you double click on Program Files you are asked
for a password. Any response welcome.

More about : password folders

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:15:12 PM

Windows XP does not have the capability to password-protect
an individual file or folder. Instead, read the following:

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows ­XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for ­files and folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Raz" wrote:

| Trying to find out if it is possible to put passwords on specific folders in
| your drive. For example when you double click on Program Files you are asked
| for a password. Any response welcome.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:14:55 PM

No - as NT OS's (NT 4.0, 2k, XP, 2k3) all use a "superior" method of
security called "permissions" - it is very similar to, but not exactly like
the same "permissions" scheme used on unix/linux. This way, you can control
access down to the "file" level, if needed.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"Raz" <Raz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to find out if it is possible to put passwords on specific folders
in
> your drive. For example when you double click on Program Files you are
asked
> for a password. Any response welcome.
Related resources
February 2, 2005 10:20:19 PM

In news:3BA26442-7A51-4114-A1CC-2F4F28C66829@microsoft.com,
Raz <Raz@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Trying to find out if it is possible to put passwords on specific
> folders in your drive. For example when you double click on Program
> Files you are asked for a password. Any response welcome.

I suppose that you could if you wanted to compress the files first and then
use the built in encryption feature. It's a rather round about way of doing
this but it's easy enough and works I suppose. Feel free to click this link:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,110663,00.as...

That should wisk you away to a site that will describe the process in
detail. Let me know if it works, I've never honestly tried it but it's worth
a shot.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:55:22 PM

You need third party software for this. Here are a couple of options
http://www.folder-password-expert.com/ or
http://www.everstrike.com/lock_folder.htm Of course there are many more. Be
advised that while these apps will work well from Windows the folders may be
not locked from outside of Windows. So if the hard drive is mounted in
another system the protection will not be there.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

!