Can't open Abode PDF forms using Microsoft Internet Explorer

February 3, 2005 10:35:04 AM

Morning,

I am running Windows XP Pro and Microsoft Internet Explorer. When I go to a
site like http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf and thry to open/download
the form I only get a blank page with a small box with a red X in it at the
upper left hand corner of the page. What do I need to do to allow this form
to open/download?

Thank YOU
Grover
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:45:23 PM

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:35:04 -0800, woodgc wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro and Microsoft Internet Explorer. When I go to a
> site like http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf and thry to open/download
> the form I only get a blank page with a small box with a red X in it at the
> upper left hand corner of the page. What do I need to do to allow this form
> to open/download?

Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html and get the free
Adobe Acrobat reader. Once that is installed you will be able to open/read
pdf files.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

February 4, 2005 3:43:10 AM

Troubleshooting problems opening PDF files in Internet Explorer window:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/pdf.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"woodgc" <woodgc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Morning,
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro and Microsoft Internet Explorer. When I go to
> site like http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf and thry to open/download
> the form I only get a blank page with a small box with a red X in it at
> the
> upper left hand corner of the page. What do I need to do to allow this
> form
> to open/download?
>
> Thank YOU
> Grover
February 4, 2005 3:43:11 AM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:43:10 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
wrote:

There's also a 2nd problem with adobe reader. they've just upgraded from 6.0.1
to 7. and backwards compatibility is nonexistent. You MUST upgrade if you
frequent public sites that use pdf files. Old pdf's created with 6 will still
work, but there's no indication from the error you get what the actual problem
is.
Upgrade to v7 reader. it's free.

>Troubleshooting problems opening PDF files in Internet Explorer window:
>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/pdf.htm

February 4, 2005 12:35:03 PM

Thanks Husky.

>> backwards compatibility is nonexistent.

Are you sure about it? Or is it documented in Adobe's site perhaps?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:43:10 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
> There's also a 2nd problem with adobe reader. they've just upgraded from
> 6.0.1
> to 7. and backwards compatibility is nonexistent. You MUST upgrade if you
> frequent public sites that use pdf files. Old pdf's created with 6 will
> still
> work, but there's no indication from the error you get what the actual
> problem
> is.
> Upgrade to v7 reader. it's free.
>

>>Troubleshooting problems opening PDF files in Internet Explorer window:
>>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/pdf.htm
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 4:03:00 PM

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:43:10 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
> There's also a 2nd problem with adobe reader. they've just upgraded
> from 6.0.1 to 7. and backwards compatibility is nonexistent. You MUST
> upgrade if you frequent public sites that use pdf files. Old pdf's
> created with 6 will still work, but there's no indication from the
> error you get what the actual problem is.
> Upgrade to v7 reader. it's free.

Backwards compatibility is fine. Reader 7 opens Reader 6 files without a
problem.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> Frank Saunders, MS-MVPwrote:
"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:43:10 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
> There's also a 2nd problem with adobe reader. they've just upgraded
> from 6.0.1 to 7. and backwards compatibility is nonexistent. You
MUST
> upgrade if you frequent public sites that use pdf files. Old pdf's
> created with 6 will still work, but there's no indication from the
> error you get what the actual problem is.
> Upgrade to v7 reader. it's free.

Backwards compatibility is fine. Reader 7 opens Reader 6 files
without a
problem.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC

We have a difference of opinion here. What I'm saying is that pdf
reader 6.0.1 can't read pdf's crEated with adobe pdf maker 7.
New PDFs; have made pdf reader 6.0.1 obsolete.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:27:25 PM

> Frank Saunders, MS-MVPwrote:
"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:43:10 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
> There's also a 2nd problem with adobe reader. they've just upgraded
> from 6.0.1 to 7. and backwards compatibility is nonexistent. You
MUST
> upgrade if you frequent public sites that use pdf files. Old pdf's
> created with 6 will still work, but there's no indication from the
> error you get what the actual problem is.
> Upgrade to v7 reader. it's free.

Backwards compatibility is fine. Reader 7 opens Reader 6 files
without a
problem.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC

Though it's been more than a week since I posted the incompatibility
problem. I can probably assume that TheWB hasn't changed the NEW PDF
they created that chokes PDF 6 reader when used to print from the
web.
http://www.thewb.com/Faces/Poster/0,11116,169086%7C%7C,...
This is the GOOD Beverley Mitchell link that works with pdf 6 reader.
It's been up for a year or more.
She has a lacy black off the shoulder top facing straight ahead.

http://www.thewb.com/Faces/Poster/0,11116,210734,00.htm...
This is the New one of her, she's wearing a gold belt, and turned
sideways.
This is the one that chokes the adobe reader when you send it to a
printer.

I've already done the homework on this one.
Unless you've upgraded to pdf reader 7, you got an error.
I can't test it now as I upgraded to 7 when I found pdf had upgraded.
It happened both online from the public library, and from my home
computer. Before I upgraded.
6.0.1 can NOT read a pdf created by 7.
I even tried it offline. It saves to disk with right cliock save just
fine, just can't do anything with it.
Maybe there's been a fix in adobe 7 pdf maker. This was weeks ago that
nothing worked to open it to printer.
!