Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard and Case?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 2, 2003 4:45:58 AM

Okay I have a few dumb questions and I never asked them before.

I intend on building my own system, here are my questions.
I want to buy a tower type pc case - I think it's a mid-tower it would have 3 optical drive bays and 2 floppy drive bays.
I'm going to buy an AMD processor a socket A so I'm pretty sure I need to buy an ATX case right or is that just a brand?
Here is the main question though, let's say my case is a mid-tower, will any motherboard I buy fit it?

2nd question, I've seen pictures on CPU installation, some just have a flipup lever and you pop the CPU in, and some talk about the heatsink, is there always a heat sink on them?

Final question, exactly what is "refurbished" when we're talking about computer hardware, like a mobo? Does that mean it was broke and they fixed it? Is it safe to buy a refurbished piece of comp hardware? If it is, why doesn't everyone buy refurbished? (Granted that most people probably have no clue what it is like me?)

More about : motherboard case

a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2003 5:37:33 AM

ATX is the most standard style board/case form factor. I don't think you know a lot about cases, so I suggest you go to <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/listProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit..., 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=&description=" target="_new">Here and pick one</A>. There are several pages of case styles there. The best manufacturers under $100 are Aopen (cheap but good), Inwin, Chieftech, Enlight, Enermax, and Antec. Enlight is probably your best value in a heavy duty case.

Now, ATX is the standard. ATX cases have 7 card slots. ATX boards have 5-7 slots. The next board size down is Micro ATX (mATX), which has only 4 slots and fits both mATX and ATX cases. mATX cases can be smaller, but the thinnest mATX cases use half height cards which should be avoided (you'll see if you open the pictures).

The next size down from mATX is Flex ATX. I don't recommend them, they have at most 2 slots.

You always need a heatsink. If you buy a Retail Boxed processor, a heatsink is included, and you get a factory 3 year warranty.

Refurbished can mean a lot of things. I'm a refurbisher, I buy corporate systems and outfit them as multimedia systems. Refurbished can mean repaired, but it can also simply mean cleaned, or used. Often people buy things and decide they didn't really want them, and return them. These returns are labled refurbished even if they were unused.

Oh, and by the way, the flashiest looking cases are often poorly made from cheap, thin materials, sometimes have unfinished edges which can cut your hands (often they "finish" them by folding the edge over). Heavier cases have polished edges because the metal is too thick to simply fold over.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!