Networking multiple workgroups multiple locales

I took my XP laptop "out of the box" and ran network setup for connecting to
computers that DON'T have Internet access, and when it asked for the
workgroup name gave it the office workgroup called "MSHOME" then selected
assign TCP/IP address automaticaly. When I go to the Print offie, for
example, they have Win98, ME, 2000NT and XP Workstations and their network
group is called "WORKGROUPQ" and they have assigned TCP/IP addresses begining
(###.xxx.?.computer#). When I plug into thier USB Hub, turn on my computer,
go to "My Network" several things show up:
Add new connection; network setup; and Entire Network
going to "Entire Network" 3 things show up:
Microsoft Terminal Services (What's this????? nothing comes up)
Web Cleint Network (What's this????? nothing comes up)
and Microsoft Windows Network
This opens up to show my office network group "MSHOME" but not thier
workgroup "WORGROUPQ"
I gotta go through network setup to connect to computer w/o I-net access and
call my workgroup "WORKGROUPQ" and assign TCP/IP address of ###.xxx.?.99 and
finish setup. Then I see "WORKGROUPQ" (but not "MSHOME") and can send stuff
to their printer (###.xxx.?.60)
NEVER have I connected to an off-site workgroup and seen my "MSHOME"
workgroup AND the local workgroup "thiscompanyworkgroupname" both listed
under "Microsoft Windows Network"
Given All This----HOW DO I DO WHAT I WANT TO DO???????

In System Properties, change the workgroup from MSHOME to WORKGROUPQ. Then in
Network Properties assign an IP Address, DNS, Gateway, etc. You just have to
switch between the IP Address and automatically assigned IP depending on
where you are trying to connect.

IBM Thinkpads have a feature that allows different IP configurations and
locations. I'm not sure if other laptops have that feature.

"ubpc" wrote:

> I took my XP laptop "out of the box" and ran network setup for connecting to
> computers that DON'T have Internet access, and when it asked for the
> workgroup name gave it the office workgroup called "MSHOME" then selected
> assign TCP/IP address automaticaly. When I go to the Print offie, for
> example, they have Win98, ME, 2000NT and XP Workstations and their network
> group is called "WORKGROUPQ" and they have assigned TCP/IP addresses begining
> (###.xxx.?.computer#). When I plug into thier USB Hub, turn on my computer,
> go to "My Network" several things show up:
> Add new connection; network setup; and Entire Network
> going to "Entire Network" 3 things show up:
> Microsoft Terminal Services (What's this????? nothing comes up)
> Web Cleint Network (What's this????? nothing comes up)
> and Microsoft Windows Network
> This opens up to show my office network group "MSHOME" but not thier
> workgroup "WORGROUPQ"
> I gotta go through network setup to connect to computer w/o I-net access and
> call my workgroup "WORKGROUPQ" and assign TCP/IP address of ###.xxx.?.99 and
> finish setup. Then I see "WORKGROUPQ" (but not "MSHOME") and can send stuff
> to their printer (###.xxx.?.60)
> NEVER have I connected to an off-site workgroup and seen my "MSHOME"
> workgroup AND the local workgroup "thiscompanyworkgroupname" both listed
> under "Microsoft Windows Network"
> Given All This----HOW DO I DO WHAT I WANT TO DO???????

Yes you can connect to the printer. You just have to obtain the IP address or
sharename of the printer.

"hjomby@hotmail.com" wrote:

> In System Properties, change the workgroup from MSHOME to WORKGROUPQ. Then in
> Network Properties assign an IP Address, DNS, Gateway, etc. You just have to
> switch between the IP Address and automatically assigned IP depending on
> where you are trying to connect.
>
> IBM Thinkpads have a feature that allows different IP configurations and
> locations. I'm not sure if other laptops have that feature.
>
> "ubpc" wrote:
>
> > I took my XP laptop "out of the box" and ran network setup for connecting to
> > computers that DON'T have Internet access, and when it asked for the
> > workgroup name gave it the office workgroup called "MSHOME" then selected
> > assign TCP/IP address automaticaly. When I go to the Print offie, for
> > example, they have Win98, ME, 2000NT and XP Workstations and their network
> > group is called "WORKGROUPQ" and they have assigned TCP/IP addresses begining
> > (###.xxx.?.computer#). When I plug into thier USB Hub, turn on my computer,
> > go to "My Network" several things show up:
> > Add new connection; network setup; and Entire Network
> > going to "Entire Network" 3 things show up:
> > Microsoft Terminal Services (What's this????? nothing comes up)
> > Web Cleint Network (What's this????? nothing comes up)
> > and Microsoft Windows Network
> > This opens up to show my office network group "MSHOME" but not thier
> > workgroup "WORGROUPQ"
> > I gotta go through network setup to connect to computer w/o I-net access and
> > call my workgroup "WORKGROUPQ" and assign TCP/IP address of ###.xxx.?.99 and
> > finish setup. Then I see "WORKGROUPQ" (but not "MSHOME") and can send stuff
> > to their printer (###.xxx.?.60)
> > NEVER have I connected to an off-site workgroup and seen my "MSHOME"
> > workgroup AND the local workgroup "thiscompanyworkgroupname" both listed
> > under "Microsoft Windows Network"
> > Given All This----HOW DO I DO WHAT I WANT TO DO???????

TRENDING THREADS