Ping: misfit--comp problems

Well I found a new board online to replace the broken one and I got it
put in, plugged in the chips and connectors and now the CD/ROM drive
wont read discs, which mean I can't play : (

I suppose I could plug the Mac back in, but its a pain to keep
switching back and forth and our network isnt compatible with the old
pre OSX Mac, so I cant run them at the same time.

Any ideas on the disc drive?

Sean

BTW, the board I replaced is the big flat one on the bottom (if the
comp is on its side) that everything else plugs into. I think its
called the processor. I checked the plugs from the disc drive and its
hooked up.

unklbob wrote:
> Well I found a new board online to replace the broken one and I got
it
> put in, plugged in the chips and connectors and now the CD/ROM drive
> wont read discs, which mean I can't play : (
>
> I suppose I could plug the Mac back in, but its a pain to keep
> switching back and forth and our network isnt compatible with the old
> pre OSX Mac, so I cant run them at the same time.
>
> Any ideas on the disc drive?
>

> Sean
>
> BTW, the board I replaced is the big flat one on the bottom (if the
> comp is on its side) that everything else plugs into. I think its
> called the processor. I checked the plugs from the disc drive and
its
> hooked up.

That would be your motherboard. Now, while being totally illiterate
when it comes to fruit based computers, this does sound like a problem
with the drivers.

Mickey

Actually this is a Dell PC that I replaced the board. It broke shortly
after the warranty expired, literally broke. There are two wire loops
epoxied into the board that hold a retaining wire that keeps a heat
sink down. One of the loops popped loose, hence the board needed
replacing, since I was told that attempting to repair it would mess up
the circuitry. Now that the CD ROM drive wont read discs, D2 is
unusable.

I guess I should have just upgraded to a newer, fruit-based model. I
understand them. And they don't "break".

Sean

"unklbob" <mcgriswald@aol.com> wrote in message

> I guess I should have just upgraded to a newer, fruit-based model. I
> understand them. And they don't "break".

Then you're not dropping it from high enough up.

There are seperate connections for the HDD and CDROM, so the
master/slave thing doesnt apply. As for the processor/heat sink, It
comes as a one piece kit from Dell, but the pinned assembly will come
apart when you remove the heat sink from the mobo. I carefully
reassembled it, making sure the pins and holes lined up before I
replaced the heat sink/fan/ processor.

The system runs on windows nt.

I don't think the CD drive is worn out, since it was working fine just
prior to the heat sink problem, and it had been replaced under warranty
not six months prior. Mickey suggested the driver, and I think I am
going to check the Dell site and reload them, although I dont have a
clue if it will work, since the HDD is working fine.

Sean

unklbob wrote:
> There are seperate connections for the HDD and CDROM, so the
> master/slave thing doesnt apply. As for the processor/heat sink, It
> comes as a one piece kit from Dell, but the pinned assembly will come
> apart when you remove the heat sink from the mobo. I carefully
> reassembled it, making sure the pins and holes lined up before I
> replaced the heat sink/fan/ processor.
>
> The system runs on windows nt.
>
> I don't think the CD drive is worn out, since it was working fine just
> prior to the heat sink problem, and it had been replaced under
> warranty not six months prior. Mickey suggested the driver, and I
> think I am going to check the Dell site and reload them, although I
> dont have a clue if it will work, since the HDD is working fine.

CDROM drives don't need drivers per se. It's handled at a low-level,
sub-operating system by the BIOS on the mobo. Windows just finds it and uses
it, no device driver needed.

Unfortunately NT is one of the few MS OSes that I'm not familiar with. I'd
check connections first and make sure it's set to master or single if it's
the only device on the IDE ribbon. Is the BIOS recognising it? Does it show
up on the boot screen? Sort of like: "Found CDROM NEC2435" or similar. I
think it's either hardware related (As that's what you've changed. You
haven't reinstalled Windows have you?). Or it's BIOS related. The BIOS comes
on the mobo and the settings on the new one may not be identical to the
settings on the old one. (BIOS = Basic Input/Output System and is located on
a flash ROM chip on the mobo. You can access it during boot-up, usually by
pressing <delete> after it beeps).

Good luck, post back if I can help more. I think cabling personally. Most
BIOS's pick up a CDROM without any settings being changed. It's either
cabling or the second IDE channel on the mobo is hosed.
--
~misfit~

If I had it in front of me I'd probably have it fixed before I finished a
coffee. However remote troubleshooting is a whole different kettle of fish.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> unklbob wrote:
>> There are seperate connections for the HDD and CDROM, so the
>> master/slave thing doesnt apply. As for the processor/heat sink, It
>> comes as a one piece kit from Dell, but the pinned assembly will come
>> apart when you remove the heat sink from the mobo. I carefully
>> reassembled it, making sure the pins and holes lined up before I
>> replaced the heat sink/fan/ processor.
>>
>> The system runs on windows nt.
>>
>> I don't think the CD drive is worn out, since it was working fine just
>> prior to the heat sink problem, and it had been replaced under
>> warranty not six months prior. Mickey suggested the driver, and I
>> think I am going to check the Dell site and reload them, although I
>> dont have a clue if it will work, since the HDD is working fine.
>
> CDROM drives don't need drivers per se. It's handled at a low-level,
> sub-operating system by the BIOS on the mobo. Windows just finds it and
> uses
> it, no device driver needed.
>
> Unfortunately NT is one of the few MS OSes that I'm not familiar with. I'd
> check connections first and make sure it's set to master or single if it's
> the only device on the IDE ribbon. Is the BIOS recognising it? Does it
> show
> up on the boot screen? Sort of like: "Found CDROM NEC2435" or similar. I
> think it's either hardware related (As that's what you've changed. You
> haven't reinstalled Windows have you?). Or it's BIOS related. The BIOS
> comes
> on the mobo and the settings on the new one may not be identical to the
> settings on the old one. (BIOS = Basic Input/Output System and is located
> on
> a flash ROM chip on the mobo. You can access it during boot-up, usually by
> pressing <delete> after it beeps).

<F2> is also a popular BIOS launcher on Intel boards. (Dang, I missed the
NT reference first time through. That's my playground.) Unplug the CD
entirely - if the system boots and runs smoothly, it strongly points to
jumpers and BIOS settings. The factory BIOS might still have a old
configuration, with the CD set on the other connector on something. Setting
both the IDE channels to Auto and rebooting might wake the system back up.

While you're in there, set "Plug and Play OS" to "No". Change the parallel
port to anything other than "Auto". NT lives in a world all it's own.

> Good luck, post back if I can help more. I think cabling personally. Most
> BIOS's pick up a CDROM without any settings being changed. It's either
> cabling or the second IDE channel on the mobo is hosed.
> --
> ~misfit~
>
> If I had it in front of me I'd probably have it fixed before I finished a
> coffee. However remote troubleshooting is a whole different kettle of
> fish.

....a kettle that's been left in the sun for a few days...
--
Zamboni

Craig

~misfit~ wrote:
> unklbob wrote:
>> There are seperate connections for the HDD and CDROM, so the
>> master/slave thing doesnt apply. As for the processor/heat sink, It
>> comes as a one piece kit from Dell, but the pinned assembly will come
>> apart when you remove the heat sink from the mobo. I carefully
>> reassembled it, making sure the pins and holes lined up before I
>> replaced the heat sink/fan/ processor.
>>
>> The system runs on windows nt.
>>
>> I don't think the CD drive is worn out, since it was working fine
>> just prior to the heat sink problem, and it had been replaced under
>> warranty not six months prior. Mickey suggested the driver, and I
>> think I am going to check the Dell site and reload them, although I
>> dont have a clue if it will work, since the HDD is working fine.
>
> CDROM drives don't need drivers per se. It's handled at a low-level,
> sub-operating system by the BIOS on the mobo. Windows just finds it
> and uses it, no device driver needed.
>
> Unfortunately NT is one of the few MS OSes that I'm not familiar
> with. I'd check connections first and make sure it's set to master or
> single if it's the only device on the IDE ribbon. Is the BIOS
> recognising it? Does it show up on the boot screen? Sort of like:
> "Found CDROM NEC2435" or similar. I think it's either hardware
> related (As that's what you've changed. You haven't reinstalled
> Windows have you?). Or it's BIOS related. The BIOS comes on the mobo
> and the settings on the new one may not be identical to the settings
> on the old one. (BIOS = Basic Input/Output System and is located on a
> flash ROM chip on the mobo. You can access it during boot-up, usually
> by pressing <delete> after it beeps).
>
> Good luck, post back if I can help more. I think cabling personally.
> Most BIOS's pick up a CDROM without any settings being changed. It's
> either cabling or the second IDE channel on the mobo is hosed.

Another option to check is that the secondary IDE channel is enabled, I have
seen some mb's that have it disabled by default, to access the BIOS, press
the <del> key at start-up.

Craig