Dumb Wireless security question?

Gents;

I'm designing an 802.11g wireless network where all PC clients are
using WPA. I also need to connect several parallel printers
wirelessly and I cannot find any wireles print servers that support
WPA.

So - my question(s) are:

1) does anyone know of any?

2) Any way to connect any wireless print servers (b or g) in a
non-secure way IF the AP has WPA enabled?

Thanks for any not-so-dumb responses.

Bob

"Bob Mariotti" wrote:

> I'm designing an 802.11g wireless network where all PC clients are
> using WPA. I also need to connect several parallel printers
> wirelessly and I cannot find any wireles print servers that support
> WPA.
>
> So - my question(s) are:
>
> 1) does anyone know of any?

Not that I'm aware of.

> 2) Any way to connect any wireless print servers (b or g) in a
> non-secure way IF the AP has WPA enabled?

Change set AP's settings to allow "mixed-mode authentication"
(what Cisco calls it anyway). This would allow clients regardless of
it's authentication settings to authenticate and communicate with your
AP. You should then add the MAC-addresses of your printer(s) to
the "white list" (good guy list).

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:00:12 +0200, "Henry Olsen" <spamtrap@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>"Bob Mariotti" wrote:
>
>> I'm designing an 802.11g wireless network where all PC clients are
>> using WPA. I also need to connect several parallel printers
>> wirelessly and I cannot find any wireles print servers that support
>> WPA.
>>
>> So - my question(s) are:
>>
>> 1) does anyone know of any?
>
>Not that I'm aware of.
>
>> 2) Any way to connect any wireless print servers (b or g) in a
>> non-secure way IF the AP has WPA enabled?
>
>Change set AP's settings to allow "mixed-mode authentication"
>(what Cisco calls it anyway). This would allow clients regardless of
>it's authentication settings to authenticate and communicate with your
>AP. You should then add the MAC-addresses of your printer(s) to
>the "white list" (good guy list).

Thanks, Harry.

I was unaware of "mixed mode" authentication as I have not worked with
any WPA's as of yet. For anyone else's information I did locate g
mode wireless print servers that support WPA. Its the Motorola
WPS870G and costs about $160 USD.

Thanks again.

Bob