is windows xp NT?

I recently bought a hp desktop with windows xp pro. I tried to install one of
the programs that i had been running on my 98 machine. i got a message "NT
does not support the software". I am looking to buy a dvd copier program and
it said it was supported by windows xp but it also said it was not supported
by NT. is xp NT or not?
i'm so confused
4 answers Last reply
More about windows

    rpcutter wrote:
    > I recently bought a hp desktop with windows xp pro. I tried to
    > install one of the programs that i had been running on my 98 machine.
    > i got a message "NT does not support the software". I am looking to
    > buy a dvd copier program and it said it was supported by windows xp
    > but it also said it was not supported by NT. is xp NT or not?
    > i'm so confused

    You should not be.. There were two "series" of Windows at one time.

    Windows 9x/ME - Windows 95, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SE, ME....
    Windows NT series - NT 3.5, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, 2003....

    However, Windows XP - although in the NT series - is more advanced and has
    compatibility modes for Window 9x applications. Not to mention that usually
    with hardware when they tell you what OS it is 'compatible' with - it means
    what they wrote drivers for.. Drivers are how the software (Operating
    System) interacts with the hardware. Many times drivers written for Windows
    2000 work in Windows XP.. But if there are no drivers written for Windows
    2000, then it probably won't work in Windows 2000 even if it works in XP.

    In short - With hardware - if it says it has drivers for Windows 2000/XP -
    you are likely fine.
    With software, you really want it to say Windows 2000/XP - but it could have
    been made before either of those were out and in compatible modes, Windows
    XP should work.

    Use the built in Windows Help..

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Thank You for the help

    "rpcutter" wrote:

    > I recently bought a hp desktop with windows xp pro. I tried to install one of
    > the programs that i had been running on my 98 machine. i got a message "NT
    > does not support the software". I am looking to buy a dvd copier program and
    > it said it was supported by windows xp but it also said it was not supported
    > by NT. is xp NT or not?
    > i'm so confused

    If you need to get DVD recording software try Stomp Record Now Max

    http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax/rnmx-retail.phtml?stp

    BAR wrote:
    > If you need to get DVD recording software try Stomp Record Now Max
    >
    > http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax/rnmx-retail.phtml?stp

    DeepBurner Free
    http://www.deepburner.com/

    CDBurnerXP Pro