is windows xp NT?

a b α HP
February 4, 2005 12:47:03 AM

I recently bought a hp desktop with windows xp pro. I tried to install one of
the programs that i had been running on my 98 machine. i got a message "NT
does not support the software". I am looking to buy a dvd copier program and
it said it was supported by windows xp but it also said it was not supported
by NT. is xp NT or not?
i'm so confused

More about : windows

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 4, 2005 2:58:11 AM

rpcutter wrote:
> I recently bought a hp desktop with windows xp pro. I tried to
> install one of the programs that i had been running on my 98 machine.
> i got a message "NT does not support the software". I am looking to
> buy a dvd copier program and it said it was supported by windows xp
> but it also said it was not supported by NT. is xp NT or not?
> i'm so confused

You should not be.. There were two "series" of Windows at one time.

Windows 9x/ME - Windows 95, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SE, ME....
Windows NT series - NT 3.5, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, 2003....

However, Windows XP - although in the NT series - is more advanced and has
compatibility modes for Window 9x applications. Not to mention that usually
with hardware when they tell you what OS it is 'compatible' with - it means
what they wrote drivers for.. Drivers are how the software (Operating
System) interacts with the hardware. Many times drivers written for Windows
2000 work in Windows XP.. But if there are no drivers written for Windows
2000, then it probably won't work in Windows 2000 even if it works in XP.

In short - With hardware - if it says it has drivers for Windows 2000/XP -
you are likely fine.
With software, you really want it to say Windows 2000/XP - but it could have
been made before either of those were out and in compatible modes, Windows
XP should work.

Use the built in Windows Help..

--
<- Shenan ->
a b α HP

Thank You for the help

"rpcutter" wrote:

> I recently bought a hp desktop with windows xp pro. I tried to install one of
> the programs that i had been running on my 98 machine. i got a message "NT
> does not support the software". I am looking to buy a dvd copier program and
> it said it was supported by windows xp but it also said it was not supported
> by NT. is xp NT or not?
> i'm so confused
Related resources
February 4, 2005 8:49:04 PM

If you need to get DVD recording software try Stomp Record Now Max

http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax/rnmx-retail.phtml?...

"rpcutter" wrote:

> Thank You for the help
>
> "rpcutter" wrote:
>
> > I recently bought a hp desktop with windows xp pro. I tried to install one of
> > the programs that i had been running on my 98 machine. i got a message "NT
> > does not support the software". I am looking to buy a dvd copier program and
> > it said it was supported by windows xp but it also said it was not supported
> > by NT. is xp NT or not?
> > i'm so confused
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 4, 2005 11:14:06 PM

BAR wrote:
> If you need to get DVD recording software try Stomp Record Now Max
>
> http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax/rnmx-retail.phtml?...

DeepBurner Free
http://www.deepburner.com/

CDBurnerXP Pro