Chance to block question

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hey all. I have a level 36 fanat/zeal paladin in act 5... and I don't
get this chance to block thing.

His gothic shield says chance to block 46%, and holy shield is
supposed to give +31% chance to block... well, when I hold the mouse
over defense it says chance to block 8%. With holy shield it's 12%.
How come? How is this calculated? It seems rediculously low, doesn't
it?
9 answers Last reply
More about chance block question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:sn1r615mi58a4dr0pjthfh87c74tfjubdt@4ax.com...

    > His gothic shield says chance to block 46%, and holy shield is
    > supposed to give +31% chance to block... well, when I hold the mouse
    > over defense it says chance to block 8%. With holy shield it's 12%.
    > How come? How is this calculated? It seems rediculously low, doesn't
    > it?

    The listed stats are BASE chance to block. The base chance is modified by
    clvl and dex.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    In article <sn1r615mi58a4dr0pjthfh87c74tfjubdt@4ax.com>,
    Guardian Pegasus
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va>
    wrote:

    > Hey all. I have a level 36 fanat/zeal paladin in act 5... and I don't
    > get this chance to block thing.
    >
    > His gothic shield says chance to block 46%, and holy shield is
    > supposed to give +31% chance to block... well, when I hold the mouse
    > over defense it says chance to block 8%. With holy shield it's 12%.
    > How come? How is this calculated? It seems rediculously low, doesn't
    > it?


    Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Yikes, DEX of 26-27 at clvl 36? wow
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Larry Geyer <larrygeyer@comcast.net> had this idea for a movie:

    >Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]

    And a few additional notes for this formula:

    1. "Total Blocking" (i.e. the chance after dexterity and character level are
    factored in) is capped to 75%

    2. "Blocking" is the blocking percentage listed on your shield, plus the bonus
    from holy shield, plus any other items that add to chance to block, such as
    Twitchthroe armour, crafted safety amulets, etc. This is not capped in any
    way.


    --
    If in doubt, hit with axe.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:48:44 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >Larry Geyer <larrygeyer@comcast.net> had this idea for a movie:
    >
    >>Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]
    >
    >And a few additional notes for this formula:
    >
    >1. "Total Blocking" (i.e. the chance after dexterity and character level are
    >factored in) is capped to 75%
    >
    >2. "Blocking" is the blocking percentage listed on your shield, plus the bonus
    >from holy shield, plus any other items that add to chance to block, such as
    >Twitchthroe armour, crafted safety amulets, etc. This is not capped in any
    >way.
    >
    >
    >--
    >If in doubt, hit with axe.
    Ok, I'll take a swing:

    Isn't blocking capped at 75%??
    (Keep in mind that I only play "classic")

    ....
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    noneyabusiness <me@you.com> had this idea for a movie:

    >Ok, I'll take a swing:

    >Isn't blocking capped at 75%??

    Like I said, yes. Above formula and my follow on are for the expansion game.

    In classic (the non-expansion game), chance to block is derived purely from
    your items/skills with "chance to block" (e.g. shield + holy shield skill +
    other boosters)... dexterity and level play no part.


    --
    If in doubt, hit with axe.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:23:36 -0500, "Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net>
    wrote:

    >The listed stats are BASE chance to block. The base chance is modified by
    >clvl and dex.

    Aha! Thanks! He has shitty dex... hehe
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    On 26 Apr 2005 12:09:43 -0700, "Jason Tinling"
    <jason.tinling@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Yikes, DEX of 26-27 at clvl 36? wow

    lol well, I found an Aldur's Rhytm with 3 sockets I wanted him to use
    at clvl42, and it required no dex. Luckily I had about 50-60 stat
    points saved up and unused. He now has 95 dex and chance to block 75%
    in nightmare act 2.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

    Noneya? Are you playing ET?

    "noneyabusiness" <me@you.com> a écrit dans le message de
    news:3pjr615ltop94hdv74d7epk28icgspk0rm@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:48:44 +1200, Stephen van Ham
    > <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >Larry Geyer <larrygeyer@comcast.net> had this idea for a movie:
    > >
    > >>Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]
    > >
    > >And a few additional notes for this formula:
    > >
    > >1. "Total Blocking" (i.e. the chance after dexterity and character level
    are
    > >factored in) is capped to 75%
    > >
    > >2. "Blocking" is the blocking percentage listed on your shield, plus the
    bonus
    > >from holy shield, plus any other items that add to chance to block, such
    as
    > >Twitchthroe armour, crafted safety amulets, etc. This is not capped in
    any
    > >way.
    > >
    > >
    > >--
    > >If in doubt, hit with axe.
    > Ok, I'll take a swing:
    >
    > Isn't blocking capped at 75%??
    > (Keep in mind that I only play "classic")
    >
    > ...
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Diablo Video Games