Chance to block question

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hey all. I have a level 36 fanat/zeal paladin in act 5... and I don't
get this chance to block thing.

His gothic shield says chance to block 46%, and holy shield is
supposed to give +31% chance to block... well, when I hold the mouse
over defense it says chance to block 8%. With holy shield it's 12%.
How come? How is this calculated? It seems rediculously low, doesn't
it?

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:sn1r615mi58a4dr0pjthfh87c74tfjubdt@4ax.com...

> His gothic shield says chance to block 46%, and holy shield is
> supposed to give +31% chance to block... well, when I hold the mouse
> over defense it says chance to block 8%. With holy shield it's 12%.
> How come? How is this calculated? It seems rediculously low, doesn't
> it?

The listed stats are BASE chance to block. The base chance is modified by
clvl and dex.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <sn1r615mi58a4dr0pjthfh87c74tfjubdt@4ax.com>,
wrote:

> Hey all. I have a level 36 fanat/zeal paladin in act 5... and I don't
> get this chance to block thing.
>
> His gothic shield says chance to block 46%, and holy shield is
> supposed to give +31% chance to block... well, when I hold the mouse
> over defense it says chance to block 8%. With holy shield it's 12%.
> How come? How is this calculated? It seems rediculously low, doesn't
> it?

Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Larry Geyer <larrygeyer@comcast.net> had this idea for a movie:

>Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]

And a few additional notes for this formula:

1. "Total Blocking" (i.e. the chance after dexterity and character level are
factored in) is capped to 75%

2. "Blocking" is the blocking percentage listed on your shield, plus the bonus
from holy shield, plus any other items that add to chance to block, such as
Twitchthroe armour, crafted safety amulets, etc. This is not capped in any
way.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:48:44 +1200, Stephen van Ham
<svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Larry Geyer <larrygeyer@comcast.net> had this idea for a movie:
>
>>Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]
>
>And a few additional notes for this formula:
>
>1. "Total Blocking" (i.e. the chance after dexterity and character level are
>factored in) is capped to 75%
>
>2. "Blocking" is the blocking percentage listed on your shield, plus the bonus
>from holy shield, plus any other items that add to chance to block, such as
>Twitchthroe armour, crafted safety amulets, etc. This is not capped in any
>way.
>

>--
>If in doubt, hit with axe.
Ok, I'll take a swing:

Isn't blocking capped at 75%??
(Keep in mind that I only play "classic")

noneyabusiness <me@you.com> had this idea for a movie:

>Ok, I'll take a swing:

>Isn't blocking capped at 75%??

Like I said, yes. Above formula and my follow on are for the expansion game.

In classic (the non-expansion game), chance to block is derived purely from
your items/skills with "chance to block" (e.g. shield + holy shield skill +
other boosters)... dexterity and level play no part.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:23:36 -0500, "Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net>
wrote:

>The listed stats are BASE chance to block. The base chance is modified by
>clvl and dex.

Aha! Thanks! He has shitty dex... hehe

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On 26 Apr 2005 12:09:43 -0700, "Jason Tinling"
<jason.tinling@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yikes, DEX of 26-27 at clvl 36? wow

lol well, I found an Aldur's Rhytm with 3 sockets I wanted him to use
at clvl42, and it required no dex. Luckily I had about 50-60 stat
points saved up and unused. He now has 95 dex and chance to block 75%
in nightmare act 2.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Noneya? Are you playing ET?