Cellphone as modem??

Last response: in Network Providers
June 16, 2004 8:28:00 PM

How reliable is using your cell phone as a modem? I heard this can be done
with many of the phones, including all the LG.
Any information on this would be very apreciated.

More about : cellphone modem

June 16, 2004 10:22:19 PM

Josh Grameson <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote:
: How reliable is using your cell phone as a modem? I heard this can be done
: with many of the phones, including all the LG.
: Any information on this would be very apreciated.

Reliable? What do you mean? Ability to get on the network often?
Phone crashing?

I use my Nokia 3589i to connect my laptop to the internet via the
Verizon 3G network. I use ssh to connect directly to a Linux box so
if I am not always connected, I'd know. And with Verizon I see lots
of stop-and-starts, jerkiness. So I don't have a constant connection
to the net. But, 99% of the people out there don't need this
"constant on" thing. All it means to them is that they wait an extra
second or two for their web page to load or email to send.

Also, lately I have noticed the phone itself freezes up sometimes
after I have been connected for a while. I have found that the only
remedy is to turn the phone off and back on again. Presumably this is
something perculiar to the 3589i or just my particular phone.

I don't use my phone often to get on the net, anyway - it's an
"evening/weekend/in-a-pinch" thing so for that it works great. I
would never want to rely on it for my main internet connection,
though. Is that what you were asking?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 16, 2004 10:52:51 PM

what speed do u get?

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> Josh Grameson <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote:
> : How reliable is using your cell phone as a modem? I heard this can be
done
> : with many of the phones, including all the LG.
> : Any information on this would be very apreciated.
>
> Reliable? What do you mean? Ability to get on the network often?
> Phone crashing?
>
> I use my Nokia 3589i to connect my laptop to the internet via the
> Verizon 3G network. I use ssh to connect directly to a Linux box so
> if I am not always connected, I'd know. And with Verizon I see lots
> of stop-and-starts, jerkiness. So I don't have a constant connection
> to the net. But, 99% of the people out there don't need this
> "constant on" thing. All it means to them is that they wait an extra
> second or two for their web page to load or email to send.
>
> Also, lately I have noticed the phone itself freezes up sometimes
> after I have been connected for a while. I have found that the only
> remedy is to turn the phone off and back on again. Presumably this is
> something perculiar to the 3589i or just my particular phone.
>
> I don't use my phone often to get on the net, anyway - it's an
> "evening/weekend/in-a-pinch" thing so for that it works great. I
> would never want to rely on it for my main internet connection,
> though. Is that what you were asking?
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

June 17, 2004 1:46:28 AM

"Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in news:7G0Ac.17591313
$Id.2904571@news.easynews.com:

> what speed do u get?

I've only been playing around with it a few times lately, but think I will
now take my laptop on vacation with me. It has worked fine, but I have
probably only been connected for up to about half an hour at a time. I
don't happen to recall download speed testing, which has varied. But,
downloading files from three different locations have been at a Mozilla
reported speed of 14Kps, 15Kps, and 16Kps - a good three times 56k dialup.

--
Tom McCune
June 17, 2004 2:16:27 AM

Josh Grameson <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote:
: what speed do u get?

Good question. Unfortunately, the phone connects to the computer at a
fairly high speed (220kbps or something like that?) and that's what
shows up on the popup when you make the connection, but that has no
bearing at all on how fast your internet connection is. I've heard it
is roughly the same as a 56K modem, give or take a little.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 17, 2004 2:27:38 AM

Something I can't resist commenting on. I know when I got my phone over a
year ago, I was told that it (the America's Choice plan) included the
Internet access on Minutes of Use basis - it seemed too good to believe,
but my tests worked fine then and again recently. However, I went with my
daughter yesterday when she renewed her contract, and went up from the $35
plan I still have, to the current $39 plan. I asked the salesman about her
having Internet access and he said no. When I told him they told me that I
did, and that perhaps it was because I have a commercial account, he said
no. So, I guess the debate about the access goes on!

--
Tom McCune
June 17, 2004 2:36:48 AM

Tom McCune <news@delete_thismccune.cc> wrote:
: Something I can't resist commenting on. I know when I got my phone over a
: year ago, I was told that it (the America's Choice plan) included the
: Internet access on Minutes of Use basis - it seemed too good to believe,
: but my tests worked fine then and again recently. However, I went with my
: daughter yesterday when she renewed her contract, and went up from the $35
: plan I still have, to the current $39 plan. I asked the salesman about her
: having Internet access and he said no. When I told him they told me that I
: did, and that perhaps it was because I have a commercial account, he said
: no. So, I guess the debate about the access goes on!

I think your salesman was just wrong, as salespeople in this industry
often are. You can see for sure whether you have internet access -
it's now called "National Access MOU" or something. If you see that
listed on your bill under included features, you still have free
internet access (or "Minutes of Use basis" as you say). I signed my
contract in December - it was not a commercial plan, just a regular
cell phone, and it has National Access. I'm guessing America's Choice
still comes with it.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 17, 2004 5:05:28 AM

usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in news:fylachj72943033609
@bizaveMYSHOES.com:

> I think your salesman was just wrong, as salespeople in this industry
> often are. You can see for sure whether you have internet access -
> it's now called "National Access MOU" or something. If you see that
> listed on your bill under included features, you still have free
> internet access (or "Minutes of Use basis" as you say). I signed my
> contract in December - it was not a commercial plan, just a regular
> cell phone, and it has National Access. I'm guessing America's Choice
> still comes with it.

Thanks Andrew,

I just checked online. Mine does include
"NationalAccess Minutes of Use"
But, I'm anxious to ask to see my daughter's when she gets her new
statement.

I don't have any "mobile to mobile" minutes but am thinking of extending my
contract to upgrade to the free inservice anytime use. But, I sure don't
want to lose this. I think I may call my person and ask.

--
Tom McCune
June 17, 2004 5:05:29 AM

"Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message

> I just checked online. Mine does include
> "NationalAccess Minutes of Use"
> But, I'm anxious to ask to see my daughter's when she gets her new
> statement.
>
> I don't have any "mobile to mobile" minutes but am thinking of
> extending my contract to upgrade to the free inservice anytime use.
> But, I sure don't want to lose this. I think I may call my person
> and ask.

Since you know how to access your bill, see if you have Nat In-Network (or
something like that, different markets have different names) listed as a
current feature. They changed the name a few months ago from mobile to
mobile.
June 17, 2004 5:47:38 AM

Tom McCune <news@delete_thismccune.cc> wrote:
: I just checked online. Mine does include
: "NationalAccess Minutes of Use"
: But, I'm anxious to ask to see my daughter's when she gets her new
: statement.

You don't have to wait - just have her login (or login for her) on
VerizonWireless.com. Should tell you right there in her account.

: I don't have any "mobile to mobile" minutes but am thinking of extending my
: contract to upgrade to the free inservice anytime use. But, I sure don't
: want to lose this. I think I may call my person and ask.

Don't even mention "internet" - just ask if you will be keeping
"National Access" if you renew. If you mention "internet" they will
probably try to sell you an internet plan you don't want or need.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 17, 2004 6:14:51 AM

> You don't have to wait - just have her login (or login for her) on
> VerizonWireless.com. Should tell you right there in her account.

She has recently made a career change and is currently without Internet
access, but I'll ask her to check when she is home visiting next.
Unfortunately, her apartment (actually, I think the whole village) has
Verizon coverage that is too poor to bother trying Internet access -
hopefully, that will soon change.

--
Tom McCune
June 17, 2004 6:20:14 AM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in

> Since you know how to access your bill, see if you have Nat In-Network
> (or something like that, different markets have different names)
> listed as a current feature. They changed the name a few months ago
> from mobile to mobile.

The "Natl IN-Network Call Min" refers to the "Mobile to Mobile" use. I
think the "NationalAccess Minutes of Use" is what is referring to the
Internet access.

BTW, I wish I could use the safer Mozilla instead of having to resort to IE
to access the Verizon bill.

--
Tom McCune
June 17, 2004 6:20:15 AM

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Since you know how to access your bill, see if you have Nat
>> In-Network (or something like that, different markets have different
>> names) listed as a current feature. They changed the name a few
>> months ago from mobile to mobile.
>
> The "Natl IN-Network Call Min" refers to the "Mobile to Mobile" use.
> I think the "NationalAccess Minutes of Use" is what is referring to
> the Internet access.
>
> BTW, I wish I could use the safer Mozilla instead of having to resort
> to IE to access the Verizon bill.

Nope, I'll paste the appropriate section of my bill (as text only though, it
looks real pretty on the website)
<Start Paste>
Your Service Profile Item Description
Current
calling plan: America's Choice 400 Peak Unl N&W 1000 Mtm $39.99 2y 0902
Monthly charge $39.99
Monthly allowance minutes 400 general
Additional per minute charge $.45 peak, $.45 off-peak

Promotional Details:
Current: Beginning on 08/20/03: Unlimited night & weekend minute
allowance per month - 2yr contract

Enhanced Services: Call Delivery , Voice Mail, IQ Service Package, CDMA
Digital W/TXT
Msg, CallerID, Message Waiting Ind, New Every Two, Streamline
Billing, Nat IN-Network -1000 Mins, Mobile Web - 0 Alerts, National
Access
Nat IN-Network -1000 Mins
Monthly allowance 1000 general
Additional per minute $.45 peak, $.45 off-peak

Current Features: Nat IN-Network -1000 Mins
Monthly allowance 1000 general
Additional per minute $.45 peak, $.45 off-peak
<End Paste>

Note, there is BOTH National Access *AND* Nat IN-Network.

PS, for those of you wondering, the enchanced service "National Access" is
what is called here the Minutes Of Use (NA-MOU). It allows me to use the
highspeed NA network (About 70k-90k) at the cost of plan minutes. If it
shows on your plan, you already have that option and can use the high speed
data stuff.

Sorry for the bad memory here, but someone had a daughter in an area with
not so hot service, the high-speed National Access MOU is packetized data
and works very well even in low signal areas. If that was you (or whomever
it was), if the service is already on their plan, they can do data access
now.
PS, for those lurking, it was added free on any *new* (not renewed or
extended) contracts between July 15th 2003, and Dec 31st 2003.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 4:05:15 AM

"Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in news:ky_zc.17673940
$Of.2933166@news.easynews.com:

> How reliable is using your cell phone as a modem? I heard this can be done
> with many of the phones, including all the LG.
> Any information on this would be very apreciated.

it is extremely reliable and very very very slow.

the high speed connection available on most neweer phones is much better, and
also reliable.

however you must use a cable ad verizon does not support the infra red phones
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 2:29:24 PM

What are these newer phones you are refering to? I have to get a new phone
next week and I want to make sure that I have this option.

thanks

"james g. keegan jr." <keegan@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in news:ky_zc.17673940
> $Of.2933166@news.easynews.com:
>
> > How reliable is using your cell phone as a modem? I heard this can be
done
> > with many of the phones, including all the LG.
> > Any information on this would be very apreciated.
>

> it is extremely reliable and very very very slow.
>
> the high speed connection available on most neweer phones is much better,
and
> also reliable.
>
> however you must use a cable ad verizon does not support the infra red
phones
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 8:53:19 AM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:23:46 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
life, the universe, and everything:

>, the high-speed National Access MOU is packetized data
>and works very well even in low signal areas.

Signal level does seem to have some effect on data throughput, in my
experience.

>PS, for those lurking, it was added free on any *new* (not renewed or
>extended) contracts between July 15th 2003, and Dec 31st 2003.

To be technical, it was added to my contract last November when I renewed.
However, I was previously on an old Single Rate plan, not AC, and was
month-to-month.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I have left orders for me to be awakened at any time in case of a national
emergency, even if I am in a cabinet meeting." - Ronald Reagan
..
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 8:53:20 AM

"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:23:46 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> chose to add this to the great equation
> of life, the universe, and everything:
>
>> , the high-speed National Access MOU is packetized data
>> and works very well even in low signal areas.
>
> Signal level does seem to have some effect on data throughput, in my
> experience.
>
>> PS, for those lurking, it was added free on any *new* (not renewed or
>> extended) contracts between July 15th 2003, and Dec 31st 2003.
>
> To be technical, it was added to my contract last November when I
> renewed. However, I was previously on an old Single Rate plan, not
> AC, and was month-to-month.

To be technical to your being technical, if you went from an old expired SR
contract, to a new AC contract, then you fit in the new contract pigeonhole,
since the old one wasn't renewed nor extended (Those require keeping the
same plan), if you change plans (like SR to AC), that's a new contract (call
CS and ask when your contract start date was :) .

PS, did you get a new phone? I didn't and found out a year later the
salesperson had stolen it.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 7:43:31 AM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:00:02 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> chose to add this to the great
equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>PS, did you get a new phone?

Yes, the plan switch was as much about getting a new phone as needing more
minutes.

> I didn't and found out a year later the
>salesperson had stolen it.

Oops. How'd that end up?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons." - Spock
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 7:43:32 AM

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:00:02 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> chose to add this to the
> great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
>
>> PS, did you get a new phone?
>
> Yes, the plan switch was as much about getting a new phone as needing
> more minutes.
>
>> I didn't and found out a year later the
>> salesperson had stolen it.
>
> Oops. How'd that end up?

I supposedly just changed phone numbers (I travel and the account was on
autopay), turns out the salesperson started a new contract for me (instead
of just changing phone numbers, and never giving me a new phone), now a year
later (when I tried to use the new every two from the original contract), it
turns out, that even though I never got a new phone (when I thought I had
only changed phone numbers), CS tells me, no you aren't eligible, you got a
new phone when you started a new contract, and 6 months later traded it for
another phone, not to mention the salesman at the time got a commission for
starting a new contract. My response was no, I never ever did that.
Lets see, salesperson got a commission on a new contract, and kept the new
phone that I never got.... Hmmmmm *I* would call that theft.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 9:07:03 AM

David S writes:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:23:46 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
> life, the universe, and everything:
>
> >PS, for those lurking, it was added free on any *new* (not renewed or
> >extended) contracts between July 15th 2003, and Dec 31st 2003.

FYI, my wife upgraded her phone in May 2004 and switched from some
very low cost local only plan to AC, and NA-MOU was added without
asking. This was at Radio Shack, by the way.

--
Theodore Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA
Anonymous

"Theodore Heise" <theise@netins.net> wrote in message
> David S writes:
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:23:46 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> > <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
> > life, the universe, and everything:
> >
> > >PS, for those lurking, it was added free on any *new* (not renewed or
> > >extended) contracts between July 15th 2003, and Dec 31st 2003.
>
> FYI, my wife upgraded her phone in May 2004 and switched from some
> very low cost local only plan to AC, and NA-MOU was added without
> asking. This was at Radio Shack, by the way.
>
> --
> Theodore Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

No offense to you Theodore, I just want to make sure I understand what a
*new* contract means. (you had used the word plan, I used the word contract,
I always thought they were almost the same but not exactly. I always thought
you could do things on the same plan/contract like change minutes, but as
soon as you change plans completely (like from local to national, SR to AC
etc) that generated a *new* contract, and a new contract start date, and
allows you to automatically add any free promos at that time for free. (that
was my basis for the word *new* above, and do not become extended or renewed
since they aren't the same plan/contract anymore).

The reason I wonder is that several people have replied to the post I made,
so I'm wondering if I have it right or wrong. When I changed from SRN to AC
they told me it was a whole new contract (I was due for NE2 and was told go
for a new phone first on the existing contract and THEN change
plans/contracts, or I would lose the NE2)
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 9:56:15 AM

In article <2jckmiF103mgrU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>PS, for those lurking, it was added free on any *new* (not renewed or
>extended) contracts between July 15th 2003, and Dec 31st 2003.

Hmm. I got a new AC 400min plan, along with a VX-4400, at the end of
January 2004; it has NA-MOU.

--jh

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise, John Hood, cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow." He was +usenet@

"john hood" <cgull+usenet-1087883486@glup.org> wrote in message
> In article <2jckmiF103mgrU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
> >PS, for those lurking, it was added free on any *new* (not renewed or
> >extended) contracts between July 15th 2003, and Dec 31st 2003.
>
> Hmm. I got a new AC 400min plan, along with a VX-4400, at the end of
> January 2004; it has NA-MOU.
>
> --jh

Cool, what market are you in? Seems that date was for the market I am in
(Baltimore/DC Market).
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:57:49 PM

In article <2jq0fmF14j4boU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote:

>"john hood" <cgull+usenet-1087883486@glup.org> wrote in message
>> Hmm. I got a new AC 400min plan, along with a VX-4400, at the end of
>> January 2004; it has NA-MOU.
>>
>> --jh
>
>Cool, what market are you in? Seems that date was for the market I am in
>(Baltimore/DC Market).

Boston.

--jh

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise, John Hood, cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow." He was +usenet@
*so* right. --Ofer Inbar glup.org
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 8:20:26 AM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:18:52 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> chose to add this to the great
equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>>> I didn't and found out a year later the
>>> salesperson had stolen it.
>>
>> Oops. How'd that end up?
>
>I supposedly just changed phone numbers (I travel and the account was on
>autopay), turns out the salesperson started a new contract for me (instead
>of just changing phone numbers, and never giving me a new phone), now a year
>later (when I tried to use the new every two from the original contract), it
>turns out, that even though I never got a new phone (when I thought I had
>only changed phone numbers), CS tells me, no you aren't eligible, you got a
>new phone when you started a new contract, and 6 months later traded it for
>another phone, not to mention the salesman at the time got a commission for
>starting a new contract. My response was no, I never ever did that.
>Lets see, salesperson got a commission on a new contract, and kept the new
>phone that I never got.... Hmmmmm *I* would call that theft.

But did it get resolved to your satisfaction? Did the salescritter get
arrested, or at least fired?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Yes, I am a doctor, but I'm Presbyterian. Will that be all right?"
- Maj. Charles E. Winchester III
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 8:20:27 AM

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:18:52 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> chose to add this to the great
> equation of life, the universe, and everything:

> >> Oops. How'd that end up?
> >
> >I supposedly just changed phone numbers (I travel and the account was on
> >autopay), turns out the salesperson started a new contract for me
(instead
> >of just changing phone numbers, and never giving me a new phone), now a
year
> >later (when I tried to use the new every two from the original contract),
it
> >turns out, that even though I never got a new phone (when I thought I had
> >only changed phone numbers), CS tells me, no you aren't eligible, you got
> >new phone when you started a new contract, and 6 months later traded it
for
> >another phone, not to mention the salesman at the time got a commission
for
> >starting a new contract. My response was no, I never ever did that.
> >Lets see, salesperson got a commission on a new contract, and kept the
new
> >phone that I never got.... Hmmmmm *I* would call that theft.
>
> But did it get resolved to your satisfaction? Did the salescritter get
> arrested, or at least fired?

Nah, he had quit already, turns out he had done the same to several dozen
other people too. Verizon made a note that changed the contract date back to
what it was supposed to be, and things would be fine, except for me being on
the West Coast on vacation, the contract is on the East Coast, and the sales
droids here in Las Vegas, can't read English (the notes on my account
changing the contract start date are written in English), so I'll probably
have to wait until I am back on the East Coast to get a new phone (the
extras like unlimited N&W, NA-MOU etc are still active, phone I have still
works, so no rush to change things). I should note here that I came to Las
Vegas on vacation last November, and am still here 8 months later (long
vacation, but I don't gamble so I still have money :)

There is a bright side, I learned a major lesson. The lesson learned out of
this whole thing was how to buy phones elsewhere (for cheaper and with the
features I want, usually way cheaper than Verizon charges for the same
phone, you do **NOT** have to buy the meager selection of phones from
verizon, they just have to be compatible), how to activate them on my
existing contract (log on to the verizon website and then my account, click
on activate phone, enter the ESN, and have it work on my account about 5 or
10 mins later), order anything I want or need online, have it shipped to my
home (or the hotel I am at), and never ever deal with the idiots in a local
verizon store again. Being mad or annoyed doesn't do a bit of good, and just
hurts me, my philosophy is learn how to do it myself so it never happens
again.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 6:39:49 PM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:28:00 GMT, Josh Grameson wrote:

> How reliable is using your cell phone as a modem? I heard this can be done
> with many of the phones, including all the LG.
> Any information on this would be very apreciated.

I use my Moto 730 with the $4.99 Mobile Web plan to access my email when I'm
in an area that doesn't support my dialup ISP or when the hotel charges for
outside local calls from the room. (I have NSR and National Access isn't
available).

It runs at 14.4K, but for occasional use and email/text it works fine for
me.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:07:04 AM

Peter Pan writes:
> "Theodore Heise" <theise@netins.net> wrote in message
> >
> > FYI, my wife upgraded her phone in May 2004 and switched from some
> > very low cost local only plan to AC, and NA-MOU was added without
> > asking. This was at Radio Shack, by the way.
>
> No offense to you Theodore, I just want to make sure I understand what a
> *new* contract means. (you had used the word plan, I used the word contract,
> I always thought they were almost the same but not exactly. I always thought
> you could do things on the same plan/contract like change minutes, but as
> soon as you change plans completely (like from local to national, SR to AC
> etc) that generated a *new* contract, and a new contract start date, and
> allows you to automatically add any free promos at that time for free. (that
> was my basis for the word *new* above, and do not become extended or renewed
> since they aren't the same plan/contract anymore).

I'm not a lawyer, and didn't read the fine print, but can say with the
change from local to AC she also had a new 2-year commitment. Don't
know if that makes it a new contract, or if the original was amended.

--
Theodore Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 3:50:43 AM

Last night I was able to take in the Cubs game in Chicago (not necessarily
a pretty game, but exciting). So, I got to make my first away from home
use of accessing the Internet via my cell phone (hotel was walking distance
to Wrigley). While my home connections gave me download speeds of around
16KBs, the Chicago connection (I even redialed) was only about 1.2KB. The
tray icon showed showed something like 300kbs instead of the usual 110,000
(I'm still not home - this is by memory and my memory may be off right now
- it's been a long day of driving). I was pleased to have the access, but
disappointed to have the low speed connection.

BTW, I checked available WiFi connections. There were three, but two used
encryption, and the other had very low signal strength and was not usable.

--
Tom McCune
July 12, 2004 1:26:19 AM

Okay, I've been fussing around with this for a while and I still can't get
online in the Thumb area with my Verizon Wireless phone connected to my
laptop. It works perfectly fine either by #777 qnc/qnc or by dialing my own
modem pool from the Detroit area. But, as soon as I drive home to Caro, MI
it quits.

I take it that this means Thumb Cellular (an extended network CDMA carrier)
does not support data calls from Verizon customers? I expected that #777
would only work on native Verizon towers, but I didn't think that using an
extended digital network would cause it to not even be able to dial directly
to my own modem pool. What is up with that?

Thanks,

Jeff Phillips
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 1:26:20 AM

"Jeff P." <jeff_phil-NO@SPAM-yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I've been fussing around with this for a while and I still can't get
> online in the Thumb area with my Verizon Wireless phone connected to my
> laptop. It works perfectly fine either by #777 qnc/qnc or by dialing my
own
> modem pool from the Detroit area. But, as soon as I drive home to Caro, MI
> it quits.
>
> I take it that this means Thumb Cellular (an extended network CDMA
carrier)
> does not support data calls from Verizon customers? I expected that #777
> would only work on native Verizon towers, but I didn't think that using an
> extended digital network would cause it to not even be able to dial
directly
> to my own modem pool. What is up with that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff Phillips

That's your answer, the #777 only works 100% of the time on native verizon
service/towers. As soon as you go to extended, you should be able to use qnc
and dial your ISP direct. The #777 will only work on some extended networks
less than 100% of the time, not all, and who knows when/if it will ever be
enabled.

The #777 connect is the first step that some other providers are adding to
allow NA/1X connections. Because they connect at faster than dial-up speeds,
they have to have a high speed network for your phone to connect to (that's
what the #777 does, connects your phone to the providers network).

You SHOULD be able to call your ISP directly, BUT, at the reduced speed of a
QNC connection. The only time I ever had qnc not work was a while back when
I went to Alaska and was on an analog system (but of course I have only
tried a few). Are you in a digital or analog area?
!