wireless and WPA download speed observations

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 11:11:48 PM

Hello all,

While downloading a 1.9 Gb zipped file I disabled and re-enabled WPA
encryption a few times to see what the difference would be. Observations:

WPA-PSK / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s
WPA disabled: 360 Kb/s

Questions:

1. Is this a normal percentage of loss of speed due to the WPA encryption?
2. If not, what can I do to decrease the difference?

For clarity, the same 1.9 Gb file was being downloaded while I tested, I
pauzed the download before switching, resuming it after I switched.

Thanks and cheers,

Leon
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 11:17:44 PM

Leon <me@this.org.net.com> wrote in

> WPA-PSK / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s

oops. Make that: WPA - Pre Shared Passphrase / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s

Leon
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 1, 2004 9:22:17 AM

Leon <me@this.org.net.com> wrote in message news:<s94Zc.498859$y4.92157@news.easynews.com>...
> Leon <me@this.org.net.com> wrote in
>

> > WPA-PSK / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s
>
> oops. Make that: WPA - Pre Shared Passphrase / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s

So when you disable WPA, it works with no crypro at all, even WEP?
What is the speed with WEP-40 or 128?

--PA
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 1, 2004 6:17:38 PM

pavel_a@geeklife.com (Pavel A.) wrote in
news:D 3ca03a5.0409010422.10df51f8@posting.google.com:

> So when you disable WPA, it works with no crypro at all, even WEP?
> What is the speed with WEP-40 or 128?
>
> --PA

Yes, without encryption it works great and fast, I had 500 Kb/sec today. I
will not use WEP since that is marginally better than no encryption.

Leon
!