wireless and WPA download speed observations

Hello all,

While downloading a 1.9 Gb zipped file I disabled and re-enabled WPA
encryption a few times to see what the difference would be. Observations:

WPA-PSK / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s
WPA disabled: 360 Kb/s

Questions:

1. Is this a normal percentage of loss of speed due to the WPA encryption?
2. If not, what can I do to decrease the difference?

For clarity, the same 1.9 Gb file was being downloaded while I tested, I
pauzed the download before switching, resuming it after I switched.

Thanks and cheers,

Leon
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless download speed observations

    Leon <me@this.org.net.com> wrote in

    > WPA-PSK / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s

    oops. Make that: WPA - Pre Shared Passphrase / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s

    Leon

    Leon <me@this.org.net.com> wrote in message news:<s94Zc.498859$y4.92157@news.easynews.com>...
    > Leon <me@this.org.net.com> wrote in
    >

    > > WPA-PSK / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s
    >
    > oops. Make that: WPA - Pre Shared Passphrase / TKIP enabled: 157 Kb/s

    So when you disable WPA, it works with no crypro at all, even WEP?
    What is the speed with WEP-40 or 128?

    --PA

    pavel_a@geeklife.com (Pavel A.) wrote in

    > So when you disable WPA, it works with no crypro at all, even WEP?
    > What is the speed with WEP-40 or 128?
    >
    > --PA

    Yes, without encryption it works great and fast, I had 500 Kb/sec today. I
    will not use WEP since that is marginally better than no encryption.

    Leon

Wireless Encryption Download Wireless Networking